Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spring or Vernal Equinox, also Ostara (with various spellings)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring or Vernal Equinox, also Ostara (with various spellings)

Is it time to start the next holiday thread?

This year the date is March 20, 2008 at 05 48 Universal Time.

Does someone know how to translate UT to pacific and eastern times?

So, what are everyone's plans?
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us.
    --Bill Watterson

I don't have set plans yet but I'm hoping I'll be off work the day the Wiccan coven nearby is having their ritual. I'm not wiccan but its nice to celebrate with people of similar beliefs since I'm solitary. It was really fun last year anyways. I'm hoping to gain inspiration from this thread as to what to do.

Comment

this is one of the holidays that we have very few "traditions" for in my family.

Because it is the end of six weeks focus on want/need, I do try to find time to evaluate and write about any insights I've had into myself, and to give myself a good exfoliating scrub. Usually, we would have baby bunnies and chicks as well, but we have toned down on the livestock in the past year.

A bonfire is had with friends, and maybe the theme is Relief and renewal, and looking forward to spring and summer and the opportunities they bring.

We just bought our first house, so we are planning to bring a live coal from our bonfire at the old place, into the fireplace at our new one. We still have the rental home till the end of March and it has served as a spiritual gathering place for many over the past nine years.
      In a love affair with sunshine

Live this day like an altar to what you believe

Comment

Originally posted by RavenStars View Post
        Is it time to start the next holiday thread?

This year the date is March 20, 2008 at 05 48 Universal Time.

Does someone know how to translate UT to pacific and eastern times?

So, what are everyone's plans?
        I did a Google and found lots of info on translating UT to Pacific or Eastern time zone...

http://www.earthsky.org/article/universal-time

http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/zones.html

(not something I've had to worry much about since my sis-in-law moved back to the US from Germany - although she is in a different time zone here as well.)

I don't know what my Grove is going to be doing - we're going over the ritual tonight when we get together. I do know we'll be gathered around a fire pit and that we may do something in relation to there being a New Moon that night.

Comment

Living in a northern clime, our spring equinox celebrations usually coincide with a blizzard. Yet, the sun is stronger. The days are longer. And even here, the leaf buds are growing a little fuller and the willow trees are a-greening.. the branches, anyway.

We plants seed for the Ostara Circle. We each plant seeds in our own flower pot and also plant some in a large Circle flower pot. We say what it is we are planting in our hearts to grow in our lives in the coming months... for ourselves and for our Circle.

Then we can watch each day for the fist signs of a wee, green sprout. then many.. then leaves and much greening. It is heartening to see the brave new life set on the window sill with the white of blowing snow outside. Eventually the world outside melts and warms and catches up. At Lughnasadh I set the little flowers "free" by transplanting from the pot into a corner of a meadow so they can be part of the natural turning of the seasons. Sometimes the flowers seed and actually reproduce, so there is a little patch of wild flowers where before there was simple grasses.

Comment

I was working on my altar design today which I pretty much how I always start my ritual design... being that I'm a visual person. I've got something pretty going, but I haven't decided anything other then something to help me focus on my money handling skills. Oh, I was thinking about doing an update on the "requests" that I made to the four directions on Imbolc. I've been working on them, so it seems ritually important to celebrate what I've accomplished. It's really nice to hear what people will be doing, I'm always learning something new!
            The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us.
            --Bill Watterson

Comment

We have begun gardening. Yesterday it got up to about 75 degrees in our neighborhood, and for the past several days I have been appreciating the blooming crocuses in my front garden. The tulips are also poking through the earth. I watered and started dreaming of the new lilacs that will be planted over my dear Basha's grave, and the hubby dug up dying bushes that will give place to new, exuberant plant life after the Equinox.

Crocuses are my symbol of Spring Equinox time. They are Mother Earth opening herself to Father Sky again and giving birth. These deceptively delicate flowers bloom so early, as always, in Colorado, because of the wonderfully cold weather that alternates with warm, sunny days. And the bulb blooms survive the worst of it. The snow falls around them, and they poke up right through it. Easter is about the earliest it can possibly be this year (the scheduling of Easter depends on the full moon that falls immediately after Candlemas), and yet the crocuses (bright, lovely stars of yellow in front of my little bungalow) are up three weeks before Easter even arrives.

I'm still on my "lenten" celebration. Much like Cheddar's observation of simplicity after Candlemas, I do stick with a recognition of sacrifice and self-exploration over the weeks leading to the Equinox. I'm still thinking about what it means to have plenty as compared with enough.

But when the Equinox does arrive, I'm planning to recommit myself to the more spiritual side of my belief pursuits. As you all know, I'm a bit more a mystical pantheist than most here--I have had experiences that lead me to question whether there really might be a sentience behind the universe, even when my logic tells me there isn't one. And that less logical, more "Imbas" based side has been speaking to me. So this Equinox will entail a withdrawal into the me that is less logical and more... shall we say animal? Primitive? Even religious, if you want to put it that way...

I need to communicate with the part of my brain that talks to Mother Earth and Father Sky and my spirit guide and my non-logical, non-scientific self--the part of me that is so unevolved, so deeply, fallibly human as to need to commune with what I see as the writhing, thriving brain of What Is. Even if the only brain that is involved is indeed my own, I need to be with it. That is the birth that is, in three weeks, so deeply and impatiently awaited.

Yesterday, as I said, was 75 degrees F. Today was barely more than 30 with driving snow. It was beautiful. But when the spring of my next growth period comes, it will have been after a long, arduous gestation.

I recommend crocuses to anyone who is as antsy as I.

Peace
              Last edited by Eleisawolf; March 3rd, 2008, 01:45 AM.
              Working for Peace Pruning the Rambles

:hahugh: Banner made by me :hahugh:
              Definition of skepticism: Don't believe everything you think.

In wildness is the preservation of the world ~Henry David Thoreau

Pantheism Path Forum Guide

In memoriam, Basha: 4/1996 - 12/2007 * * * In memoriam, Tika: 9/1996 - 3/2008

Comment

Not sure yet what's in the works.

We've invited 2 of our friends, both of whom identify as some form of Pagan to join us for ritual. They'd both expressed interest in doing something with us, and this is when we're finally biting the bullet and asking them if they'd care to join us.

It's a scary thing. My wife and I are so accustomed to doing things alone, which means we get to do whatever we want and don't have to incorporate anyone else's needs or desires. Stepping into community is a big leap. Possibly creating a new community may be an even bigger one.

I'd love to go out and fly kites, if the weather's good and the others are amenable. Vernal Equinox is a big deal holiday for me, since I'm so dedicated to Wind. Since Vernal Equinox begins Spring, which has strong Air associations, it feels like "my" season (my birthday and my wedding anniversary are both in Spring). So I want to get out there and celebrate it in style.
                If you're lucky you'll find something that reflects you,
                helps you feel your life protects you,
                cradles you and connects you to everything.
                Dar Williams, "The Hudson"

Comment

Just curious if anyone has firmed up any plans. I haven't done much planning. Not even sure how the altar goes. We increased one of my meds, which not only did not help, it also made me feel stupid. My hope is by Thursday I'll be better able to take the task on. If it were tonight, I'd lay on my bed and do some visualization exercises.
                  --Bill Watterson

Comment

Originally posted by RavenStars View Post
                    Just curious if anyone has firmed up any plans. I haven't done much planning. Not even sure how the altar goes. We increased one of my meds, which not only did not help, it also made me feel stupid. My hope is by Thursday I'll be better able to take the task on. If it were tonight, I'd lay on my bed and do some visualization exercises.
                    2 of our friends are coming over Friday evening. We didn't make a lot of firm plans; one of the people coming hasn't practiced with other people for years, and the other hasn't practiced with other people ever. Not to mention that we've never all worked together. We didn't want to freak each other out with planning. So right now the idea is that they'll come over, we'll build a small fire in our fire bowl (if the weather's good), set sacred space, and then just talk about what Equinox means to us. And then have some food. Because it's just not Midwestern Paganism if you don't eat something afterward.
                    If you're lucky you'll find something that reflects you,
                    helps you feel your life protects you,
                    cradles you and connects you to everything.
                    Dar Williams, "The Hudson"

Comment

My dog is sick, we have Easter concert to perform at my husband's church choir church, and I'm exhausted. So plans will be minimal.

Equinox plans include whatever we do through church (actually, considering it's a religion I don't fully believe in, they do some excellent and meaningful services and events), going to the March Powwow on Saturday with my parents (if the dog can be left alone), and eating yummy Easter food with my parents on Sunday.

I think that will be quite enough for my stressed little self...

Peace
                      Working for Peace Pruning the Rambles

:hahugh: Banner made by me :hahugh:
                      Definition of skepticism: Don't believe everything you think.

In wildness is the preservation of the world ~Henry David Thoreau

Pantheism Path Forum Guide

In memoriam, Basha: 4/1996 - 12/2007 * * * In memoriam, Tika: 9/1996 - 3/2008

Comment

I'm going to start all of my beautiful vegetating plants and seedlings on an organic, high Nitrogen feed tomorrow. IMO, the Suns light begins waxing, if you will, at Vernal Equinox so I am going to encourage my plants to grow feircely as the Suns light increases.

Comment

It's always a great activity to go and walk in the woods looking for signs of spring. The river has been freed up for a while around here with the above-freezing daytime temperatures. While sitting in some duff today a number of spiders decided they wanted to say hello. They were cute little buggers... it's a shame I haven't studied entomology yet; unfortunately I can't peg the species. As usual, the invasive plant species are among the first to crop up. That's part of what makes them so problematic; they unfurl earlier in the spring and end up creating stiffer competition for the natives... even the early spring bloomers like Claytonia virginica. I'll have to go deeper into the woods tomorrow and see if any of the C. virginica are up yet. The snow isn't completely melted off here yet so they may wait another couple weeks yet. Oh, and here's a nice image of that herald of spring:

Spring Beauty - Claytonia virginica
                          I find signatures distracting, thus I have them turned off. So if you can see this, I can't see yours.

Comment

Happy Spring and Ostara! Enjoy !

*Off to start rituals
                            ~Jadewynd~

Everything the power does, it does in a circle.-Lakota
                            Regard Heaven as your father, Earth as your Mother and all things as your Brothers and Sisters.
                            -Native American
                            Peace comes within the souls of men, when they realize their oneness with the Universe, when they realize it is really everywhere... it is within each one of us.
                            Black Elk, Lakota Medicine Man

Certified Yoga Teacher

Comment

HAPPY SPRING!!!!!!!

This is a special time for me, I get VERY down in the winter and today I am filled with hope for green things beginning to grow and the world coming alive again!

We are having our annual homeschool Spring Equinox party here today! Tons of little heathens running amok, sunny & 65 degrees!

May the sun shine on you today!

Comment

Working...
                              X