Roman Reconstructionism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by David19
    I'm also interested in Hellenic Reconstructionism, and am reading up on it (and others), do you mind saying how your approach differs?.

Thanks .
    Alot of the ancient Greeks worshiped Zeus as the ruler of all Gods and men.

My tradition and beliefs however differ , because in my belief it is Gaia or Euryome that is the ruler of Gods and men as the great Goddess.

Gaia,Eurynome,Ge,Demeter, for she has many names.

She was one of the first Gods to come into existence and from her came the titans and even Zeus himself.

From the primordial waters it was her and Ophion the cosmic serpent that created the world.

It is also my opinion that the mother Goddess is not just a Goddess of the earth , but since she created the earth she is obviously a creator Goddess of the cosmos and universe.

I am more into the Pelasgian system.

Also I feel more of a closer bond to the ancient Spartans vs. Athenians, Corinthians and so on.

Infact my highest ideal of a civilization would be Sparta.
    Last edited by Grimr; June 8th, 2006, 03:06 PM.
    What we do now echoes in eternity. Strength and honor.~ Russell Crowe, Gladiator.

Suffer the Innocent.~Myself

What does not kill me makes me stronger~Nietzsche.

Men are born free but everywhere he is surrounded by chains.~ Rousseau.

Life is a battle of war with two outcomes victory or surrender. ~ Myself.

Be weary of those masquerading under the guise of benevolence offering hope or promises for in all reality they only have hidden ulterior motives.~Myself.

Comment

Roman Reconstructionism focuses much on the spirituality of Roman Civilization, not merely on its physical and historical achievements, and certainly not on negative aspects of their history, which even then doesn't speak for all Romans. Actually the Romans were very intelligent, civilized people most of the time. They seem to have greatly respected foreign nations including the Celtic peoples, it wasn't always war between the two, there was peace too.

Every old nation had negative aspects to it. I'm a Brythonic recon myself but as much as I like them I must also admit the Celts were not perfect, but no one is right? Remember now the Gauls did sack Rome for gold and held her for months before leaving. They nearly blew her out of existence, but I'm glad they didn't in the end.

Comment

BUMP.

Are there any Roman recons about?.

Anyone know what happened to the ones that were here?.

Comment

I don't know whether I can call myself one but I definitely do have a strong Roman reconstuctionism with my path.
          Facebook::Witch blog::Book Blog
          Gods and Goddesses, Paths: Dianic & Goddess Witchcraft, Theology & Philosophy, Just Current Events, and Political Pagan Forum Guide.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha

Question everything.

Comment

Roman Recon, reporting for duty!

Just thought I'd stop in a say hello!

Comment

Originally posted by David19 View Post
              Are there any Roman recons about?.

Anyone know what happened to the ones that were here?.
              the barbarian hoards got them... spray painted their aquaducts and broke all their pottery!
              Last edited by Theres; August 30th, 2007, 01:31 AM.
              some people are like slinkies -
              not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when they are pushed downs the stairs.

True enlightenment comes from discovering principles which challenge your spiritual view, not from inventing principles to confirm it.

Comment

Originally posted by Son of Goddess View Post
                Roman Recon, reporting for duty!

Just thought I'd stop in a say hello!
                Hey, nice to meet you .

Comment

Nice to meet you as well!

Comment

Nice to meet you as well!
                    I've got a question, do you know if the Roman gods are the same as the Greek ones, as I've heard that they're not really (like Venus, in both mythology and beliefs isn't the same as Aphrodite, neither are Hestia and Vesta, etc).

Also, what are some good books on the Roman gods?.

Thanks for any help .

Comment

It's my opinion that they are not the same. The Romans had a very different view of the gods than the Greeks did...and did not even have mythology until the assimilation of the Greek gods and their mythology.

The Greek deities were assimilated into the Roman Pantheon...creating a whole new set of Roman Deities with similar characteristics, but enough differences to not make the deities interchangeable.
                      "The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common:
                      instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
                      which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that need altering."

Comment

Originally posted by David19 View Post
                        I've got a question, do you know if the Roman gods are the same as the Greek ones, as I've heard that they're not really (like Venus, in both mythology and beliefs isn't the same as Aphrodite, neither are Hestia and Vesta, etc).
                        Nope, not the same. They had similar characteristics but they weren't the same. Here is a good article about it: Greek vs Roman Mythology
                        Facebook::Witch blog::Book Blog
                        Gods and Goddesses, Paths: Dianic & Goddess Witchcraft, Theology & Philosophy, Just Current Events, and Political Pagan Forum Guide.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha

Question everything.

Comment

TWINKLE!!!! Twinkle from M-n-M??? HEY!!!!!!!!!

Its me, Titus!

Comment

[QUOTE=David19;3239249]I've got a question, do you know if the Roman gods are the same as the Greek ones, as I've heard that they're not really (like Venus, in both mythology and beliefs isn't the same as Aphrodite, neither are Hestia and Vesta, etc).

Also, what are some good books on the Roman gods?.[QUOTE]

Twinkle said it well. My view is that the Roman Dii Consentes and the Greek Olympians are two different cultural views of the same Divine Immortal. I justify this via the Interpretatio Romana, which literally means "Roman translation".

Ritually speaking, I think it is incorrect to invoke Zeus in a Roman ritual and vice versa of Jupiter in a Hellenic ritual.

Robert Turcan's Gods of Ancient Rome and Cults of the Roman Empire are excellent. Mary Beard's Roman Religion: Volume I and Volume II are also great resources.

Comment

TWINKLE!!!! Twinkle from M-n-M??? HEY!!!!!!!!!

Its me, Titus!
                              I know...goofball. *Grins*
                              "The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common:
                              instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
                              which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that need altering."

Comment

Originally posted by Twinkle View Post
                                I know...goofball. *Grins*
                                LOL, I get excited easily.:hehehehe:

Comment

Working...
                                X