Blue Star Wicca

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue Star Wicca

There's a Blue Star coven in my area that is offering teaching, and I'm thinking of studying with them. From what I've read on Wikipedia and Witchvox, they are a tradition with Gardnerian and Alexandrian roots, and their training focuses on personal transformation. It sounds difficult, but I'm interested in checking it out. It would be nice to be a part of a community and learn from others after studying on my own for so long. Does anyone have any thoughts about the Blue Star tradition?

I'm a Brit with umpty-tump years' experience of Wicca, who has studied with a BlueStar coven. It was a great experience, limited only by the cost of crossing the pond. Challenging, but fun, entirely my kind of thing. At least make contact and see whether you fit - even within a system, groups vary.

Though I'm not into bikes, the patch 'Blue Star Bikers, because balance is part of belief' sums it up.

blessings
    ffetcher
    Last edited by ffetcher; May 28th, 2010, 05:50 AM.

Comment

Comment

Raised within the trad.

"Challenging?" not so much.

In Blue Star, as with other Traditions you may find, "Initiates" aren't general members, but people who seek to be clergy: folks with a calling to teach others who are new or searching for a path.

What many people call Initiation (dedicating oneself to the path of Paganism, or a particular sect of Wicca) - is called Dedication in Blue Star.

As you can guess the path differences between seeking to become a dedicated follower/participant of the Tradition is entirely different path than seeking to become a community leader called to service. The latter requires a lot more time, experience, and practice within the trad, working with the HP/HPS.

Even Blue Star's general practitioners, or Dedicants have "homework" much the same as anyone going to a "church" would have homework. The goal is to provide a community atmosphere for worship/celebration/magick workings while inspiring you to also take what you do at the ritual and learn there "home" and apply it to your daily life.

Comment

well they are a legit offshoot of traditional Wicca, if that means anything to you, I have limitied experiences with them, but the experience I do have has been largely positive, I suggest you talk to the coven leader(s) and let it go from there.
          "The word "natural" is completely meaningless! Everything is natural! Nature includes everything! It's not just trees and flowers! It's everything! A chemical company's toxic waste is completely natural! It's part of the nature! We're all part of nature! Everything is natural! Dog shit is natural! It's just not real good food!" George Carlin

http://www.last.fm/user/kidthorazine/

Drop acid, not bombs.

Add me on facebook! (please mention that you are from MW and include username)

Comment

I've been to a few rituals with this group, and the rituals are nice and the people are lovely, but I don't think it's for me. I don't like Wiccan ritual very much, and I knew that going in, but I just wanted to practice with other pagans, regardless of tradition. At least I learned from this that I prefer practicing on my own, and now I'll just associate with other pagans socially

Comment

I'd go ahead and give it a go, and see what becomes of it. All the Traditionals I know, however, don't consider Blue Star Traditional, and object to it's lumping in with "British Traditional", which solely consists of the Gard&Lexie Traditions.

There's only one way to find out if it'll benefit you, best of luck if you pursue it!
              Semper Fidelis

Comment

Originally posted by Micheلl View Post
                I'd go ahead and give it a go, and see what becomes of it. All the Traditionals I know, however, don't consider Blue Star Traditional, and object to it's lumping in with "British Traditional", which solely consists of the Gard&Lexie Traditions.
                It's actually a tad more complicated than that, apparently some initiatory lines are considered Traditional because pretty much anyone who has a trad lineage is considered BTW unless they convert to something else or do something gravely inconsistent with Wiccan ethics/beliefs/practices. In line with that, apparently some covens practices are more in line with general BTW practices than others.
                Last edited by Nox_Mortus; August 15th, 2010, 05:43 AM.
                "The word "natural" is completely meaningless! Everything is natural! Nature includes everything! It's not just trees and flowers! It's everything! A chemical company's toxic waste is completely natural! It's part of the nature! We're all part of nature! Everything is natural! Dog shit is natural! It's just not real good food!" George Carlin

http://www.last.fm/user/kidthorazine/

Drop acid, not bombs.

Add me on facebook! (please mention that you are from MW and include username)

Comment

Originally posted by Nox_Mortus View Post
                  It's actually a tad more complicated than that, apparently some initiatory lines are considered Traditional because pretty much anyone who has a trad lineage is considered BTW unless they convert to something else or do something gravely inconsistent with Wiccan ethics/beliefs/practices. In line with that, apparently some covens practices are more in line with general BTW practices than others.
                  Ah yes, I've run into that before. I think one of the things that make it that tad complicated was the term BTW being coined, and more specific to the States, where the likes of Blue star or Central Valley Wicca wouldn't be considered "Traditional" in the UK or Ireland from Gardnerians&Alexandrians. Then again, we've also run into Traditionals with conflicting views as well, which always makes for an interesting "history" :hahugh:
                  Semper Fidelis

Comment

Originally posted by Erebos View Post
                    At least I learned from this that I prefer practicing on my own, and now I'll just associate with other pagans socially
                    I apologise Erebos, I somehow read over this by accident. Well good on you for giving it a go, you'd be amazed how many people aren't able to take the initiative and do so. Hopefully you had a memorable experience, and at least learned a bit more about yourself in the process.
                    Semper Fidelis

Comment

Ah yes, I've run into that before. I think one of the things that make it that tad complicated was the term BTW being coined, and more specific to the States, where the likes of Blue star or Central Valley Wicca wouldn't be considered "Traditional" in the UK or Ireland from Gardnerians&Alexandrians. Then again, we've also run into Traditionals with conflicting views as well, which always makes for an interesting "history" :hahugh:
                      BTW is more specific to the states, because they're the ones that took the term. It's not referred to as BTW in Europe, usually, unless talking about the lines in the states. Blue Star is considered valid by most BTW's here in the states, but not all. They're that weird cousin that we all love. :weirdsmil
                      Check out my shop for a variety of jewelry, salves, crafts, and more: www.divineessencecreations.com

Find me on Facebook for updates, coupons, and discussions on products that you want to see: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Divine...85628011493663

Comment

I apologise Erebos, I somehow read over this by accident. Well good on you for giving it a go, you'd be amazed how many people aren't able to take the initiative and do so. Hopefully you had a memorable experience, and at least learned a bit more about yourself in the process.
                        Thanks, Michael! It was a good experience, and I made some new friends, so positive things came out of it. I might still participate in some of their rituals, as I enjoy them despite not identifying with them on a religious level (I just like religious ritual; I used to go to Catholic mass sometimes, as well). I told the high priest I'm Hellenic in my personal practice and hadn't practiced Wicca in years, and he was fine with that and said I could participate as long as it wasn't problematic for me.

The one complaint I have about coven practice in general is passing around the cup. It's kind of gross for a group of people to drink out of the same chalice, and I did it to be polite, but I realize now that I'm not obligated to do so. They also say "blessed be" a lot, which I understand, but at the same time makes me feel like I'm on Charmed. It's just an adjustment, getting used to a practice I'm not used to. In my own worship, I just do simple things like burning incense and pouring libations to the gods as offerings, I'm not used to complicated rituals and social dynamics.

Comment

It's kind of gross for a group of people to drink out of the same chalice
                          Oh I understand, I always drink in a tight filtering manner when doing so myself, just in case someone didn't consume all of their "cakes of light." Virgos don't like that :hahugh:
                          Semper Fidelis

Comment

Oh I understand, I always drink in a tight filtering manner when doing so myself, just in case someone didn't consume all of their "cakes of light." Virgos don't like that :hahugh:
                            I think I got a crumb from someone else's cake the last time I sipped from the cup, and it took a lot of effort to try not to gag during ritual. I'm a Virgo too, and we definitely don't like that.

Comment

I think I got a crumb from someone else's cake the last time I sipped from the cup, and it took a lot of effort to try not to gag during ritual. I'm a Virgo too, and we definitely don't like that.
                              We always drink before we eat.
                              Check out my shop for a variety of jewelry, salves, crafts, and more: www.divineessencecreations.com

Find me on Facebook for updates, coupons, and discussions on products that you want to see: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Divine...85628011493663

Comment

Working...
                              X