Roman Reconstructionism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roman Reconstructionism

The purpose of this thread is to discuss Roman Reconstructionism.

ECCE, PARAT CئSAR DOMITO QVOD DEFVIT ORBI
    ADDERE: NVNC, ORIENS VLTIME, NOSTER ERIS.
    PARTHE, DABIS POENAS.

SVR | FORVM ROMANVM | CCEL | VNRV
    LINGVA LATINA | BIBLIOTECA LATINA | LATINA VVLGARA
    Il Sussurro Delle Streghe | Benedicaria |Rue's Kitchen | Stregoneria Italiana

Nova Roma
    http://www.novaroma.org/religio_romana/
    subtitled Roman Religion in Antiquity and Today a single paragraph on the main page seems to sum up what they are trying to achieve well:

It cannot be approached by inserting Roman deity names into Greek religion, modern Wicca or any other system, for Roman religion is a unique product of the culture that created it. It is a faith that demands steadfastness and devotion to duty. It involves working in harmony with the eternal gods and with universal order, for the benefit not only of ourselves but also the world around us; with right action and attitudes towards the gods, both the State and the individual will prosper. Yet the Religio Romana involves more than pious action and worldly power; there are also Mystery traditions which focus on inner spiritual growth, and these too will be addressed by Nova Roma as we continue to expand and improve our understanding and emulation of our glorious spiritual ancestors.
    History teaches us this: no-one learns anything from history

My Photo Album ~ pictures n' stuff

EPONA.net ~ a scholarly resource. History and archaeology of the goddess Epona.

Comment

Temple of Religio Romana
      http://religioromana.net/

Perhaps more directly practical, this site includes useful links to Ritual Tools, Recipes for Offerings, and Roman Prayers (taken from literature, not reconstructed).

Comment

RELIGIO ROMANA at ancient worlds
        http://www.ancientworlds.net/aw/Group/73546

Since I am a Pontifex there, I can't be trusted with an unbiased opinion

Comment

Originally posted by Holly
          Ok . .
          So Holly, I was meaning to ask what the Greek means by your name and it occurs to me, since half the Roman empire spoke Greek, maybe its on topic here anyhow?

Comment

Hey Nantonos. I didn't know you were a Pontifex. I'm a Senator at SVR.
            Vale bene!

PARTHE, DABIS POENAS.

Comment

Originally posted by TYRRHENUS
              Hey Nantonos. I didn't know you were a Pontifex.
              Well, its only an admin position. But its a good information source.

I'm a Senator at SVR.
              Vale bene!
              Cool!
              Last edited by Nantonos; November 7th, 2005, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nantonos
                Well, its only an admin position. But its a good information source
                They think its a little odd that I have a Gaulish name over there, but hey, if we assume mid first century its not so odd. Blood brothers of the Roman Nation and all that ...

Comment

Originally posted by Nantonos
                  They think its a little odd that I have a Gaulish name over there, but hey, if we assume mid first century its not so odd.
                  That's why I'm not a member of Nova Roma. They're hardcore.
                  Blood brothers of the Roman Nation and all that ...
                  Hail Rome!

I wonder how many people here are actually interested in the Religio Romana & related reconstructions? Not many I bet.

PARTHE, DABIS POENAS.

Comment

Hands up who thinks the Pontifex Maximus did more to the Vestal Virgins than whipping them :D
                    :clapping:

Comment

That's why I'm not a member of Nova Roma. They're hardcore.
                      Hardcore is fine; hardcore and revisionist is not. Historically there were people who were part of the Roman Empire, had separate treaties with Rome, were accepted as fraternal brothers; who sent Senators to Rome, in some cases became Roman citizens, and did not have Roman style names.

I wonder how many people here are actually interested in the Religio Romana & related reconstructions? Not many I bet.
                      I am interested in that I want to understand Gallo-Roman religion, which appears to have adopted Roman modes of worship for syncretised deities and indeed for un-assimilated ones. The Romans did not mind which deity was worshipped as long as the form of worship was correct by Roman standards.

Comment

Originally posted by macha

Hands up who thinks the Pontifex Maximus did more to the Vestal Virgins than whipping them :D
                        :clapping:
                        Well, there was burying them alive but I guess you are not referring to that.

Whats this about whipping? Did it happen often? Was it mutual?

Comment

no, I think it was a 'punishment' from the Pontifex for having naughty rumpy-pumpy or similar :hehehehe:

edit: or it could have been for letting their candles go out, I forget - it was so long ago I did Classic Civ...!
                          Last edited by mucgwyrt; April 27th, 2004, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by macha
                            edit: or it could have been for letting their candles go out, I forget - it was so long ago I did Classic Civ...!
                            I am so not going there (any further there) in the interests of keeping this 'PG13' (which I gather is a film rating in the USA meaning ok for 13 year olds with parental consent? Or something?)

Comment

Trouble in Paradise

SALVETE OMNES, S.V.B.E.V.

Does anybody know what the heck is going on at NR? Someone has been removed from her position as Sacerdos Matris Deorum Magnو and has been given a lifetime ban on ever holding public office. Supposedly without a trial! Also, reading the threads at the Yahoo group the last few weeks I noticed several citizens resigning from a number of posts.
                              I would send an e-mail addressing my concern, but I suppose this is a matter for their sodales to resolve. I would just hate to see the organization go as it is the oldest RR group online.

VALETE BENE,
                              L. TYRRHENVS GARRVLVS SENATOR ئDILISQVE SOCIETATIS VIئ ROMANئ

PARTHE, DABIS POENAS.

Comment

Working...
                              X