No announcement yet.

Roman Reconstructionism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I apologize if this is thread necromancy, I have not posted in this forum for three years.

I have been studying Reconstructionist Paganism this summer. I would like resources and individuals I could talk to about Roman Reconstructionism. It has been relatively easy to find Kemetics and Hellenists, but difficult to find those interested in Religio Romana.

Comment

Welcome back, Brunhilda. I hope someone can help you out.

Senebty!
      NefertSatSekhmet
      Daughter of Sekhmet-Mut, beloved of Bast and Aset
      Visit Sekhmet's Pride

MW Forum Guide-
      Paths: Egyptians, Tamerans, and Kemetics

Comment

I want to specify what I am looking for. I have been able to find plenty of resources on Roman history and basic descriptions of deities. What I would like to know is rituals, how Religio Romana functions today, and what theological questions pop up the most in discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by Brunhilda View Post
          I want to specify what I am looking for. I have been able to find plenty of resources on Roman history and basic descriptions of deities. What I would like to know is rituals, how Religio Romana functions today, and what theological questions pop up the most in discussion.
          These might be of help--
          NOVA Roma: Rites and Rituals -- has many Latin and English rituals for daily use, like at the lararium and such.

They also have a new Wiki sort of site with info, see here.
          Things of interests would be: Gestures in Roman prayer (about adoratio), Ritus (about aspects of rituals), How to sacrifice, Household worship, Lararium (the altar), Prayers, etc.

There's also this site: Daily Worship
          Goes into the lararium, ritual tools, sacrifice, prayer, etc.
          Last edited by Agaliha; August 31st, 2010, 10:25 AM.

Comment

From what I hear Nova Roma isn't all that Reconstructionist anymore....but that was just something I heard in passing. I could be wrong.
            "The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common:
            instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
            which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that need altering."

Comment

Thank you very much! The information was right in front of my nose the entire time.

I don't know whether or not they are Reconstructionists. I do know that Roman religion evolved alot over time, with local deities often being cosolidated or oveshadowed by the ones fortified by Greek mythology.

Does the early Roman belief in many spirits resemble other believe systems (the Japanese kami come to mind)?

Comment

Originally posted by Twinkle View Post
                From what I hear Nova Roma isn't all that Reconstructionist anymore....but that was just something I heard in passing. I could be wrong.
                Given how syncretic ancient Roman religion was, I think it would be kinda hard to judge the authenticity of it's reconstruction, given that the Romans had a habit of adapting parts of the various religions that they came into contact with.
                "The word "natural" is completely meaningless! Everything is natural! Nature includes everything! It's not just trees and flowers! It's everything! A chemical company's toxic waste is completely natural! It's part of the nature! We're all part of nature! Everything is natural! Dog shit is natural! It's just not real good food!" George Carlin

http://www.last.fm/user/kidthorazine/

Drop acid, not bombs.

Add me on facebook! (please mention that you are from MW and include username)

Comment

Originally posted by TYRRHENUS View Post
                  That's why I'm not a member of Nova Roma. They're hardcore.
                  Hail Rome!

I wonder how many people here are actually interested in the Religio Romana & related reconstructions? Not many I bet.
                  What do you mean that their hardcore.

Comment

I'm sorry for bumping an old thread but I wonder if there are any Roman Recons around still. I'm really interested in it but I don't know where to begin! Could someone give me a quick tour of all the different sites and groups? I've also that you guys/girls have to repeat rituals all over again if you mess up, is that right (I've heard this in connection to the Ancient Romans as well, so it makes sense if you do)? How do you dispose of your offerings? In what context do you worship deities that aren't invoked in the daily rituals linked upthread? I'm interested in hearing about that kind of practical aspect especially! I'd be super glad if someone could answer these questions.

Comment

I wouldn't call myself a Recon, but I do my best. I primarily honor Iuno, along with my Lares and Genei. Hopefully there are others about as well.
                      Sat Bast, meryt Serqet-Aset her Yenipu-Wepwawet her HetHert-Sekhmet
                      "While I dance I cannot judge,
                      I cannot hate,
                      I cannot seperate myself from life.
                      I can only be joyful and whole.
                      That is why I dance."
                      --Hans Bos

Comment

I haven't been on this forum in like eight years. Back then, I was a solitary eclectic Wiccan, really what would probably be better described as Neo-Wiccan. I tried a more traditional-witch approach at other points in time, but kept coming back to Greek and Roman gods, and Greek myth, and issues of historical accuracy and authenticity.

SoI transitioned into Hellenistic reconstruction, and have for the past couple years been practising Roman reconstruction, with distinct Hellenistic and Romano-Celtic cults tied into it. I'm a member of a recon group, but that's more for overall structure and guidance and discussion. My practices are mostly framed around the home and hearth.

Comment

Working...
                        X