No announcement yet.

What kind of prayers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I take a rather different approach to prayer than what has been mentioned in this thread. I see the whole of existence as being sacred and profound, and there is no separation between matter and the Divine, so I suppose that does make me a pantheist. Part of my pantheism, though, is that not only is all matter sacred, but so is the whole of human (and non-human) thought, culture, creativity and history, even the not-so-good stuff. I see the totality as sacred and worthy of reverence because it is all interconnected, and without it, none of us would be where we are now, and none of us would be who we are now. HOWEVER, I do study the mythologies of the old gods from my personal cultural background (Greek, Irish, and Scandanavian, so it would be the "Big Three" pantheons of Greek, Celtic, and Norse) as literary representations of elements of reality, and also a part of reality as a whole. Just because the nature of their existence manifests from human creativity or thought, that doesn't make them nonexistent. The very thought of gods has had a tremendous impact on human culture and development, so in that sense, yes, they are very real.

Anyways, back to my point. When the story or attribute of a particular deity is relevant to my current situation, I will meditate on it, contemplate what lessons I can draw from the stories, and usually compose a written "prayer" honoring that deity and asking for the positive attributes she/he represents to come into me and my life. Do I believe there is actually someone listening to me? Not really, but it doesn't matter. It is in the studying and writing itself that I find peace, comfort, and a connection to all that is and to those that came before me. Most of these written prayers (for lack of a better word) end up in my own personal little "grimoire" (again, for lack of a better term) along with all the notes and observations I make while studying the pantheons.

Comment

Working...
    X