This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modern Pantheistic Mythology

As a contrast to ancient mythology, I feel that we can incorporate modern mythology into our lives. To that end, I've been working on creating mythological or literary versions of what I consider pantheistic mythology. I was thinking that maybe we could make this a community project, pooling our resources and talents to come up with some works to use in ritual.

I am now working on a poem that expresses my understanding of the way the moon changes phases in relation to a person on Earth. I envision that we could create works that look at the seasons, individual species, natural phenomena, evolution, time, galaxies, and almost anything else.

Does anyone else want to join me? Hopefully I'll have a draft of my poem in the next day or so!

Poledra

Not that I could really post in on here, but I'm planning on choreographing a dance next semester for my senior project on this very subject--telling the creation myth, among others, of pantheism.
    Flame in Bloom-my blog on dancing and heathenry

The fires in me can never be drowned. They cannot be snuffed, for even when they are denied air, they breathe, gasping in the endless firedance.

Comment

Ooo, I'm very interested! So this would be chants, poems, stories, physical actions (like using your body to represent a seed growing into a plant---which I've done)... that sort of thing?

Oh, I mentioned this elsewhere but here's a link to someone singing the periodic table of elements:
      http://www.privatehand.com/flash/elements.html
      The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us.
      --Bill Watterson

Comment

Anything and everything! So we can build up a repertoire for ourselves or even just support each other in our efforts.

Poledra

Comment

This is a poem I have composed for the cycle of the moon as I was doing some research and introspection into the dark moon this month. To me, it speaks of the physical cyclical realities of our world and I hope it does the same for you.

Moon Phases

Every night I watch he sky
          Sometimes it watches back
          As the moon rotates around the Earth
          Like dancers in the black.

The sun, she shines upon
          The moon and on the Earth as well,
          But as the dancers move and twirl
          It can be hard to tell

Day on the moon and night on Earth
          Means a full moon in the sky,
          But as the moon orbits our Earth
          Its day-side becomes shy

It slowly orbits away from here
          And the crescent wanes
          Until at night, there is no moon
          At least, that I can see

For by this time the moon has moved
          And is towards the sun
          Its night-side faces day on Earth
          And does not light our sky

The dance continues on in time
          Forces pulling strong
          Orbits swirling, lights reflecting,
          Patterns cycling on

Poledra

Comment

As posted previously I have no interest in ritual, it just doesn't work for me.

However, you seem to be about developing a new culture based upon Pantheism, which I find quite interesting in itself.

Please keep this thread running, it has potential to be very interesting and I might even be moved to contribute in a more practical fashion.

Good luck everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by HeartofMoon View Post
              Not that I could really post in on here, but I'm planning on choreographing a dance next semester for my senior project on this very subject--telling the creation myth, among others, of pantheism.
              That sounds very cool. Will people actually be performing it?

If you smellllllllllllllllllalala
              what BARACK is COOKIN'!

"There are as many Paths to the Great Spirit as there are people on the Earth." -- Raven Grimassi, Hereditary Witchcraft

Avatar is a painting of Rhiannon by Hrana Janto that appears in The Goddess Oracle. Used with permission. To view Hrana's artwork, visit www.hranajanto.com.

Comment

Yes indeed they will, in the (super nice!) theater at my college. It will hopefully be 8 or 10 dancers.

I have lots of plans! It's very exciting.

The fires in me can never be drowned. They cannot be snuffed, for even when they are denied air, they breathe, gasping in the endless firedance.

Comment

Originally posted by TygerTyger View Post
                  As posted previously I have no interest in ritual, it just doesn't work for me.

However, you seem to be about developing a new culture based upon Pantheism, which I find quite interesting in itself.

Please keep this thread running, it has potential to be very interesting and I might even be moved to contribute in a more practical fashion.

Good luck everyone!

I don't see this as creating a new culture. In fact, quite the opposite, I feel like this is simply an acknowledgement of the culture we live in today. I understand what you mean because we usually associate a body of myths with a singular "culture", but I am more suggesting that we look at our modern lives through the poetic and literary filter. And, quite honestly, ritual is really only one way this project can enrich your life. If you don't find ritual useful, I'm sure you can enjoy looking at your mundane life with a little more poetry!

Poledra

Comment

Originally posted by HeartofMoon View Post
                    Yes indeed they will, in the (super nice!) theater at my college. It will hopefully be 8 or 10 dancers.

I have lots of plans! It's very exciting.
                    That sounds awesome. I'd love to see it. Will anyone be filming it and showing it on YouTube or anything?

If you smellllllllllllllllllalala
                    what BARACK is COOKIN'!

"There are as many Paths to the Great Spirit as there are people on the Earth." -- Raven Grimassi, Hereditary Witchcraft

Avatar is a painting of Rhiannon by Hrana Janto that appears in The Goddess Oracle. Used with permission. To view Hrana's artwork, visit www.hranajanto.com.

Comment

Maybe. Perhaps I will try. But it wont be until december.

Comment

Oh! Oh! This is brilliant, Poledra. I don't have much to add right now, because my brain is complete mush today, but I will definitely be adding my buck-fifty's worth in here over time.

To start, let me offer my favorite song about the Sun: "Why Does the Sun Shine?" most commonly known as being by They Might Be Giants.
                        If you're lucky you'll find something that reflects you,
                        helps you feel your life protects you,
                        cradles you and connects you to everything.
                        Dar Williams, "The Hudson"

Comment

I post my pantheist poetry at the "pantheist prayer place" at the altar of ancients here on MW.

I'm not sure if any of it would qualify as "mythology", but it feels in keeping with what Poledra posted.

I won't clog this thread with any of it, since it may be way off topic.
                          In a love affair with sunshine

Live this day like an altar to what you believe

Comment

I don't think it would be off-topic, cheddersox. If you post alot, maybe you could give us a link?

Here's something I wrote:

East
                            You who are the heavily scented breezes of late spring,
                            Whispery, buzzing, song-filled air...
                            Breathe love and joy into my ears!
                            I send my voice into the evening breeze,

South
                            You who are the warmth of the new summer sun,
                            Energy buzzing, burning fire...
                            See love and joy come my way!
                            I send my desire into the sunlight

West
                            You who are the passion of an open heart,
                            Dripping, soaking, love filled water...
                            Soothe me with love and joy!
                            I send my love into the watery depths.

North
                            You who are the soil beneath my feet
                            Rich, nourishing, darkness...
                            Touch me with love and joy!
                            I send my strength into the rock beneath my feet.
                            The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us.
                            --Bill Watterson

Comment

Originally posted by Poledra View Post
                              I don't see this as creating a new culture. In fact, quite the opposite, I feel like this is simply an acknowledgement of the culture we live in today. I understand what you mean because we usually associate a body of myths with a singular "culture", but I am more suggesting that we look at our modern lives through the poetic and literary filter. And, quite honestly, ritual is really only one way this project can enrich your life. If you don't find ritual useful, I'm sure you can enjoy looking at your mundane life with a little more poetry!

Poledra
                              Actually, I think that you are wrong in a very positive way. The fact that you are concentrating on this aspect of your life and inviting others to contribute across a broad spectrum of activities, not just the ritual, could very well prove to be a catalyst for a development of pantheistic culture.

How else do such things start but with the coming together of like minded individuals?

Ritual has never interested me, I never got it as a Christian and find the lack of it in my Pantheism quite liberating, but I freely accept that it is an important part of other people’s beliefs and respect it within that context.

Now you are being perceptive, I do indeed look at my life, and it is as mundane as most people’s, with a little poetry. In fact I probably don’t use enough poetry. That aspect of what you are proposing will certainly keep me interested and is probably the area where I will feel most likely to contribute.

Keep it going!

Comment

Working...
                              X