Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laura Cabot and Christopher Penczak, Fluffy or Not

Merry Meet, Everyone,

I was wondering what people thought personally of Laura Cabot (that's not even her real last name) and Christopher Penczak. Christopher, who is an author of several books, was taught and trained under Laura Cabot in the Cabot tradition and even took the last name of Cabot when he was initiated. So my question is do you think that these authors are fluffy or what. I've got his first book and I'm having trouble with it because it's not working.

Advice on the future reading of this book and if Laura and Christopher are fluffy.

Blessed Be!!!!

I don't know about Laura Cabot, but I do own a few books by Penczak. And like with most things I purchase it was a mixed reaction. While I'm sure the exercises and meditations are helpful they weren't quite what I was looking for. Yet they did give me a general to go in and a few ideas about my own Path. Some of those ideas didn't work out so well, but I was glad I took the time to look into them.

As for the fluffiness of Penczack's books....~shrugs~....it didn't appear that way to me, but then again I can turn the most innocent, pink unicorn and butterfly image and turn it into worst possible scenario in my head. :toofless: I just didn't see any pink unicorns in my books....though I did speed read through much of it. :bigredgri
    What We have fought and bled for will never be lost to us.

Comment

From what I gather about Cabot is she can still be a little old school. In the there was a golden pagan goddess worshiping age till nasty judeo-christians and or men messed it up. As for Penczack I've never really read much of his work not being wiccan and all. But I would advise caution when dealing with a certain company that has crescent moons on the spines of their books.
      As I was walking all alane, I heard twa corbies making a mane, the tane unto the nither did day, What sall we gang and dine the day?

Comment

I have Penczak's "Sons of the Goddess" which I bought for my own sons. I was MEH and so were the boys so....
        Khara's Chaos

Comment

Originally posted by Meadhbh View Post
          From what I gather about Cabot is she can still be a little old school. In the there was a golden pagan goddess worshiping age till nasty judeo-christians and or men messed it up. As for Penczack I've never really read much of his work not being wiccan and all. But I would advise caution when dealing with a certain company that has crescent moons on the spines of their books.
          Oh I agree with that. That company will publish anything. Give me some good, hard evidence, books any day. Of course that's just me. I'm reading about the Norse religion as those people settled in Germany and so it's part of my blood. Love the fact that, with Wicca, you don't need to get anyone's permission to add ancestor deities to your practice. Oh on a side note for those that may want to know this: Heathenism does do magic. So that tells me that I can have my Norse gods and my magic as well. Yay, for me.

Comment

It depends what you can consider fluffy, and what you can expect from authors that write about magic&witchcraft. I've never read anything from Penczak, but know of a few people that benefited from his work.(I saw he had visited my old local metaphysical shop in St. Louis when I was visiting for Thanksgiving Khara :D) but did read Power of the Witch when I was 15, (can barely remember anything from it) but she has done some good things, and since I'm also a Godsmack fan, like her for the contribution to their Voodoo video, despite her wacky reputation.
            Last edited by Micheal; May 31st, 2011, 02:34 PM.
            Semper Fidelis

Comment

Originally posted by Meadhbh
              From what I gather about Cabot is she can still be a little old school. In the there was a golden pagan goddess worshiping age till nasty judeo-christians and or men messed it up.
              That's not "old school"; that's ignorant.

Faith is easy -- until the moment you actually need it.

"Since when are facts subjective?" - Athena_Nadine

"Turning and turning in the widening gyre
              The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
              Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
              Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
              The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
              The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
              The best lack all convictions, while the worst
              Are full of passionate intensity."

– W.B. Yeats, "The Second Coming"

Comment

I'm fond of Christopher's books. I think some of what is written is worded to be mainstream friendly. I think that for many books of the same publisher. I suppose that could be considered fluffy. (Or smart. His books make it to the popular bookstores.) If you have the opportunity to attend any workshops of his I would do it. He is true to his material but with more depth. He provokes thought. That, to me, is what makes his work worthwhile.
                Support MW by subscribing

We don't exist without your help.

Comment

Originally posted by GEBS View Post
                  I'm fond of Christopher's books. I think some of what is written is worded to be mainstream friendly. I think that for many books of the same publisher. I suppose that could be considered fluffy. (Or smart. His books make it to the popular bookstores.) If you have the opportunity to attend any workshops of his I would do it. He is true to his material but with more depth. He provokes thought. That, to me, is what makes his work worthwhile.
                  Thanks. The problem with most books that have the crescent moon on the spine is that you don't know if the person's work is any good. Ravenwolf is a good example of this. However one of the things that keeps me away from anything that's from Laura Cabot is the fact that she charges a ton more money for basic things then anyone that I know. i should know this because I've been to her shop, even the new one. I live here in Mass and have been to Salem three times.

I went to another shop, a man that could remember you once he saw you (cool ability if you ask me, makes it easier for him to tell a police office what a person looked like without any problems if someone should rob his shop) and he charged normal price for his things. Some people are only in it for the money and I feel that's why Laura does it. Of course I might be wrong about her intention in having a shop but I highly doubt it. She makes up things like the victims of Salem were witches. When someone tells her that she's wrong she twists it around (she said this on some program that I saw on Youtube)

Well that's all I have to say until someone comments on this.

Comment

Originally posted by Micheلl View Post
                    It depends what you can consider fluffy, and what you can expect from authors that write about magic&witchcraft. I've never read anything from Penczak, but know of a few people that benefited from his work.(I saw he had visited my old local metaphysical shop in St. Louis when I was visiting for Thanksgiving Khara :D) but did read Power of the Witch when I was 15, (can barely remember anything from it) but she has done some good things, and since I'm also a Godsmack fan, like her for the contribution to their Voodoo video, despite her wacky reputation.
                    Which shop? I didn't see anything a the one I know of. St. Louis is sadly lacking in metaphysical shops for a city this size, I have gone to buying almost everything offline these days.

I forgot about her and the Voodoo video, but I have never read anything sh wrote, so I honestly can't form an opinion.
                    Khara's Chaos

Comment

Originally posted by )O( ~ Khara~ )O( View Post
                      Which shop? I didn't see anything a the one I know of. St. Louis is sadly lacking in metaphysical shops for a city this size, I have gone to buying almost everything offline these days.

I forgot about her and the Voodoo video, but I have never read anything sh wrote, so I honestly can't form an opinion.
                      Pathways in South County. That was the main one I'd go to, but Mystic Valley on Laclede Station Rd. was another one I'd visit. Pathways was my local though, and I still keep in touch with them, and make it a point to visit when I'm able to make it back to visit. If they don't have it, they can get it
                      Semper Fidelis

Comment

Isn't Cabot the one that said (and I recall you agreeing with her) that Wiccan's weren't real? Yeah, I'd call her ignorant if I was trying to be polite, and other things if I didn't mind being banned.
                        Check out my shop for a variety of jewelry, salves, crafts, and more: www.divineessencecreations.com

Find me on Facebook for updates, coupons, and discussions on products that you want to see: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Divine...85628011493663

Comment

Originally posted by Sekhmet Soul30 View Post
                          Thanks. The problem with most books that have the crescent moon on the spine is that you don't know if the person's work is any good. Ravenwolf is a good example of this. However one of the things that keeps me away from anything that's from Laura Cabot is the fact that she charges a ton more money for basic things then anyone that I know. i should know this because I've been to her shop, even the new one. I live here in Mass and have been to Salem three times.

Well that's all I have to say until someone comments on this.
                          This is what I get for not reading all the posts. I'm gonna call BS, and only because of what I just mentiond in my other post. At one point, she was your main backing for saying things like "Wiccan's aren't real" and other garbage that came from her that backed what you wanted to believe at the time. Which is it? You agree with her, or that you've been put off by her? I'm just curious here, really.
                          Check out my shop for a variety of jewelry, salves, crafts, and more: www.divineessencecreations.com

Find me on Facebook for updates, coupons, and discussions on products that you want to see: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Divine...85628011493663

Comment

If this is the Cabot I'm thinking of, I recall that most of her spells called for hair "from a live, shedding wolf" and other difficult to procure ingredients. I don't know about you, but I just don't have that kind of money to spend on spell/ritual supplies, especially since there are other (cheaper) ways to celebrate the sabbats/esbats and cast the same sort of spells.

I have Penczak's "Spirit Allies" and it's very new agey with its Ascended Masters/Great White Brotherhood (which isn't a racist organization, I think the 'white' refers to 'white light' not 'white skin' etc.) stuff. The book was my first introduction to godforms/aspecting/deity possession, but then he starts going on talking about "prosperity devas" and such (the use of the word 'deva' in this context is a very New Age thing). The correspondence tables at the back of the book make me laugh, each deity is reduced to one or two keywords and some of them are very WTF.

I'd say Penczak is fluffy and Cabot is expensive, but your mileage may vary.

Comment

I think you mean Laurie Cabot.

Personally, I'm not a fan of either of them. Penzcak strikes me as the more level-headed, but just barely. Based on what little I know about them, I question whether they're sincere or just after a dollar. They both seem wildly eclectic to me. I'm sure they're quite interesting to many and I suppose it is possible that they have some great insights or advice to offer, but I just can't see it.

-Jet
                              Last edited by jetpiston; June 3rd, 2011, 10:59 AM. Reason: not spel gud. :-/

Comment

Working...
                              X