What *is* Satanism?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What *is* Satanism?

This is not my path, however I have come across a topic on another board that I am on regarding this topic. A few things from a certain person has been bugging me and I was hoping that, here, I could gather some actual information. I will note that this person is a Christian, not sure if that matters but it might, it seems they are defining terms based on their own religion.

Satanism as I use the term involves the invoking of the devil and/or evil spirits for the purpose of securing the destruction and harm of others, as opposed to most non-Christian religions, which involve the invoking of angels, benevolent forces, or neutral spirits for the purpose of securing some good or favor that is needed. In different indigenous cultures there are variations of devil worship that come from strains of hatred and vengeance, and opposed to the more noble aspects of a culture's religious spirit, and these darker movements would be accompanied with self-mutilation or the torture and killing of animals (and in extreme cases, humans). Anton LeVay is in a different group altogether, having pretty much invented his own unique form of "devil worship."
    I disagree that the term "satanism" refers to a "specific religion" since the evidence is out there that it is a term shared by many religions, unlike the term, "the Christ."
    Thoughts?

A question for Christians This is the thread and the part about Satanism starts at post number 228.
    Last edited by TuathaSidhe; June 3rd, 2011, 01:38 PM.

Now i can only reply to part of your quote in regards to LaVeyan Satanism.....it has nothing to do with any type of worship of an entity. The idea is that you are the god, using the figure Satan because he is one we should all strive to be like, the rebel, disregarding the herd, and being purely unique (also, he chose to call it Satanism to scare away the close minded, the ones who he knew would chose not to be the intelligent and find out for themselves). You can go to the Church of Satan website, they have some of their documents like the Nine Satanic Statements, the Satanic Rules of The Earth, and other essays written by Anton LaVey. That Christian was definitely wrong in his understanding of LaVey (just noticing now they spelled his name wrong too).

Just a side note.....their is also some saying going around, believe it is in the Satanic Bible too, that one can only be born a Satanist. For anyone else to try and follow the teachings/ideas of this religion, from personal experience, it is really hard if you do not have their mindset already.
    “When a man's willing and eager, the gods join in.”

Comment

The church of Satan website can be found at www.churchofsatan.com. Otherwise I agree with ShadowWolf, this is a great place to learn what they do and don't believe. I learned what I know of Satanism from a LaVeyan Satanist friend, and from this site. I found the information quite eye-opening.
      I was raised in the Christian Church, where I was given a lot of misinformation on Satanism and many other Pagan beliefs. The friend I mentioned and the Church of Satan webite were quite helpful in correcting the misinformation that I had been given by the Christian religion.
      I pray this helps you.
      Blessings on your search for answers.

Comment

Thank you guys so much. Like I said, its not my path and I'm not really drawn to it to practice, but I *do* find it very interesting and if I'm going to speak about something I want as much factual info as I can get. :D

Thanks again.

Comment

Hello, I saw your post and i was intrigued, i have been interested in finding out also about satanism because i like to be informed as much as i can. I have read the Satanic Bible but it ended up raising more questions for me because i had remembered reading somewhere that some satanists don't actually believe in Satan as he is the creation of the christian church, but then when i read the bible (Satanic) he was there a lot??

I would recommend Out of the shadows by John J. Coughlin if you want to read about the darker side of spirituality, there is also a website, i have found it very helpful - http://www.waningmoon.com
          sigpic

☆~☽✪☾~☆Labrynth☆~☽✪☾~☆

Me - "I dont know what i am and its frustrating!"
          Aset - "You may not know what you are, but you know who you are, and that is far more powerful than any label man could give you."

Comment

If you had read the Satanic Bible thoroughly, than you would know that he uses the term Satan just as a name, for the ultimate being for which every Satanist much strive to be like. He could have used any other being, but he chose to use Satan because it would be the one that scared most people away who weren't intelligent enough to make their own steps forward into the unknown. Satan is the word the strikes the most fear into the hearts of us humans because we all, for the most part, were raised to despise him/be scared of him.

In regard to the book and the site you linked to, sure those may be some very good sites for someone interested in the darker side of Paganism, but Satanists hate to label themselves as such (the ones i know anyway). They do not believe in any of the magic, spiritual, supernatural things that Pagans do without the absence of proof (they aren't closed to the fact that something doesn't exist, they just feel that without proof, their is no room for it)
            “When a man's willing and eager, the gods join in.”

Comment

Thankyou for clearing that up, I guess it makes sense to use his name to scare people away since there is so much stigma attached.
              I posted the link for those who might be exploring the shadow sides of things like myself as i found it an excellent read, if in the wrong section i apologize =).
              sigpic

☆~☽✪☾~☆Labrynth☆~☽✪☾~☆

Me - "I dont know what i am and its frustrating!"
              Aset - "You may not know what you are, but you know who you are, and that is far more powerful than any label man could give you."

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowWolf1214 View Post
                If you had read the Satanic Bible thoroughly, than you would know that he uses the term Satan just as a name, for the ultimate being for which every Satanist much strive to be like. He could have used any other being, but he chose to use Satan because it would be the one that scared most people away who weren't intelligent enough to make their own steps forward into the unknown. Satan is the word the strikes the most fear into the hearts of us humans because we all, for the most part, were raised to despise him/be scared of him.

In regard to the book and the site you linked to, sure those may be some very good sites for someone interested in the darker side of Paganism, but Satanists hate to label themselves as such (the ones i know anyway). They do not believe in any of the magic, spiritual, supernatural things that Pagans do without the absence of proof (they aren't closed to the fact that something doesn't exist, they just feel that without proof, their is no room for it)
                It wasn't just about scaring away the unintelligent, it was also used to draw attention. LeVay knew, and said, that using satan would get the worlds attention because it was blasphame. He also used it to represent going against the grain as a whole.
                There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. H.L. Mencken

Comment

Working...
                X