Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The thing I never really understood was why this is a "midsummer" celebration or holiday, when the Solstice has always been the marking of the beginning of Summer (at least in my Earth science classes).

It seems weird to be the beginning of Summer when it is that the days are getting shorter from that point on, doesn't it?

It is the beginning as far as I know though for the calendar's sake because we have 4 seasons and they are 3 months long. They don't seem to match up though. Winter spills into Spring, etc. Sometimes it seems we go from Winter to Summer with no Spring.

Maybe I am not making sense because it is late and I am tired. If so, just dismiss this and I apologize.
    sigpic
    Proud to have Co-Hosted MW's 1st BABY SHOWER!!

Friend me!
    http://www.myspace.com/Clair_de_la_Lune
    The Octopus' Garden:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZqXs...ext=1&index=44
    Follow me! http://www.twitter.com/ClairLune_of_MW

by Glowy and Cloaked Raven!
    by abrecan, nannymouse, Mystic Christian, Cassie, and Devi!

Comment

Where I live now, May Day is, as far as the weather goes, the beginning of Summer, and this day Mid-Summer. We are well into it, the peaches ripe, local vegetables weighting down the tables at the farmer's markets. Aug 1, summer will be blazing in it's final burst of heat, then quickly handing the reins to Autumn.

But it is not so in all areas. The seasons are not dictated by any man made calender. We can choose to order our days any way that suits us, but it is the larger forces that control the weather.

Have an enlightening Solstice!
      In a love affair with sunshine

Live this day like an altar to what you believe

Comment

Any of our Antipodean Pantheists gearing up for Summer Solstice (um, erm...do we have Antipodean Pantheists about?)?
        If you're lucky you'll find something that reflects you,
        helps you feel your life protects you,
        cradles you and connects you to everything.
        Dar Williams, "The Hudson"

Comment

Yes - me.:uhhuhuh:

And yes, I will be seeing the sun up on Wednesday!
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Aquila ka Hecate View Post
            Yes - me.:uhhuhuh:

And yes, I will be seeing the sun up on Wednesday!
            Awesome! Any other plans for the holiday?
            If you're lucky you'll find something that reflects you,
            helps you feel your life protects you,
            cradles you and connects you to everything.
            Dar Williams, "The Hudson"

Comment

Originally posted by Clair de la Lune View Post
              The thing I never really understood was why this is a "midsummer" celebration or holiday, when the Solstice has always been the marking of the beginning of Summer (at least in my Earth science classes).

It seems weird to be the beginning of Summer when it is that the days are getting shorter from that point on, doesn't it?

It is the beginning as far as I know though for the calendar's sake because we have 4 seasons and they are 3 months long. They don't seem to match up though. Winter spills into Spring, etc. Sometimes it seems we go from Winter to Summer with no Spring.

Maybe I am not making sense because it is late and I am tired. If so, just dismiss this and I apologize.
              The solstices are not meteorological events, they are astronomical events. Summer solstice day is the day with longest amount of daylight in the northern hemisphere. And thats in June, not May. Winter solstice is the shortest day. Thats all there is to it. The longest and shortest daylight of the northern or southern year.
              The southern hemisphere is opposite of the northern half. Their summer solstice is our winter solstice.

May is not a solstice event. The solstices are factual science events.
              The May midsummer event is one of cultural tradition.
              :boing:

Comment

Originally posted by Windsmith View Post
                Awesome! Any other plans for the holiday?
                Apart from sticking a big photo of the sun on my monitor, no not really - I'm working today.

But I did get an awesome pic of the setting just-past-full moon this morning, which I'll be putting on my blog later.

On the midsummer thing: yes, the solstices and equinoxes are astronomical events concerning the relative positions of the sun and the earth. But I do have a bit of an issue with calling today "the start of summer" (or winter for you northerners). It's clearly mid-summer (mid winter), when the sun is at these positions, which makes the equinoxes the mid-points of spring and autumn.

For me, the start of the seasons are given by the cross-quarter sabbats. Just a personal nitpick:smileroll
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X