X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aquila ka Hecate
    replied
    Originally posted by Windsmith View Post
    Awesome! Any other plans for the holiday?
    Apart from sticking a big photo of the sun on my monitor, no not really - I'm working today.

But I did get an awesome pic of the setting just-past-full moon this morning, which I'll be putting on my blog later.

On the midsummer thing: yes, the solstices and equinoxes are astronomical events concerning the relative positions of the sun and the earth. But I do have a bit of an issue with calling today "the start of summer" (or winter for you northerners). It's clearly mid-summer (mid winter), when the sun is at these positions, which makes the equinoxes the mid-points of spring and autumn.

For me, the start of the seasons are given by the cross-quarter sabbats. Just a personal nitpick:smileroll

Leave a comment:

• Shanti
    replied
    Originally posted by Clair de la Lune View Post
    The thing I never really understood was why this is a "midsummer" celebration or holiday, when the Solstice has always been the marking of the beginning of Summer (at least in my Earth science classes).

It seems weird to be the beginning of Summer when it is that the days are getting shorter from that point on, doesn't it?

It is the beginning as far as I know though for the calendar's sake because we have 4 seasons and they are 3 months long. They don't seem to match up though. Winter spills into Spring, etc. Sometimes it seems we go from Winter to Summer with no Spring.

Maybe I am not making sense because it is late and I am tired. If so, just dismiss this and I apologize.
    The solstices are not meteorological events, they are astronomical events. Summer solstice day is the day with longest amount of daylight in the northern hemisphere. And thats in June, not May. Winter solstice is the shortest day. Thats all there is to it. The longest and shortest daylight of the northern or southern year.
    The southern hemisphere is opposite of the northern half. Their summer solstice is our winter solstice.

May is not a solstice event. The solstices are factual science events.
    The May midsummer event is one of cultural tradition.

Leave a comment:

• Windsmith
    replied
    Originally posted by Aquila ka Hecate View Post
    Yes - me.:uhhuhuh:

And yes, I will be seeing the sun up on Wednesday!
    Awesome! Any other plans for the holiday?

Leave a comment:

• Aquila ka Hecate
    replied
    Yes - me.:uhhuhuh:

And yes, I will be seeing the sun up on Wednesday!

Leave a comment:

• Windsmith
    replied
    Any of our Antipodean Pantheists gearing up for Summer Solstice (um, erm...do we have Antipodean Pantheists about?)?

Leave a comment:

• cheddarsox
    replied
    Where I live now, May Day is, as far as the weather goes, the beginning of Summer, and this day Mid-Summer. We are well into it, the peaches ripe, local vegetables weighting down the tables at the farmer's markets. Aug 1, summer will be blazing in it's final burst of heat, then quickly handing the reins to Autumn.

But it is not so in all areas. The seasons are not dictated by any man made calender. We can choose to order our days any way that suits us, but it is the larger forces that control the weather.

Have an enlightening Solstice!

Leave a comment:

• Clair de la Lune
    replied
    The thing I never really understood was why this is a "midsummer" celebration or holiday, when the Solstice has always been the marking of the beginning of Summer (at least in my Earth science classes).

It seems weird to be the beginning of Summer when it is that the days are getting shorter from that point on, doesn't it?

It is the beginning as far as I know though for the calendar's sake because we have 4 seasons and they are 3 months long. They don't seem to match up though. Winter spills into Spring, etc. Sometimes it seems we go from Winter to Summer with no Spring.

Maybe I am not making sense because it is late and I am tired. If so, just dismiss this and I apologize.

Leave a comment:

• Eleisawolf
    replied
    Ah, baking and festivalling (at least, hopefully baking--the sourdough starter needs help).

Went to a garden party tonight. Celebrated all kinds of blooming and growing things, and enjoyed the fruit of the vine.

The Greek Orthodox church is having a festival this weekend, and their choir always performs beautifully. And the neighborhood I grew up in is having its annual street fair, with music, shop vendors, and other fun. Usually, we do this with my parents, who still live in the same house. This year, a friend who has returned to the area lives in the same neighborhood, so maybe we'll see if she'll join us.

On Sunday, a cast party. Celebrating all kinds of creative births and fertility and being outdoors. That works as ritual for me. And bread. Always bread.

Peace

Leave a comment:

• *oonagh*
    replied
    i don't have any plans at all. i'll, of course, do my little ritual. but, otherwise, nuttin'

Leave a comment:

• Windsmith
    replied
    And the Wheel rolls around again. What are people's plans?

We're going to be walking our half-finished labyrinth with a couple of friends, then sitting around talking about the season. It's what we do with these friends - something between formless shooting the breeze and formal ritual. I like how it's working out so far.

Leave a comment:

• Eleisawolf
    replied
    So far, my office had an "aloha to summer" party that involved smoothies, a "tacky tourist" race, tacky Hawaiian music, and a brief lesson in Tahitian hula dancing. We just finished enjoying margaritas and are relaxing with that midsummer sign of midsummer signs, baseball. Heh.

Don't really have anything planned. I've been celebrating the day the way I've been celebrating all the Wheel this year. Just living it. Tomorrow, we'll be attending a couple of ending parties... one a cast party for the show I just finished, the other the end-of-season party for hubby's church choir. And that matches, as I've thought about it. Midsummer is the ending of the growing days. The days will be getting shorter from here, and we're looking toward the harvest holidays after this. Endings, and beginnings.

That's enough for me this year.

Peace

Leave a comment:

• cheddarsox
    replied
    Originally posted by HeartofMoon View Post
    I have a lot of thoughts about midsummer this year. My gods just popped in to remind me that the holiday marks a year since I swore my oath to them, so I'll be celebrating that.

And as far as my pantheism goes, I'm celebrating the emergence of life. I've sort of arranged the eight holidays to tell the Universe Story, and midsummer marks the emergence of life, from the first living cell through the beginnings of sexual reproduction. So we're going to go pick berries and eat a vegan dinner and blow bubbles and I'll meditate.

This is my first holiday as a pagan that I'm really celebrating with other people as more than a meal. My boyfriend, sister, and a friend of mine from when I was a kid are all living together this summer, and they're all participating in this holiday with me. My sister is also a pantheist, which is really nice. So I guess this is a pretty big holiday for me this year. I like holidays.
    That sounds great! I'm a bit jealous.

I think this is one of those holy days when I am just going to have to trust that the Universe will provide...since I am pretty used up by life just now.

So, for midsummer, I will be watching and waiting...probably listen to some thoughtful music, drink some wine and stare into my pond at what the critters are doing.

Leave a comment:

• Heart of All
    replied
    I have a lot of thoughts about midsummer this year. My gods just popped in to remind me that the holiday marks a year since I swore my oath to them, so I'll be celebrating that.

And as far as my pantheism goes, I'm celebrating the emergence of life. I've sort of arranged the eight holidays to tell the Universe Story, and midsummer marks the emergence of life, from the first living cell through the beginnings of sexual reproduction. So we're going to go pick berries and eat a vegan dinner and blow bubbles and I'll meditate.

This is my first holiday as a pagan that I'm really celebrating with other people as more than a meal. My boyfriend, sister, and a friend of mine from when I was a kid are all living together this summer, and they're all participating in this holiday with me. My sister is also a pantheist, which is really nice. So I guess this is a pretty big holiday for me this year. I like holidays.

Leave a comment:

• RainInanna
    replied
    Is it that time again already? I remember quite clearly thinking about midsummer last year. We just happen to be heading out to the beach and lake this weekend. Hm, wonder what I can do out there.

Leave a comment:

• Windsmith
    replied
    We have...a plan!

My wife and I were both able to get Friday off of work. We're going to stay up all day. You may recall that we stayed up all night for Winter Solstice, so it'll be nice to balance that out.

We'll get up just before sunrise and cast a groggy circle. Later in the morning, we'll pack a picnic, take the bus to Minnehaha Park, and, because we are sappy, romantic geeks in love, rent a side-by-side tandem bike to toodle around the park in (it's a very large park). After our picnic, we'll come home, possibly nap, and do some honey magic.

Later in the evening, the 2 friends we shared the Vernal Equinox with (and possibly another) will be coming to our house for an informal ritual/grill-out. And then we will probably kick them out as soon as the sun sets, open our circle, and fall into bed to sleep until August.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X