Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheddarsox, my definition of mythology is very loose here since the classic definition requires anthropomorphic gods and goddesses and that doesn't really suit pantheism. I will definitely check out your thread in th Altars subforum, but feel free to post it here too!

Tygertyger, I think I understand what you mean. I do hope you feel inspired to join us!

Poledra

Comment

Originally posted by RavenStars View Post
      I don't think it would be off-topic, cheddersox. If you post alot, maybe you could give us a link?

Here's something I wrote:

East
      You who are the heavily scented breezes of late spring,
      Whispery, buzzing, song-filled air...
      Breathe love and joy into my ears!
      I send my voice into the evening breeze,

South
      You who are the warmth of the new summer sun,
      Energy buzzing, burning fire...
      See love and joy come my way!
      I send my desire into the sunlight

West
      You who are the passion of an open heart,
      Dripping, soaking, love filled water...
      Soothe me with love and joy!
      I send my love into the watery depths.

North
      You who are the soil beneath my feet
      Rich, nourishing, darkness...
      Touch me with love and joy!
      I send my strength into the rock beneath my feet.
      Your poetry is beautiful, RavenStars! Very well written!

I really like the idea behind this thread. The thread will (and already has) taken on a life of it's own and will go where it wishes. I look forward to see where it goes.

Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit.

Nature is an infinite sphere of which the center is everywhere and the circumference nowhere. - Blaise Pascal

The sun, with all those planets revolving around it and dependent upon it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else in the universe to do.- Galileo

Comment

Seems one of my poetic moments came along the same lines as RavenStars'.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

This is for calling the elements, including Spirit. If I use this one, I then call Mother Earth and Father Sky with a Tewa Pueblo prayer that is a favorite of mine... But I can't claim credit for it, so I won't post it here. This one also makes a good meditation on wholeness--at least as I personally define it.

Mantra

I am the winding path of growth
        I am the rich loam of sustenance
        I am the still mountain of stability
        I am the supporting earth of life

I am the whirlwind of curiosity
        I am the filling breath of knowledge
        I am the steady calm of understanding
        I am the uplifting air of life

I am the wild blaze of passion
        I am the driving burn of ambition
        I am the warming flame of fulfillment
        I am the fomenting fire of life

I am the great fount of love
        I am the soft rain of empathy
        I am the quiet pool of compassion
        I am the moving water of life

I am what supports
        I am what uplifts
        I am what foments
        I am what moves

I am life

This one, I wrote for Winter Solstice.

Rebirth

Looking out over darkened landscape,
        watching the blotches of white
        tumble past my windowpane
        to layer deeply below,

I hold my candle so its glow points
        between the grey peaked housetops
        where the Light begins to come—
        slowly, and ever slowly.

The waiting has been long, the pitch-black
        drawn-out nights so cold and stark,
        murkier than the depths where
        my soul has gone in retreat;

I have pulled within to hide myself
        and find myself—winter’s task:
        find the me I lose when Light
        becomes too bright for my days.

But waiting, loveliest decoration
        of this, the inner season,
        anticipates all the gifts
        we have to give… and receive.

And so I smile through now sparkling snow
        as the sun’s orb surrounds, frames
        my small shining candle flame—
        refreshed in new Light’s first morn.

Peace
        Working for Peace Pruning the Rambles

:hahugh: Banner made by me :hahugh:
        Definition of skepticism: Don't believe everything you think.

In wildness is the preservation of the world ~Henry David Thoreau

Pantheism Path Forum Guide

In memoriam, Basha: 4/1996 - 12/2007 * * * In memoriam, Tika: 9/1996 - 3/2008

Comment

This morning on Yahoo answers (It's campfire Freyasday!) someone posted a "question" the gist of which is..."have you learned the lessons of the compost pile"

And it totally spoke to me because composting is one of the things that helped me fully embrace my pantheism.

I keep worm farms to feed my amphibian pets, and they are indoor compost bins. At the time I embraced pantheism, I had a worm bin that lived under our dining table...it started with newspapers torn into strips, added table scraps and redworms...and the rest is lovely history! Over time we actually added some roly polys..a few millipedes and a marbled salamander who lived in there happily for years.

Later, when we moved into a house, we had a compost pile in the backyard, and I used to observe the goings on all the time, the seasonal cycles of critters, etc. Now I have both an indoor worm bin and an outdoor compost pile...how rich is THAT!

THAT is my "mythology". That I am of the same stuff as everything around me, that I am part of the same cycles. I don't have to add anything to it, or turn it into symbolism, or impose my own "take" on it. I just have to observe and know that it applies to me too.

It may not be as poetic as your offerings, but I was happy when I read that question and realized I had something to add to this discussion.
          Last edited by cheddarsox; May 9th, 2008, 09:23 AM.
          In a love affair with sunshine

Live this day like an altar to what you believe

Comment

Great one, cheddersox!!

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I feed the local birds. There's debate about this, of course, since wild birds really aught to find there own foods. But the trees and bushes were totally silent when we moved into this housing tract. There was a bevy of crows but their territory was some distance away. But it was disturbing to have not a single peep, nor the lovely flash of birds between the fence and hedges. It just was creepy. It took me 6 months to attract birds. Now we have birds that nest in the neighborhood. The goldfinches are around for the winter and gone in the summer (as it should be). We seen breeding plumage come and go, and fledglings visit the feeder for the first time. I actually saw and accidental bird that should have been up in the hills who rested a moment on the feeder and then was gone. The cycle of the seasons. Living, breathing reminders to be present in the moment.
            The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us.
            --Bill Watterson

Comment

Wow! I've been away for a few days and this has become better than anything I could have hoped for. Everybody's writing is beautiful. I love the statements of experience - it's the little things that make the biggest difference! I love the idea of active mythology Cheddarsox, being out in the world really *is* what pantheism is about to me, so your post really spoke to me.

Congratulations Ravenstars for managing to attract some local birds, that's quite an achievement!

Poledra

Comment

This weekend I was in Paris and I visited the Pantheon where they have a reconstruction of Foucault's pendulum (it was first demonstrated for the public there at the pantheon). I'm not sure whether everyone knows the significance of this experiment, but it demonstrates the fact that the Earth spins.

As I sat on a bench and watched the pendulum slowly move its way around the circle, I was faced with competing mythologies. I was standing on solid, unmoving ground, but the pendulum in front of me unmistakably showed that I was spinning. My mind and my body were at odds. While this was not the first time I had learned that the Earth was spinning, I had never taken the time to truly contemplate what it meant that I believed in two totally contradictory things. In order to live my life, I have to believe that the Earth will *not* move under my feet, but in order to live my life, the Earth must be spinning. Contradictions are an essential part of any mythology (look at the number of polytheistic mythologies that have goddesses of love and war) and this was the one I grappled with this weekend.

Poledra
                Last edited by Poledra; May 12th, 2008, 10:31 AM. Reason: stupid "freudian" slip

Comment

Bump. This thread has a lot to offer.

Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit.

Nature is an infinite sphere of which the center is everywhere and the circumference nowhere. - Blaise Pascal

The sun, with all those planets revolving around it and dependent upon it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else in the universe to do.- Galileo

Comment

mantra:

"i am" <inhale> (i am inhaling all that is)
                    "peace" <exhale> (i'm exhaling of my energy and i wish for that energy to be directed towards peace)

"blessed be" (simply states that everything is as it should be and is at all times blessed and divine)

Comment

Originally posted by cheddarsox View Post
                      THAT is my "mythology". That I am of the same stuff as everything around me, that I am part of the same cycles. I don't have to add anything to it, or turn it into symbolism, or impose my own "take" on it. I just have to observe and know that it applies to me too.

It may not be as poetic as your offerings, but I was happy when I read that question and realized I had something to add to this discussion.
                      This is my take on Pantheism too.

However, I would point out that not all poetry is couched in stanzas or metres, some of the best does not even use words, such as watching a seagul dance on the wind, or the changing mood of a sunset, or the growin smile on my wife's face. All made from the same stuff, all participating in the same existence, all exuisitely poetic.

I would that every expression of nature, wherever you find it, is part of the Pantheistic mythology in that it represents the many facets and attributes of the same thing; Existence.

Comment

mary oliver is a wonderful poet (in my opinion) and, it appears that her work is pantheistic.

Comment

Working...
                        X