Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

May Day is coming...what are your plans?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• May Day is coming...what are your plans?

I used to throw big May Day bashes in my pasture. We had a twenty four foot maypole and acres of wild roses, honeysuckle and wild flowers to festoon it with.

We had a bonfire pit.

We played raunchy games like "cream the fertility goddess", the men throwing goo filled balloons at a large drawing of the goddess, he who came closest to the fertile cresctne won and "Throw the ring around the stiffie"...we ate hanging twinkies from the clothesline and had pie eating contests.

We picnicked and laughed and joked. We gambled on bunny and chicken bingo, $2 for a space on the board, the winner was the one on who's number the animal pooped first.

The kids threw water balloons, and we had egg throwing contests, archery tournaments and music all day long.

We went home tired, messy, sunburned, happy.

Each May Day I wash my face in the morning dew, it is rumored to make one beautiful. I am hopeful, but no more lovely.

I have downsized in my recent move. My new yard is full of life, but we haven't got a fire pit yet...tricky in a wooded area. We don't have parking for 20 cars anymore, the rabbits and chickens are gone.

I'll have to reinvent May Day.

I used to budget $400 for the party, but this year I won't. I will wait, trusting in fertility, of life, of land, of imagination and spirituality to provide a new way to mark the day.

I will invite people over for an abundant feast, rice, fresh greens, a flower bedecked table, maybe a jar of frog spawn in the middle. We will do some divination...I'm thinking a pendulum this year.

It will be a good day to put some seeds in the ground, after the danger of frost.

It will be a good day to put fish into my new pond.

I will still wash my face in dew, It may not make me appear lovelier, but a hopeful heart sees the rest of the world as lovelier.

and when night falls I will tumble with my lover and fall asleep, happy, messy and exhausted.
    In a love affair with sunshine

Live this day like an altar to what you believe

I think your May Day plans are lovely.

As for me, I'm going to go visit my boyfriend and celebrate that way....

We're going to make a wooden offering bowl for me, and spend a lot of time outside, and a lot of time together. I might do some divination when I get back, and will probably do some sort of small ritual for myself and All That Is. Use my new wooden offering bowl.
    Flame in Bloom-my blog on dancing and heathenry

The fires in me can never be drowned. They cannot be snuffed, for even when they are denied air, they breathe, gasping in the endless firedance.

Comment

May 1

May 1 or more likely the 4th or 5th, being a new moon, will be the day I celebrate the start of summer or what I like to call the growing season. I redecorate the house (kitchen and bathroom mostly) with the summer colors I like. Sheets, towels, place mats, napkins, flowers, candles get changed. This sounds like my home is more decorated than it is, particularly since my children are grown, but it is what I have done for many years.

I will spend some time in the evening (actually a fair amount of time) meditating and just being with nature.

And this year will be different. I will be with my lover for the first time. She isn't pagan but being very comfortable with her beliefs, she is comfortable with mine being different. I expect that we will intentionally share some of the quiet time with nature.

None of this would be particularly noticeable to someone watching me all day, but it has been a significant ritual for me for many years.
      I don't need a god to make me safe
      I am safe by knowing I am where I should be
      a part of all that is

Comment

Hmmmm....I want to deck the doorway in a green garland, and am considering decorating the bed my mate and I share with flowers and greenery. I plan on spending the evening with my mate, with some wine, and candles, outside on our porch.

As for the house, Im thinking fresh sheets on the bed, fresh towels in the kitchen, lots of white candles in the hearth and of all the seemingly unromantic/uncelebratory things, new mulch for the yard. I just like making everything look fresh, springy and clean.

To honor the holiday itself, well, thats for between my mate and I..lol...though during the day, the kids and I will do some stuff. I'll likely send my daughter to school with a small couple of flowers in her hair.

I can see the kids loving leaving an offering to the fae, too.

I would LOVE a bonfire, and all the hoopla of that, but dont think my neighbors would appreciate it much, lol...but I think we shall douse the house lights and sit in darkness for a bit, then relight them all symbolically.
        Last edited by Brigid Rowan; April 15th, 2008, 09:01 AM.
        "We are taught you must blame your father, your sisters, your brothers, the school, the teachers--you can blame anyone, but never blame yourself. It's never your fault. But it's ALWAYS your fault, because if you wanted to change, you're the one who has got to change. It's as simple as that, isn't it?"
        -- Katharine Hepburn

Comment

May Day itself will be a pretty quiet day for me. April 30th is the last day of a fiscal quarter at work, which means mandatory overtime 'til who-knows-when. The day after end-of-quarter is always a day of quiet regeneration.

We might get together again with the people we gathered with for Vernal Equinox. We may not. This is their first May Day as a married couple, so I imagine they'll want to celebrate in the "traditional" way.

The weekend after May Day is the Living Green Expo, which has been an important tradition for my wife and me for several years. This year, we plan to go both days, make a big to-do out of it. We may even acknowledge sacred space before we go, so that the entire weekend becomes one big May Day ritual/festival for us.

Or not. As y'all have no doubt caught on by now, we don't like to make plans very far in advance around here. Whatever is...Is.
          If you're lucky you'll find something that reflects you,
          helps you feel your life protects you,
          cradles you and connects you to everything.
          Dar Williams, "The Hudson"

Comment

I didn't celebrate Beltane last year because I wanted to get around the nearly all pervasive sexual nature of the holyday and just couldn't find a way. This year I'm reading and have found a discussion of Beltane being the gate to summer, just as Samhain is the gate to winter. The end of April really isn't spring any more here in my part of California, but it isn't summer either. I like the idea of celebrating May Day as a transition point. I'll come up with a way to ritualize this somehow! I'd still like the idea of a focus on bees, too. Their activities are so intertwined with our food supply, so I know I'll have some honey in my feast and beeswax candles. And flowers, of course! You have no idea what a relief it is not have to spend weeks composing a solitary Wiccan ritual for each holyday. I love ritual, I really do, but the structure was so hard for me and far from being a personal experience. I'm not slamming anyone or anything, it's just my experience. I'm really looking forward to this year.
            The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us.
            --Bill Watterson

Comment

in our celebrations we try to get past the sexual things too, at least til after the celebration, because most bring children
              we will probaly be having our usual picnic outside and play some games.. they had fun last year making garlands and fairy furniture for my fairy mound out back.. and a bonfire of course got to have that

Being powerful is like being a lady If you have to tell people you are, you aren't

Advanced Paganism, Meditation
              and Books Forum Guide
              and also a writer for MW Magazine

Serenity is not freedom from the storm..it is peace during the storm

:fpraise: many thanks to Patriciaj for great banner

Its your life..live it as you like

myspace.com/Mydnitejazmine

my covens site
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/archaic_silvermoon/

Comment

Originally posted by Astara Seague View Post
                in our celebrations we try to get past the sexual things too, at least til after the celebration, because most bring children
                we will probaly be having our usual picnic outside and play some games.. they had fun last year making garlands and fairy furniture for my fairy mound out back.. and a bonfire of course got to have that

We recently bought our first house...and I LOVE the fairy gardens that I've seen people share here. So lovely...I think I need to make one of those!

A nursery near me has a collection of plants called "steppables" they are distributed by a national company and come in lavender colored pots. most of them are teeny, tiny, close to the ground plants, that would be used in liu of grass, or between path stones...I went a bit mad and bought about 8 different types. Several are scented, and nearly all are flowering plants.

I am going to use them in our fairy garden, with stones I collect on hikes.

It may well be May Day before I can get them in the ground.

Our last yard had actual fairy rings in it...mushrooms growing in perfect circles, and we used to leave things for the fairies in the iris bed.
                In a love affair with sunshine

Live this day like an altar to what you believe

Comment

I'll be at a Sacred-Sexuality Beltane festival in Maryland from 4/30 - 5/5. This will be my 2nd trip to it and I've been looking forward to it since last year's ended.
                  "Some people would rather die than think, in fact many do so." - B. Russell

"Punishments inflicted with signs of anger are useless." - I Kant

"Can't you see what's plain as day,
                  It's always been there inside of you.
                  One saving grace that's hard to face.
                  Embracing the truth will change your fate.
                  It's up to you and the path you choose,
                  To be led to the slaughter or lead the way.
                  The quest for light, a worthwhile fight
                  Will you have what it takes?
                  Come what may." - J Schaffer

Comment

Aloha, I sent you a PM with a link with info about the festival.
                    "Some people would rather die than think, in fact many do so." - B. Russell

"Punishments inflicted with signs of anger are useless." - I Kant

"Can't you see what's plain as day,
                    It's always been there inside of you.
                    One saving grace that's hard to face.
                    Embracing the truth will change your fate.
                    It's up to you and the path you choose,
                    To be led to the slaughter or lead the way.
                    The quest for light, a worthwhile fight
                    Will you have what it takes?
                    Come what may." - J Schaffer

Comment

So, um...what did everybody do?

We planted a container herb garden and then had friends over for a wee small bonfire in our wee small fire bowl. And we had people write hopes or intentions for the coming season and throw them in the fire so their energy would be released into the world (like fire-activated seeds).
                      If you're lucky you'll find something that reflects you,
                      helps you feel your life protects you,
                      cradles you and connects you to everything.
                      Dar Williams, "The Hudson"

Comment

I woke up before dawn and went to the oldest tree on campus and danced around it with my sister for an hour to dance the sun up. And we had a hilarious run-in with two boys who were VERY high and thought we were fairy-tale creatures.

Then I went and got an IUD inserted. I think that's a pretty May Day appropriate activity.
                        Flame in Bloom-my blog on dancing and heathenry

The fires in me can never be drowned. They cannot be snuffed, for even when they are denied air, they breathe, gasping in the endless firedance.

Comment

[This is kind of late, but...]

I was going to go camping with my Mr. Man, but I got very very sick. He got us a hotel room and we had a private ritual. I got to wear something I wouldn't have been able to were I camping: a silk kimono that had been disregarded at a thrift store. We offered jasmine rice and poetry, and then had a slow, gentle romp, because I might have been sick but I was not letting May Day pass without a romp! :D

Good times were had.
                          ---

[you have been visited by a heliotrope]

[hi]

Comment

Working...
                          X