Pantheism as a Basis for Ethics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by *oonagh* View Post
    well, contemplation always affects one's every day life.
    In retrospect I can see that I spent a long time in contemplation without letting it affect me whatsoever, just carried on in the same old way.

Then things changed!

Comment

Originally posted by TygerTyger View Post
      In retrospect I can see that I spent a long time in contemplation without letting it affect me whatsoever, just carried on in the same old way.

Then things changed!
      well, i'm of the belief that everything one thinks/feels/does/experiences affects him/her.

you say that things changed. what? how? when? why?

Comment

I've been meaning to get back to this then got distracted.

I had an epiphany, I can still remember it very well, it was the moment when me and my life fitted into the scheme of things as seen through Spinoza's Pantheism. This occurred when I was at college in Harlech, North Wales.

I think that this moment was so great that it took some time for it to settle, a bit like a tidal wave actually, I mean I am talking years here. I was so happy to feel a kind of resolution with being both alive and disabled that for a long time nothing else mattered. This was for a very long time the most important question for me when the religion I had grown up with, Christianity, had totally failed to answer.

I spent a long time just in contemplation and was happy with it. Then, about 2 years ago, I started looking for more, which coincided with joining MW. Since then my Pantheism has become a far more active part of my life and it now impacts upon my entire outlook.

I don't think that it is a coincidence that I am happier now than I have ever been just because I also feel more spiritually fulfilled.

Comment

hmmm...thank you for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by *oonagh* View Post
            hmmm...thank you for sharing.
            Actually thanks for asking the question, it made me stop and think.

Comment

Does Pantheism make a good basis for ethics in terms of human conduct?
              I'm still thinking about this and what we were talking about on the belief statement thread. I think as soon as you start to frame an ethical system within a human perspective, you're starting to drift away from pantheism, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by green aventurine View Post
                I'm still thinking about this and what we were talking about on the belief statement thread. I think as soon as you start to frame an ethical system within a human perspective, you're starting to drift away from pantheism, IMO.
                Could expand upon this please?

Comment

Could expand upon this please?
                  I can try but I'm not very good with ethics. I had various thoughts:

Firstly, in pantheism, it seems to me everything is alive and conscious and not just humans, so to form a human system of conduct seems to be cutting off other perspectives. Somehow there should be a kind of universal system of conduct that any entity should be following - maybe that doesn't make any sense, I'm not sure lol

Secondly, when you have a proposition like "one should not kill" in a pantheistic universe this can't really be true or false as there is no referent for the proposition unlike in a Christian universe where you have God's word in the Bible or God saying it's so, so you can check the proposition with his word to see if it's true or not. It does have meaning though (unlike the proposition "table the the of gerbil in" which is meaningless) so you can have a logically coherent system of ethics in a pantheistic universe, IMO, it's just that you wouldn't have any particular basis to say it was the one and true way to behave or system to follow etc, I guess.

Thirdly, I've forgotten what thirdly was meant to be lol. I'll have to come back to this.

If you can think of a concrete pantheistic moral proposition/imperative, it would be helpful to me so I can get a better sense of what you're trying to say. Maybe something Spinoza said?

ETA: just saw your post on the belief statement thread - thanks for the moral proposition. I'll get back to this soon.
                  Last edited by green aventurine; February 8th, 2010, 10:36 AM.

Comment

I can't see how Pantheism COULDN'T be a good basis for morality.

Acknowledging everything as a part of the divine? Kinda makes you think twice about your actions. It also gives you an enormous view of what should be interacted with 'ethically'.

Also, I don't see what the problem with the world theology was. 'Theology' means the study of the divine and or truth. I think Pantheism is more of a theology than a religion, but that's my own view of it.
                    L'universe est le corps et l'esprit de mon dieu. Tout le monde sont ma famille; m'sit no komaq.

Grateful to the Gods who have patiently carried me along.

Comment

Originally posted by Herumetem View Post
                      I can't see how Pantheism COULDN'T be a good basis for morality.

Acknowledging everything as a part of the divine? Kinda makes you think twice about your actions. It also gives you an enormous view of what should be interacted with 'ethically'.
                      I agree with this. That is all :P
                      "The magnificent, marvelous, mad, mad, mad, mad Madam Mim!" ~ Madam Mim, Sword in the Stone

Comment

Working...
                      X