X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Zine View Post
    How does a person know that they are born to be a Satanist
    Who can say?

By the time I discovered Satanism, I had already been a Satanist for 5 years.

Comment

• My word... after researching the path of Satanism for many hours, it seems that I agree with at least 90% of it perfectly. Nothing else have I agreed with more, or even that close to such. Something has -really- been pulling me to it for weeks now, but this is the first time that I've looked into it deeply, though I knew I agreed with much of it on a rough level before. This path doesn't require me to give up anything that I am... I definitely must look into this further.

Comment

• Thanks for posting this. I confess, I didn't read all the replies. This is one long thread! But I have to say, Satanism makes a lot more sense to me now. Many, many of your philosophies agree with mine. Of course, some don't, particularly that I'm not an atheist. Still, it was interesting to know that we have so much in common. (I really, really hate stupidity! lol) I was fairly prejudiced until I read this. Now, I'm not. Hmmm..... maybe education is the key to overcoming prejudice? lol Thanks again for this educational opportunity.
        If you're looking for a pissing match, please look elsewhere. I know what I can do, and don't need to defend it, or be competitive about it. I don't enjoy conflict, so please choose someone who does. Sincere questions are, of course, welcome. Blessed be.

I have a blog now at LiveJournal. It's uncut raw emotion, so proceed with caution, if that sort of thing bothers you.

Have you ever been in a battle of wits, only to realize that your opponent was unarmed?

The only person who has to like you is the one you see in the mirror every day.
        Ironically, if she does, others will, too.

Comment

• This topic is so interesting. I think Satanism seems so balanced, and makes the most sense out of every religion and philosophy I have read about.

When I was in High School, in our religious class we were taught that Satanists were "evil" and just wanted to bring down Christianity. I never believed it tbh. Even when I didn't know anything about it. I generally believed that Christianity caused more hate and corruption. I have never heard of a Satanist doing anything "evil" or to control others - which is what I have heard Christians claiming they do. Yet I hear so many stories of Christians doing some horrible, vile things.

Kinda makes you think.

"We are only asked to love, to offer hope to the many hopeless. We don't get to choose all the endings, but we are asked to play the rescuers. We won't solve all mysteries and our hearts will certainly break in such a vulnerable life, but it is the best way. We were made to be lovers bold in broken places, pouring ourselves out again and again until we're called home." ~
          TWLOHA

Facebook

Comment

• Thread resurrection approaching!

I think the following post is an excellent summary of some Satanic beliefs, although it seems to assume that real Satanists all subscribe to the views and beliefs of Anton LaVey's CoS. It states that Satanists are all atheists which is not true; some of us are indeed theistic Satanists; which is to say we think of and relate to Satan as an actual entity (although for most of us the Satan we believe in bears little or no relation to the grotesque characterisation of Satan as portrayed by some Christians. For me personally Satan is both the archetypal Horned God of diverse pagan traditions; and also Lucifer, the bringer of light and wisdom. Having said that, I do agree with much of the CoS philosophy.
            Originally posted by Muireannach View Post
            Hello All!

After seeing the interest, misconceptions, and frequent questions that I get from those wondering about Satanism, I have decided to devote a thread to the topic to promote a degree of understanding to those of willing ears. This FAQ is designed to be brief and stripped down to the essentials; however, click on names and subjects to find a link to a more in-depth resource.

Before I continue I would just like to say that this is not a thread of attempting to convert anyone or promote my beliefs. This thread was made with good intent and is not tainted with self-promotion or recruitment.

Note: I will add more in the future and will continue to update this thread as time goes on or if interest grows in this little project of mine! lol

That being said I present to you:

The Official MysticWicks Satanism FAQ:
            Or:
            "Mommy Why do the Satanists get Mad When I Flip Their Pentacle Right Side
            Up?"

__________________________________________________________________________

Section One: The FAQ

Do you guys believe in Satan?
            No, Satan is just an archetype in our view. We are athiests and do not believe such an entity exists.

If you don't believe in Satan, why do you call ourselves "Satanists?"
            Through readings of philosophy and the bible we believe that Satan was in fact the image of the "human animal." We find that our actions and views on the world are in line with the mythical figure of Satan.

Please Read The Nine Satanic Satanic Statements in Section Two.

The Christians have the cross, the pagans have the pentacle, what is your symbol?
            The inverted pentacle or the "baphomet"

"In the middle ages the Baphomet was believed to be an idol, represented by a human skull, a stuffed humans head or a metal or wooden human head with curly black hair. The idol was said to be worshipped by the Order of Knights Templar as the source of fertility and wealth. In 1307 King Phillip IV of France accused the Order of the Knights Templar of heresy, homosexuality and among other things, worshipping this idol and anointing it with the fat of murdered children. However, only 12 of the 231 knights interrogated by the church admitted worshipping or having knowledge of the Baphomet. Novices said they had been instructed to worship the idol as their god and savior, and their descriptions of it varied: it had up to three heards and up to four feet; it was made of either wood or metal, or was a painting, sometimes it was a gift."

Exert from this website.

Why do you say "Hail Satan"?"
            Hail Satan is an equivalent to "Hail Me."

Do you believe in God?
            We are athiests....

Do you believe in the Afterlife?
            We are athiests....

Who started Satanism and is he alive today?
            Anton LaVey (1930-1997) began Satanism and passed away in 1997 of heart ailments on the 29th. He began the Church of Satan in May 1966 after much inspiration from his various careers and readings of philosophy. The Church of Satan is now headed by his former secretary turned wife Blanche Barton (mother of Xerxes LaVey) with the assistance of his eldest daughter Karla LaVey. One of his daughters, Zeena LaVey is currently in a legal dispute over ownership. (My personal input: Zeena LaVey has no right as Anton left it to Blanche Barton in his will.....)

Anton wrote quite a few books including The Satanic Bible, The Satanic Witch and The Satanic Rituals, The Devil's Notebook, and Satan Speaks. He also recorded a few rather eerie albums such as Satan Takes a Holiday.

Fun Fact: He played the devil in the classic film Rosemary's Baby.

Here is his picture:

What influences did LaVey use to create Satanism?
            Aleister Crowley, John Dee & Kelly, Chaos Magic, Kabballah, The Knights Templar, Quantum Physics and Nietzsche.

Are Satanists selfish and cruel?
            There are people out there who call themselves "Satanists" who actually are not part of the Alien Elite (see below) who may be that way. That being said I will delve into the "ego" of the Satanist.

We love ourselves, take pride in our selves, and offer love to those who we see as deserving rather than love wasted on ingrates. We tend to avoid people who irritate us or attempt to harm ourselves or those near to us. We reject people who generally commit The Nine Satanic Sins (see Section Two)...or that we find otherwise distasteful on a personal level.

We do not believe in the harm of animals, children, or others. Read The Eleven Satanic Rules of the Earth in Section Two for the exact rules on the subject.

Who are/What is the "Alien Elite?"
            We believe that Satanists are born, not made. Those who are meant to be Satanists will be Satanists regardless of if they have a knowledge of who LaVey is or not. There are people out there who are not Satanists but we consider to operate on the same level as us as they have traits we favour, such as intelligence. We tend to see quite a few people as sheep as they believe whatever they are told and never question or work in their interest.

Here is a picture of a satanist at birth...

Some may develop horns slower than others.

I heard that Satanists value animals more highly than humans? is this true?
            We believe that human beings are animals like any other being on this Earth. We are clever animals but we believe some people are better than non-human animals, and many are less than those who walk on all fours. We are all animals requiring food, sex, water, and an enironment for survivial.

Eg: I would save the life of a cat over that of a pedophile.

Do Satanists mistreat children?
            No, we regard them as the world's natural magicians. They are the only innocence in an otherwise corrupt world and must be protected and treated exceptionally well.

Satanists dislike Pagans.
            This depends on the Satanist; however, I will have to say this. If it doesn't effect us we don't really care. We may not believe what many pagans do but we respect that you have found your own path rather than accepting whatever religions have been forced upon you. A lot of Satanists love history so they tend to find common ground with reconstructionists and other historically themed pagan groupings.

Do Satanists practice magic?
            In a way, yes. We have Lesser and Greater magic.

What is Lesser and Greater Magic?
            I will use and exerpt from Anton himself to describe it.

"Ritual magic consists of the performance of a formal ceremony, taking place, at least in part, within the confines of an area set aside for such purposes and at a specific time... purely an emotional, rather than intellectual, act. Any and all intellectual activity must take place before the ceremony, not during it. This type of magic is sometimes known as "GREATER MAGIC". "
            Anton LaVey, The Satanic Bible, Book of Belial: 1

"Non-ritual or manipulative magic, sometimes called "LESSER MAGIC", consists of the wile and guile obtained through various devices and contrived situations, which when utilized, can create 'change, in accordance with one's will'. "
            Anton LaVey, The Satanic Bible, Book of Belial: 1

What do Satanists think of abortion? same sex marriages and other hot-topic issues?
            Each Satanist is different, but the main belief is whatever people chose to do is their business if it does not effect us. We believe that living your life the best you can and living it for you, not to please others.

There is this guy next door who says he is a Satanist and walks around in dark clothing trying to capture cats for rituals, do you know him?
            There are TONS of posers and cults that form from individuals who want to exploit the faith and/or have their own "image" to make their parents get concerned. Be wary of such people.

Sections Two: Statements, Rules, and Core Beliefs.

The Nine Satanic Statements

I Satan represents indulgence, instead of abstinence!
            II Satan represents vital existence, instead of spiritual pipe dreams!
            III Satan represents undefiled wisdom, instead of hypocritical self-deceit!
            IV Satan represents kindness to those who deserve it, instead of love wasted on ingrates!
            V Satan represents vengeance, instead of turning the other cheek!
            VI Satan represents responsibility to the responsible, instead of concern for psychic vampires!
            VII Satan represents man as just another animal, sometimes better, more often worse than those that walk on all fours, who, because of his "divine spiritual and intellectual development, has become the most vicious animal of all!
            VIII Satan represents all of the so-called sins, as they all lead to physical, mental, or emotional gratification!
            IX Satan is the best friend the church has ever had, as he has kept it in business all these years!

From the Satanic Bible

The Eleven Satanic Rules of the Earth

I Do not give opinions or advice unless you are asked.
            II Do not tell your troubles to others unless you are sure that they want to hear them.
            III When in another's lair, show him respect or else do not go there.
            IV If a guest in your lair annoys you, treat him cruelly and without mercy.
            V Do not make sexual advances unless you are given the mating signal.
            VI Do not take that which does not belong to you unless it is a burden to the person and he cries out to be relieved.
            VII Acknowledge the power of magic if you have used it successfully to obtain your desires. If you deny the power of magic after having called upon it with success, you will lose all you have obtained.
            VIII Do not complain about anything to which you need not subject yourself.
            IX Do not harm little children.
            X Do not kill non-human animals unless attacked or for your food.
            XI When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask him to stop. If he does not stop, destroy him.

Anton Szandor LaVey, 1967 c.e.

The Nine Satanic Sins

Stupidity -- The top of the list for Satanic Sins. The Cardinal Sin of Satanism. It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful. Ignorance is one thing, but our society thrives increasingly on stupidity. It depends on people going along with whatever they are told. The media promotes a cultivated stupidity as a posture that is not only acceptable but laudable. Satanists must learn to see through the tricks and cannot afford to be stupid.

Pretentiousness -- Empty posturing can be most irritating and isn't applying the cardinal rules of Lesser Magic. On equal footing with stupidity for what keeps the money in circulation these days. Everyone's made to feel like a big shot, whether they can come up with the goods or not.

Solipsism -- Can be very dangerous for Satanists. Projecting your reactions, responses and sensibilities onto someone who is probably far less attuned than you are. It is the mistake of expecting people to give you the same consideration, courtesy and respect that you naturally give them. They won't. Instead, Satanists must strive to apply the dictum of "Do unto others as they do unto you." It's work for most of us and requires constant vigilance lest you slip into a comfortable illusion of everyone being like you. As has been said, certain utopias would be ideal in a nation of philosophers, but unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately, from a Machiavellian standpoint) we are far from that point.

Self-deceit -- It's in the Nine Satanic Statements but deserves to be repeated here. Another cardinal sin. We must not pay homage to any of the sacred cows presented to us, including the roles we are expected to play ourselves. The only time self-deceit should be entered into is when it's fun, and with awareness. But then, it's not self-deceit!

Herd Conformity -- That's obvious from a Satanic stance. It's all right to conform toa person's wishes, if it ultimately benefits you. But only fools follow along with the herd, letting an impersonal entity dictate to you. The key is to choose a master wisely instead of being enslaved by the whims of the many.

Lack of Perspective -- Again, this one can lead to a lot of pain for a Satanist. You must never lose sight of who and what you are, and what a threat you can be, by your very existence. We are making history right now, every day. Always keep the wider historical and social picture in mind. That is an important key to both Lesser and Greater Magic. See the patterns and fit things together as you want the pieces to fall into place. Do not be swayed by herd constraints -- know that you are working on another level entirely from the rest of the world.

Forgetfulness of Past Orthodoxies -- Be aware that this is one of the keys to brainwashing people into accepting something "new" and "different," when in reality it's something that was once widely accepted but is now presented in a new package. We are expected to rave about the genius of the "creator" and forget the original. This makes for a disposable society.

Counterproductive Pride -- That first word is important. Pride is great up to the point you begin to throw out the baby with the bathwater. The rule of Satanism is: if it works for you, great. When it stops working for you, when you've painted yourself into a corner and the only way out is to say, "I'm sorry, I made a mistake, I wish we could compromise somehow," then do it.

Lack of Aesthetics -- This is the physical application of the Balance Factor. Aesthetics is important in Lesser Magic and should be cultivated. It is obvious that no one can collect any money off classical standards of beauty and form most of the time so they are discouraged in a consumer society, but "an eye" for for beauty, for balance, is an essential Satanic tool and must be applied for greatest magical effectiveness. It's not what's supposed to be pleasing -- it's what is. Aesthetics is a personal thing, reflective of one's own nature, but there are universally pleasing and harmonious configurations that should not be denied.

Anton Szandor LaVey, 1987 c.e.

Section Three: Recommended Reading and Websites:

Websites:

The Church of Satan, Satanism 101, Magic and Ritual in Satanism,

Recommended Reading:

Books Written by LaVey: The Satanic Bible, The Satanic Rituals, The Devil's Notebook, Satan Speaks!, The Satanic Witch

Other Books of Interest:
            The Secret Life of a Satanist: The Authorized Biography of Anton LaVey.

The books listed can be searched on Chapters by clicking here.
            Originally posted by Stormbeard View Post
            I wouldn't reccomend that any Satanist subscribe their views to one church or organization. It's dangerous to allow anybody dominion over your thoughts, even by power of suggestion.
            Totally agree. However I think you can learn a lot from participating with other Satanists, and it can be fun!

Originally posted by Stormbeard View Post

By the time I discovered Satanism, I had already been a Satanist for 5 years.
            LOL, me too!
            😈 "It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful." Anton LaVey 😈

Comment

• Thank you, Cassie - it's nice to see a fellow Theistic Satanist with some common sense in here.
              sigpic
              "Ihr seht nach oben, wenn ihr nach Erhebung verlangt. Und ich sehe hinab, weil ich erhoben bin." ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

• Originally posted by Torey View Post
                Thank you, Cassie - it's nice to see a fellow Theistic Satanist with some common sense in here.
                Actually to be honest it's quite nice to see anybody in here! I am pleased I am not the only Theistic Satanist still visiting MW.

Comment

• Heaven forbid there are now two active Theistic Satanists here...

Perhaps some interesting conversation is in the cards....
                  sigpic
                  "Ihr seht nach oben, wenn ihr nach Erhebung verlangt. Und ich sehe hinab, weil ich erhoben bin." ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

• Originally posted by Torey View Post
                    Heaven forbid there are now two active Theistic Satanists here...

Perhaps some interesting conversation is in the cards....
                    Well now there are three.
                    But I noticed that post was made over three years ago already. Are you still a member here?

Comment

• Originally posted by Anima Nera View Post
                      Well now there are three.
                      But I noticed that post was made over three years ago already. Are you still a member here?
                      It seems not... Maybe he'll come back. Until then it seems like just the two of us!

Comment

• Yes, still here. Though not as often anymore.
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X