Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lammas/Lughnassadh - what's on the docket?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lammas/Lughnassadh - what's on the docket?

Wow. Once again, the wheel turns on, and another holiday approaches us.

What are your pan-plans for Lammas? What does it mean to you - literally or symbolically? Do you call it "Lammas" or "Lughnassadh," and why?
    If you're lucky you'll find something that reflects you,
    helps you feel your life protects you,
    cradles you and connects you to everything.
    Dar Williams, "The Hudson"

The 1st August has no special meaning for me, but then there are very days in the calendar that do.

As it is a Friday I will no doubt be at work for the most part, so there'll be no change there then!

However, salutations to anyone who might be celebrating!

Comment

First Fruits!

Literally. I don't prefer either name, because I'm neither celebrating bread (loaf-mass of Lammas) nor any sun-god (Lugh! Lugh! Ra Ra Ra!).

For me, First Fruits is appropriate. This is the first real harvest holiday, and most specifically the fruit harvest. So eating fresh fruits is the best way to celebrate for me.

We'll be getting peaches from the Western Slope, soon. They're big, juicy, sweet, and wonderful to freeze and keep throughout the winter for cereal toppings or a sweet cold burst of summer in the frozen months. They work well for pie fillings when thawed, too.

But the ones we don't freeze? Mmm! Peach pie! Peaches and cream with honey! Dribbles down the chin and sweet stains on the shirt... Mmm.

My mother recently shared with me a recipe for a sour cherry pudding (from Dr. Dean Ornish, actually--nothing but flour, baking powder, salt, milk, and the fruit) that I made this week and two weeks ago with cherries from Mom's yard. More like a cake, really--the British idea of pudding. But I'm thinking of making it with peaches when they come in. And of course, what fruit harvest celebration is complete without wine, the most important result of fruit harvest?!

So, it's time to celebrate the fruit harvest for me. That lovely time when flowers become sweetness for more than just the bees... And spiritually, it becomes this: the time when laden trees give of their seed to other living beings in hopes that their gift will bring them prosperity and many offspring spread around the land. The time when we revel in those gifts--and in turn remember our own, and how giving of them makes them grow. So I will prepare for another season of performance, of writing, of offering of myself and sharing the story that is my unique life in order to grow and revel in the fruits.

Yumm!

Peace
      Last edited by Eleisawolf; July 18th, 2008, 10:29 PM.
      Working for Peace Pruning the Rambles

:hahugh: Banner made by me :hahugh:
      Definition of skepticism: Don't believe everything you think.

In wildness is the preservation of the world ~Henry David Thoreau

Pantheism Path Forum Guide

In memoriam, Basha: 4/1996 - 12/2007 * * * In memoriam, Tika: 9/1996 - 3/2008

Comment

I don't celebrate it. I only celebrate the solstices and equinoxes.

To those that do, Happy Day!

Eleisawolf - Those desserts sound delicious!! :mmm: Enjoy your day.

Comment

I'll be baking some new foods, I'm sure. I'll buy some breads and generally just observe the holiday. I'm looking for ideas to add though.

Comment

Since that is about the hottest part of summer where I live, we celebrate heat. We just refer to the day as the summer cross quarter...and eat hot foods, and tell hot stories, and hang out and have fun.

I also use the day as the start of preparation for the Days of the Dead. I create a lot of folk art and the dry hot days are perfect for making paper mache.
            In a love affair with sunshine

Live this day like an altar to what you believe

Comment

Originally posted by Eleisawolf View Post
              I'm neither celebrating bread (loaf-mass of Lammas)
              Ah. See, this is pretty much precisely why we do use Lammas in our house. We're sort of...bread fanatics, and when I first figured out what "Lammas" means, I was in ecstacy. Holy crap; a whole holiday for bread! Who came up with this idea? I must kiss them!

Originally posted by Eleisawolf
              For me, First Fruits is appropriate. This is the first real harvest holiday, and most specifically the fruit harvest. So eating fresh fruits is the best way to celebrate for me.
              I've been pondering the "early harvest" aspects of the holiday, but it's not working for me. Almost all of my friends (independently of each other, by the way) have CSA shares this year. We've been getting produce since mid-June. So celebrating an early-harvest holiday in early August feels weird to me. Fruit, too: the only fruit in our yard is strawberries (long gone) and raspberries (certain to be gone by then).

So I think we'll stick to bread. But maybe this year we can work in the harvest aspect - celebrating the fact that the harvest exists, and that we're sharing in its bounty - by making bread that incorporates something from our CSA share. Mmmm...zucchini bread...

I don't know what else we're doing. I very much want to get together with the folks we celebrated Spring Equinox and Summer Solstice with (we've talked about doing all 8 holidays together, not just the 4 Biggies), but we have a wedding to go to on the 2nd. Now, granted, all 5 of us will be at that wedding, but I somehow doubt the happy couple will appreciate us sneaking away from their blessed event to hold a Lammas ritual!

Although...they're getting married at the Science Museum, and all us guests get free admission for the day...maybe we can incorporate it somehow...hmm... Gears chug into motion; commence...thinking.
              If you're lucky you'll find something that reflects you,
              helps you feel your life protects you,
              cradles you and connects you to everything.
              Dar Williams, "The Hudson"

Comment

Originally posted by Windsmith View Post
                Ah. See, this is pretty much precisely why we do use Lammas in our house. We're sort of...bread fanatics, and when I first figured out what "Lammas" means, I was in ecstacy. Holy crap; a whole holiday for bread! Who came up with this idea? I must kiss them!

:giggle: That would be a good reason to celebrate!

Comment

Yeah, I'm a bread fanatic, too. :boing: But that's Autumn Equinox for me. Harvest Home is grain and honey (when I make honey whole wheat bread), and Third Harvest is the Reaping--final grain, gourds, and preparing the fields for sleep until the following spring.

I've been pondering the "early harvest" aspects of the holiday, but it's not working for me. Almost all of my friends (independently of each other, by the way) have CSA shares this year. We've been getting produce since mid-June. So celebrating an early-harvest holiday in early August feels weird to me. Fruit, too: the only fruit in our yard is strawberries (long gone) and raspberries (certain to be gone by then).

So I think we'll stick to bread. But maybe this year we can work in the harvest aspect - celebrating the fact that the harvest exists, and that we're sharing in its bounty - by making bread that incorporates something from our CSA share. Mmmm...zucchini bread...
                  I can understand that. I do see it as the First Fruits of harvest because, while we've been getting early fruits before now, the big bulk of it is coming up. Until August, we pick berries off the bushes and cherries off the trees and munch them, without real concern for harvesting them (except now that we're in such as mass-harvest culture). But now, for risk of losing the rest when autumn sets in, we have to harvest and use or freeze or preserve. Most of my friends start the major business of canning right around mid-to-late July and early August. So, for me there's a difference between fruitfulness, which is Mid-Summer for me, and harvest, which starts the next cycle when we start looking for the colder season, even in the heat.

But that's just me, and that's why I think these holidays can't really be circumscribed. They're different depending on where you live and what your experiences are. And the zucchini bread sounds great. Mmm, zucchini--what a fruit!

Peace
                  Last edited by Eleisawolf; July 23rd, 2008, 07:09 PM.
                  Working for Peace Pruning the Rambles

:hahugh: Banner made by me :hahugh:
                  Definition of skepticism: Don't believe everything you think.

In wildness is the preservation of the world ~Henry David Thoreau

Pantheism Path Forum Guide

In memoriam, Basha: 4/1996 - 12/2007 * * * In memoriam, Tika: 9/1996 - 3/2008

Comment

Working...
                  X