Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spring or Vernal Equinox, also Ostara (with various spellings)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hope you're all having a great Ostara/whatever you call it

Went out for a long walk in the wind and rain - I tidied the house earlier and just needed to get myself clean too so went outside to get all the winter cobwebs washed and blown away... then had a hot shower when I got home!

Comment

My daughter and I got out - and took the basset hound along - went shopping for new furniture for the living room. Then picked up the girls who had spent the night with my friend/coven-mate and her granddaughter. My coven (grove) is celebrating Ostara on Saturday afternoon, hope it's not as windy then 'cause we wouldn't be able to have a fire in the firepit.

Comment

Originally posted by Windsmith View Post
        So right now the idea is that they'll come over, we'll build a small fire in our fire bowl (if the weather's good), set sacred space, and then just talk about what Equinox means to us.
        The snow started around midnight, and it's been falling steadily ever since. There's at least 3 inches on the ground right now. I'm guessing it's going to be a "no" on the fire bowl.
        If you're lucky you'll find something that reflects you,
        helps you feel your life protects you,
        cradles you and connects you to everything.
        Dar Williams, "The Hudson"

Comment

knock knock or bump bump...what do people have in store for the equinox?

I think I will be getting a tattoo
          In a love affair with sunshine

Live this day like an altar to what you believe

Comment

Tonight we're making sourdough bread to take tomorrow evening when we get together with friends for some unspecified holiday celebrating and merriment.

Then on Saturday, we're hoping to adopt a new cat! Yay!
            If you're lucky you'll find something that reflects you,
            helps you feel your life protects you,
            cradles you and connects you to everything.
            Dar Williams, "The Hudson"

Comment

Last year, I hanged up blown eggs from the trellis in my yard. Each of them had symbols about growth, rebirth, etc.

Not quite sure what I'm doing this year... It snuck up on me a bit, so it might be pretty laid back, sitting around outside, being thankful for the wonderful weather recently.

Comment

I've been baking cookies - made with eggs of course. Snickerdoodles from the egg yolks and meringue cookies made with the whites. Was hoping to get together with my gang tomorrow, but the weather is going to be a lot chillier than we were hoping. Not so great for a cookout and simple ritual.

Comment

On the 22nd I'm going to a ritual in Howell, New Jersey. There will also be a raffle, food afterwards and there will be people selling things. It's run by the same group who had the Imbolc festival I went to last month. I can't wait.

"Madness takes its toll, please have exact change".

-Jessica [aka Whitewolf]sigpic

Myspace:http://www.myspace.com/White_Wolf1

My Paganspace page: http://www.paganspace.net/profile/whitewolf51

Comment

Happy Spring!

I really wasn't prepared this year. Next year I'm going to take a day off from work. I'm going to go to the closest park and take pictures and blow bubbles. I'm going to have a basket with candy and I'm going color hard-boiled eggs and i'm going to make deviled eggs and I'm going to find flowers.

This year I'm just doing a little ritual. I colored a couple eggs. But, I'm here at work and I have laundry to do and I have to color my hair. Not very festive and I'm not happy about it.

Comment

Happy Ostara everyone! (A bit belated though it be.)

Thought some may get a chuckle at my little story. I went down to my local park to hold a small ritual, nothing big, just lighting some candles, leaving an offering, burning some incense. Simple. Well, I took a piece of bread with me to leave for whatever animals may find it, turns out there were about 30 ducks and 2 geese. And me with my one piece of bread. Oh boy. So I start doling it out when one of the geese comes up to me and starts hissing at me. Yes, hissing. So I give him some bread. He comes closer and continues to hiss. After a little while I throw the bread at him and leave for the little ramp the park has that goes down to the river. I'm about to sit on the ramp that's out in the middle of the water and I look behind me, and who should I see, but that goose in the river swimming at me.

I finally left that area (I can take a hint!) and went to this area with a bunch of covered park benches. I take out my candles and some incense, light my match, and poof. No fire. Wind blew it out. Over and over and over again this happens. I manage to light a candle and...it's blown out.

Finally I packed my things, went home, and had my little ritual inside my house. After that I cleaned a bit, smudged, and then sat on my butt watching tv.

Overall, a very nice day. Even if I was threatened by a goose.
                      "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~Eleanor Roosevelt

"True magic is neither black nor white. It's both because nature is both loving and cruel, all at the same time. The only good or bad is in the heart of the witch." ~Lirio, The Craft

"Woman must not depend on the protection of man but must be taught to defend herself." ~Susan B. Anthony

"Speak softly and carry a big stick." ~Teddy Roosevelt

"My darling girl, when are you going to realize that being normal is not necessarily a virtue? It rather denotes a lack of courage!" ~Frances Owens, Practical Magic

Comment

As much as we need the rain here, it sure messed up my chance of getting together with my group and celebrating SPRING ! I'm thinking of taking my umbrella and heading out to the lake and doing my own little something, but it's gotten chilly so I won't be out there very long.

The only way to use candles outdoors is to put them inside a glass jar or something similar. The wind here in Kansas always blows them out unless they are protected from the wind. We like to use torches at each Quarter (with colored ribbons tied around) and candles in glass container on the altar for Spirit, Lord and Lady.

Comment

I got my tattoo, sort of both an end of one thing/focus/era and the beginning of a new one. My best friend went with me, and then we made a night of it. I will do a ritual tonight as well, removing my bracelet, contemplating all that's happened during the six focused weeks that have just gone by since the cross-quarter.

I'll probably commemorate it with a poem or some artwork. I have lots to think about, my life has done a 360 in six weeks, and I just found out my plant is closing and I'll soon be out of a job...sigh.
                          In a love affair with sunshine

Live this day like an altar to what you believe

Comment

We didn't do too much planned. Sadly, the Equinox this year for us was a bit of a time of grieving. Our dog, Tika, passed away a year ago the Equinox weekend, so we were pretty preoccupied.

On the other hand, on Saturday we went to the Denver March Powwow, which is a tradition for us, and a perfect celebration of spring--opening up with other people from other cultures, who as a people were shaped living in this land. We were celebrating each other and a shared heritage. For the first time ever, my mother and father and I danced in the Intertribal...

I got myself some new oils and lotions--choke cherry and sweet grass scents, which make me think of spring. And of course, we lit the vigil lamp, more for the dog than for spring, but for both.

Of course, I'm still on my Lent project, too, so the end of my road hasn't really come yet. But I did focus on "Welcoming the Light" on the Equinox for my project. It's there, and it's a good part of everything to look at.

So, the process continues...

Peace
                            Working for Peace Pruning the Rambles

:hahugh: Banner made by me :hahugh:
                            Definition of skepticism: Don't believe everything you think.

In wildness is the preservation of the world ~Henry David Thoreau

Pantheism Path Forum Guide

In memoriam, Basha: 4/1996 - 12/2007 * * * In memoriam, Tika: 9/1996 - 3/2008

Comment

Working...
                            X