Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TYRRHENUS
    SALVETE OMNES, S.V.B.E.V.

Does anybody know what the heck is going on at NR? Someone has been removed from her position as Sacerdos Matris Deorum Magnو and has been given a lifetime ban on ever holding public office. Supposedly without a trial!
    She seems to have put (reasonable, to me) up her arguments that this was unconstitutional and historically inaccurate. Skimming the threads, it smells very political, so the true story is unlikely to be found in public emails. Have you mailed her privately?

I would send an e-mail addressing my concern, but I suppose this is a matter for their sodales to resolve. I would just hate to see the organization go as it is the oldest RR group online.
    Probably a good thing to do anyway, if you are concerned.

Incidentally I did come across this perceptive posting, very interesting, about the issues in re-establishing a RR:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Religi...a/message/6942
    History teaches us this: no-one learns anything from history

My Photo Album ~ pictures n' stuff

EPONA.net ~ a scholarly resource. History and archaeology of the goddess Epona.

Comment

SALVETE OMNES, S.V.B.E.V.

I just saw a movie, Spartacus, on the History Channel. Not the original with Kirk Douglas but a relatively new one. Unfortunately, I didn't recognize any of the actors.
      It was pretty good. There was one line which was kind of lame, something like... "no, we shall have equality of the sexes," or some such nonsense. That turned me off. But it did an excellent job depicting Crassus as the real hero - merely given an ovation while Pompey undeservedly received a triumph.

Someone should really make a movie showing Rome's transition from Republic to Empire. They could start with the Gracchi, the Servile Wars, Sulla's dictatorship, Crassus, Caesar and Pompey forming the first Triumvirate, etc. Which is so very applicable today since we are giving more and more authority to a smaller and smaller number.
      Such a movie would probably have to be a miniseries though.

VALETE BENE,
      L. TYRRHENVS GARRVLVS SENATOR ئDILISQVE SOCIETATIS VIئ ROMANئ

ECCE, PARAT CئSAR DOMITO QVOD DEFVIT ORBI
      ADDERE: NVNC, ORIENS VLTIME, NOSTER ERIS.
      PARTHE, DABIS POENAS.

SVR | FORVM ROMANVM | CCEL | VNRV
      LINGVA LATINA | BIBLIOTECA LATINA | LATINA VVLGARA
      Il Sussurro Delle Streghe | Benedicaria |Rue's Kitchen | Stregoneria Italiana

Comment

Salvete All!
        Any one catching the HBO series ROME?
        What are your thoughts?

"But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."-Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1782

My Beliefs

Comment

Salvete omnes.
          I'd also like to hear what people think. I haven't had the chance and am wondering if it's any good. "Rome Week" on the History Channel was disappointing to say the least.

ECCE, PARAT CئSAR DOMITO QVOD DEFVIT ORBI
          ADDERE: NVNC, ORIENS VLTIME, NOSTER ERIS.
          PARTHE, DABIS POENAS.

SVR | FORVM ROMANVM | CCEL | VNRV
          LINGVA LATINA | BIBLIOTECA LATINA | LATINA VVLGARA
          Il Sussurro Delle Streghe | Benedicaria |Rue's Kitchen | Stregoneria Italiana

Comment

Salvete TYRRHENUS.
            I am watching it,to me its pretty good..there are some things that happens in the series that didnt actually take place from a Historical point of view,but everything that happens,like the way they dressed,ate,and conducted their day to day lives are taken from factual things and from archeological findings.

Vale!
            Kern

"But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."-Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1782

My Beliefs

Comment

Bump

My Beliefs

Comment

For those interested in the series Rome check this link Out:
                http://www.archaeology.org/online/reviews/hborome/index.html

My Beliefs

Comment

Epigraphic search

Primary sources are a core part of Roman Recon. I recently found out that the search engine EDH has an English user interface, which is handy for those (like me) who don't read german well and found the previous, German only, interface a bit harder to use.

http://www.uni-heidelberg.de/institu.../index.html.en

You can search on deity names, for instance, remembering of course to put them in the dative.
                  History teaches us this: no-one learns anything from history

My Photo Album ~ pictures n' stuff

EPONA.net ~ a scholarly resource. History and archaeology of the goddess Epona.

Comment

Salvete Omnes!

Looks like this thread died..

My Beliefs

Comment

To bad we cant get a teacher that is well learned in the Religio Romana,so that we could have a Class on it..

My Beliefs

Comment

The purpose of this thread is to discuss Roman Reconstructionism.

Why would anyone want to Reconstruct Rome!!!

That was the First Society in the History of Humanity that Persecuted the Celtic Pagans of Gaul, Briton, and Germany, which then led the way to the Christian Inquisitions during the Dark Ages.

Reconstructing a Society like the Romans would be a step back instead of a Step Forward toward my Wish to have Trees, Plants and Nature declared as the objects which all of Humanity should Venarate instead of Ourselves.

KNR

Comment

Originally posted by KiNoRonin

That was the First Society in the History of Humanity that Persecuted the Celtic Pagans of Gaul, Briton, and Germany, which then led the way to the Christian Inquisitions during the Dark Ages.

Reconstructing a Society like the Romans would be a step back instead of a Step Forward toward my Wish to have Trees, Plants and Nature declared as the objects which all of Humanity should Venarate instead of Ourselves.

KNR
                          Early Rome was not so bad.

It was Rome in late antiquity that got out of spiritual touch with itself.
                          What we do now echoes in eternity. Strength and honor.~ Russell Crowe, Gladiator.

Suffer the Innocent.~Myself

What does not kill me makes me stronger~Nietzsche.

Men are born free but everywhere he is surrounded by chains.~ Rousseau.

Life is a battle of war with two outcomes victory or surrender. ~ Myself.

Be weary of those masquerading under the guise of benevolence offering hope or promises for in all reality they only have hidden ulterior motives.~Myself.

Comment

I follow Greek paganism and not Roman.

My particular branch is a little bit different from what you may have heard of in ancient Greece.
                            What we do now echoes in eternity. Strength and honor.~ Russell Crowe, Gladiator.

Suffer the Innocent.~Myself

What does not kill me makes me stronger~Nietzsche.

Men are born free but everywhere he is surrounded by chains.~ Rousseau.

Life is a battle of war with two outcomes victory or surrender. ~ Myself.

Be weary of those masquerading under the guise of benevolence offering hope or promises for in all reality they only have hidden ulterior motives.~Myself.

Comment

Originally posted by KiNoRonin
                              KNR
                              It was also the society that created inventions that significantly improved our lives.
                              Facebook::Witch blog::Book Blog
                              Gods and Goddesses, Paths: Dianic & Goddess Witchcraft, Theology & Philosophy, Just Current Events, and Political Pagan Forum Guide.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha

Question everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Dracon
                                I follow Greek paganism and not Roman.

My particular branch is a little bit different from what you may have heard of in ancient Greece.
                                I'm also interested in Hellenic Reconstructionism, and am reading up on it (and others), do you mind saying how your approach differs?.

Thanks .

Comment

Working...
                                X