Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Coffee Shop

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Coffee Shop

    A place to stop by for a chat when you're not up to a formal discussion. Open to non-Pantheists as well as regulars, ask questions that you might think are too silly for a formal thread or talk about how a Pantheist might view current topics.

    There's only one rule, don't lose your cool!

    Now, where's my mocha?!


  • #2
    Rainy Days!

    It's raining here, quite heavily to begin with but it seems to be easing now. It's the first rain we've had for over a month, which is pretty exceptional in itself, but what never ceases to amaze me is the number of people who complain that rainy days are "miserable" or "shocking"!

    I like rainy days, apart from the variety that they bring to the weather, they're necessary. I've never stopped to think of them in a negative way, even when we had the floods a few years ago!

    So what do you think about rainy days; good, bad or indifferent?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by TygerTyger View Post
      So what do you think about rainy days; good, bad or indifferent?
      I honestly don't really know how I feel about rainy days. Some days it's nice, another reason to curl up in the bed with a good book.
      Some days it's highly annoying, especially if you've planned a long walk or a picnic.
      Mostly I'm okay with rain, good for the crops, veggies, berries and it always smells so nice after a rainfall. Fresh and flowery.
      Previously known as Njorun Alma


      "A mind of the calibre of mine cannot derive its nutriment from cows." - George Bernard Shaw

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Njorun Alma View Post
        Mostly I'm okay with rain, good for the crops, veggies, berries and it always smells so nice after a rainfall. Fresh and flowery.
        Actually, I like it when the sun comes out immediately after a good rainfall. There's always a chance of a rainbow and the water glistens on the ground.

        Like you say, everything smells fresher too!

        Comment


        • #5
          this morning was so beautiful. there is a decided chill in the air and the trees are just gorgeous. walking out to my car, arm in arm with someone i care about and breathing in the autumn air was inspirational.
          time for a nice cup of coffee...

          Comment


          • #6
            The rain is now pounding on my house like a deluge!

            I'm watching it run like a river down the sky-light, it's quite awesome really although some people in this area might be worried about flooding again due to the amount of water falling on us!

            Isn't weather fascinating? It was a beautiful sunny day on Sunday, warm, bright and refreshing. Now it looks like we're getting a month's worth of rain in one downpour!

            Comment


            • #7
              Today has a very good feeling about it!

              Comment


              • #8
                Rain is good, we need more of it! Today is cloudy and windy, yet very humid. I can't decide if I'm cold or not. I hope we're going to have one of those humid storms, they are awesome.

                I'm happy today. I slept well, my class was interesting and I finally decided on a topic for an assignment that was worrying me. And there were lots of interesting people on the train so I had fun people-watching

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by TygerTyger View Post
                  Now, where's my mocha?!

                  I'll have a chamomile tea over here!

                  Originally posted by TygerTyger View Post
                  So what do you think about rainy days; good, bad or indifferent?
                  I don't think I really experienced rain properly until I moved to the south coast a while ago. When it rains down here it's like a solid sheet lol when the wind is up as well you can't really go outside without getting drenched in about two seconds. It can be nice when you're tucked up in bed reading a book and hearing the rain on the window and the roof. I tend to prefer heat and sun myself though, especially when I'm sitting on the beach.

                  Originally posted by spiral View Post
                  I'm happy today. I slept well, my class was interesting and I finally decided on a topic for an assignment that was worrying me. And there were lots of interesting people on the train so I had fun people-watching
                  yay! for Spiral. What was the topic?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by green aventurine View Post
                    I'll have a chamomile tea over here!

                    yay! for Spiral. What was the topic?
                    Tea is fine in this Coffee Shop. In fact I usually drink coffee in the morning and tea in the afternoon...just weird that way!

                    Spill the beans Spiral, either about the topic or the people on the train - or both if you're in a chatty mood!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Well the topic might not be interesting to anyone else lol, but I'm going to look at the relationship between depression and people's intake of various nutrients, particularly zinc, omega-3 and folic acid. :weirdsmil

                      And some of the people I found interesting/amusing...
                      - A girl talking on the phone who seemed to be planning her hens night ("Feathers! That sounds great!")
                      - Another girl on the phone talking to someone about a guy ("Well, just lean in closer and he'll get the idea... well if he doesn't, then he must be gay!")
                      - The goth who sat near me (her hair was looong and black and really cool)
                      - A couple sitting near me arguing about whether more people should take the train or drive to school
                      - A guy who was with his wife and kids but kept staring at the woman sitting in front of me.

                      I don't know, maybe I'm odd for finding everyday stuff interesting

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by spiral View Post
                        Well the topic might not be interesting to anyone else lol, but I'm going to look at the relationship between depression and people's intake of various nutrients, particularly zinc, omega-3 and folic acid. :weirdsmil

                        And some of the people I found interesting/amusing...
                        - A girl talking on the phone who seemed to be planning her hens night ("Feathers! That sounds great!")
                        - Another girl on the phone talking to someone about a guy ("Well, just lean in closer and he'll get the idea... well if he doesn't, then he must be gay!")
                        - The goth who sat near me (her hair was looong and black and really cool)
                        - A couple sitting near me arguing about whether more people should take the train or drive to school
                        - A guy who was with his wife and kids but kept staring at the woman sitting in front of me.

                        I don't know, maybe I'm odd for finding everyday stuff interesting
                        Actually that topic is interesting seeing as latest reports suggest that depression is on the increase and may become the major mental health burden on society!

                        As to the people watching I do that alot as well; people are weird, which makes them fun to watch!

                        I like the girl's advice on whether the block was gay or not - it always worked on me! :uhhuhuh:

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Actually that topic is interesting seeing as latest reports suggest that depression is on the increase and may become the major mental health burden on society!

                          Yes, sounds like a very interesting and relevant topic. My understanding of things like folic acid (vitamin B9 - yes I had to look it up! lol) is that it will only help you in depression if you're actually depleted in it and not getting enough of the vitamin. I wonder if omega3 is different? I seem to remember we don't naturally produce it and that we can produce it omega-6 and 9 from 3?

                          As to the people watching I do that alot as well; people are weird, which makes them fun to watch!

                          A sign of a good writer

                          I like the girl's advice on whether the block was gay or not - it always worked on me! :uhhuhuh:

                          lol you sound like you had quite a fun train, Spiral. I quite liked the idea of a hen party and the feathers - I wonder how they would use them lol

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by TygerTyger View Post
                            Actually that topic is interesting seeing as latest reports suggest that depression is on the increase and may become the major mental health burden on society!

                            As to the people watching I do that alot as well; people are weird, which makes them fun to watch!
                            Yeah, it's pretty scary. I've read that depression is soon to be the 'common cold' of mental disorders.

                            And yes, no one is normal if you look closely enough

                            Originally posted by green aventurine View Post
                            Yes, sounds like a very interesting and relevant topic. My understanding of things like folic acid (vitamin B9 - yes I had to look it up! lol) is that it will only help you in depression if you're actually depleted in it and not getting enough of the vitamin. I wonder if omega3 is different? I seem to remember we don't naturally produce it and that we can produce it omega-6 and 9 from 3?

                            A sign of a good writer

                            lol you sound like you had quite a fun train, Spiral. I quite liked the idea of a hen party and the feathers - I wonder how they would use them lol
                            I haven't done a lot of research yet, but from what I've read so far, people who are depressed have lower levels of omega-3 (you get it mainly from fish). The causality isn't really clear though, it's possible that those who are depressed don't tend to eat as well and that's why their levels are lower. The link between zinc and a lessened likelihood of depression seems stronger, but I'll learn more as I go

                            Yeah, it was fun, lol. I'll have to put my book down more often.

                            ETA: good idea for a thread by the way, it's nice to have somewhere to come and talk randomly!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by spiral View Post
                              ETA: good idea for a thread by the way, it's nice to have somewhere to come and talk randomly!
                              As if chatting over a cup of coffee or tea in a friendly environment!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X