Some inaccurate authors to stay away from

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BryonMorrigan View Post
    Really? Does your definition of "Western European" exclude Rome then?
    Also, just wanted to add, I take it she hasn't heard of the Golden Dawn, OTO, Dion Fortune, Crowley, etc.

Comment

I was around for the dabate on this list and it got quite heated. This was done by "majority rules" for who did and who did not make the list. Like all lists they are flawed. But to me it's not a bad list. I'd make sure Monroe, Akins, Conway and McCOy are always on those lists. The rest... are choice. I happen to agree with the whole list. But I am a Zealot about bad source materials.

Comment

Just curious, how is McCoy on the list? I have Celtic Myth and Magick, and though I havent dived deep into it yet, it doesn't seem bad. Just wondering if I should bury it now.
        "We are men of nature, we are made from the earth, at the end of my eighty, I'll return to the dirt"

Comment

Originally posted by enteef89 View Post
          Just curious, how is McCoy on the list? I have Celtic Myth and Magick, and though I havent dived deep into it yet, it doesn't seem bad. Just wondering if I should bury it now.
          Her books are basically Wicca with shamrocks slapped on. What you end up with is neither Wicca nor Celtic, really, but the author's own construct. That's fine if you get something out of it, and find some truth in it, but it's not what CRs would recommend as a good read because she's notoriously shoddy in her research and presents throroughly bad history - where to start on that one, really?

Pentagrams aren't Celtic - they weren't used or emphasised in Celtic ritual. The four elements are a Classical model, not native to Ireland - they saw the world in terms of land, sea, and sky. She presents the typical model of 'the God and Goddess' as Celtic.

The very use of the word 'Celtic' in her books is wrong, because what she's really doing is basing her work on Irish culture and smushing bits from other Celtic cultures in, and emphasising the historicity of it all. 'Wita' is not an ancient Scottish religion; 'Witta' is not an ancient Irish tradition. She presents both as historical and factual. In fact, she presents many of the different paths she mentions as historical, when they're not.

In another book, Witta, she mentions an ancient Irish potato goddess. Except, of course, there were no potatoes in Ireland until the Americas were (re)discovered. Nor is 'Witta' (or Wita) a word that would ever be found in Gaelic.

Most of the books on this list are there because they present bad history or outright lies. As an author, McCoy falls under both camps and really while her work might be of value to many, it has basically none to CRs. CR emphasises good historical research and practices based on what we know of the pre-Christian Celtic cultures. McCoy does neither, and as such she just isn't all that relevant to a CR approach. The big sticking point is that she presents what she's writing as historical and authentic, when what she's really doing in framing an eclectic mix of Celtic cultures, Classical and bits of medieval occult philosophy in a modern neopagan practice.

Put simply: Even when she gets her research right, her presentation is completely at odds with a CR approach. Personally, I'd recommend you bury it if you're looking for something that's based on good research.
          Last edited by Seren_; November 30th, 2010, 06:09 AM.

Comment

Some of the work that has been published from the 70's on in particularly most of Lewellyn's books, are just the same info being repeated with a different style to avoid lawsuits.

It is always smart to try and find as close to the ancient texts as possible. Some of the new books are entertaining, and refereshingly helpful in clarifying and expanding on things, but they are few and far inbetween...

In Amber K's defense tho, her little green pocket sized book on True Magic was kinda nice.. it is a nice beginners book. I still like to read it now and then and pick out things I needed to be reminded of.

Edain McCoy, eh, *shrugs* the only one of her books I actually bought was her "Witches" qaballa, and i particularly liked her likening of the Tree to a hard drive file system.. it helped me somewhat to perceptualise the method of associating things in their proper sphere.
            11 Year Member
            Forum Guide for
            Astrology and the UFO & Extraterrestrial forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Xander67 View Post
              Lewellyn
              I just have to see that on a book and I usually put it down. I think, like a lot of folks, my first books came from them....then I figured out exactly what Xander said. I was also 15 at the time.

Comment

Working...
              X