Views on Divinity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Views on Divinity?

Alright fellow Wiccans, what is your views on the Divine?

I hold to a sort of Panentheism where the Lord and Lady are an intrinsic part of nature and also beyond it.

What do you guys believe?
    My Wicca Apologetics Blog

Here is where I get shot down a lot. I'm very atheist about it. I don't believe there are higher beings but if one wishes to focus on a certain deity then fine. It helps further direct energy.

I believe the entire universe and everything included in it is equal. By casting spells and such, we are asking for a favor much like asking someone to help you with homework or for a horse to move forward (kind of hard to explain.)

At the same time, I think we could be a part of something bigger but it is not understandable by any creature ever created. I'm not sure of the name for this, sorry lol.

Comment

Sounds like a pantheism of sorts, almost a Taoism perhaps? Either way thank you for your answer

Comment

I haven't looked into Taoism much really. But yeah I get shot down a lot...not that anyone else can prove their thoughts are the right way or anything haha.

Comment

Great question.

This has been plaguing me for a few years and is one of the reasons my devotion, I guess you could say, to Wicca fizzled. I've been doing a lot of soul searching and looking at my personal beliefs and the other day I wrote it down as best as I could. I finally was able to put into words my beliefs of Deity and affirm that Wicca is right for me. If you don't mind, I'll share what I wrote. It's very raw thoughts so the punctuation isn't great. And it's a little long:

The universe is made up and surrounded by an energy that is all encompassing, but not communicative as itself, which I will call It. The only way It can talk to us is by expelling a tiny minute mixture of it's energy, which form into the Goddess and God. One or the other or both can appear, depending on who you ask for and what It wants you to feel or do.

But in order for me to converse with the Goddess and God, which is really like a holograph or projection of a specific mixture of Its energy, which has taken shape, and is how my message will ultimately reach It, I must get in a certain state of mind in order to communicate with the Goddess and God.

It can combine elements of itself in all different combinations, and each of these combinations are a specific Goddess and God. Or another combination could be to send its energy to heal a sick child when someone casts a spell to help a child in need. Maybe there is a mother who is casting a money spell in order to pay the next phone bill. It can send a few sparkles of energy to balance the energy in that area in just a way that she will come into some money to pay her bill on time.

Because It is around everything, and it is within everything; because we are essentially tiny complex combinations of Its energy, it can do infinite things at once. So It can cause the child’s injuries to heal, and It can talk with the Wiccan through a Goddess, and It can help the mom by making money go her way. All at the same time.

It cannot communicate and It is not “Alive” or in anywhere or anything like a person. It can only communicate, but in a very one-way, way, without manifesting Goddesses and Gods and as long as we are in the right state of mind, with our doors open waiting for the Goddess and God to come. Then they will appear to us.

So, the Goddess and God are real, like you and I, just different combinations of It’s energy, but the Goddess and God are living on a different level of energy than we are, and on that level of energy we can only reach them and communicate with them when we are in the right state of mind, when we are open, and when we are listening. And, they are just a few specific combinations of sparks created by It, in order to communicate with us.

It’s energy moves about by our thoughts, because it is part of us, so that is why spells and praying works. And there tends to be clumps of specific energy together, like good energy in some clumps and negative energy in others… too much negative is bad. But energy wants to get next to the same type of energy.. thus like energy attracts like energy… good attracts good and negative attracts negative.. so good things happen to good people that are emulating good energy, and negative energy attracts more negative energy, so negative things happen to negative people. Which is why Law Of Attraction, spells, and prayers all work.
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          By the light of the moon and sun,
          May you be blessed where ever you go.
          And always remember to have fun,
          While your mind continues to grow.

SkylarB

Comment

Interesting thoughts SkylarB, thanks for sharing!

Comment

Your welcome Robertus! And thanks for reading!
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              By the light of the moon and sun,
              May you be blessed where ever you go.
              And always remember to have fun,
              While your mind continues to grow.

SkylarB

Comment

Originally posted by SkylarB View Post
                Great question.

This has been plaguing me for a few years and is one of the reasons my devotion, I guess you could say, to Wicca fizzled. I've been doing a lot of soul searching and looking at my personal beliefs and the other day I wrote it down as best as I could. I finally was able to put into words my beliefs of Deity and affirm that Wicca is right for me. If you don't mind, I'll share what I wrote. It's very raw thoughts so the punctuation isn't great. And it's a little long:

The universe is made up and surrounded by an energy that is all encompassing, but not communicative as itself, which I will call It. The only way It can talk to us is by expelling a tiny minute mixture of it's energy, which form into the Goddess and God. One or the other or both can appear, depending on who you ask for and what It wants you to feel or do.

But in order for me to converse with the Goddess and God, which is really like a holograph or projection of a specific mixture of Its energy, which has taken shape, and is how my message will ultimately reach It, I must get in a certain state of mind in order to communicate with the Goddess and God.

It can combine elements of itself in all different combinations, and each of these combinations are a specific Goddess and God. Or another combination could be to send its energy to heal a sick child when someone casts a spell to help a child in need. Maybe there is a mother who is casting a money spell in order to pay the next phone bill. It can send a few sparkles of energy to balance the energy in that area in just a way that she will come into some money to pay her bill on time.

Because It is around everything, and it is within everything; because we are essentially tiny complex combinations of Its energy, it can do infinite things at once. So It can cause the child’s injuries to heal, and It can talk with the Wiccan through a Goddess, and It can help the mom by making money go her way. All at the same time.

It cannot communicate and It is not “Alive” or in anywhere or anything like a person. It can only communicate, but in a very one-way, way, without manifesting Goddesses and Gods and as long as we are in the right state of mind, with our doors open waiting for the Goddess and God to come. Then they will appear to us.

So, the Goddess and God are real, like you and I, just different combinations of It’s energy, but the Goddess and God are living on a different level of energy than we are, and on that level of energy we can only reach them and communicate with them when we are in the right state of mind, when we are open, and when we are listening. And, they are just a few specific combinations of sparks created by It, in order to communicate with us.

It’s energy moves about by our thoughts, because it is part of us, so that is why spells and praying works. And there tends to be clumps of specific energy together, like good energy in some clumps and negative energy in others… too much negative is bad. But energy wants to get next to the same type of energy.. thus like energy attracts like energy… good attracts good and negative attracts negative.. so good things happen to good people that are emulating good energy, and negative energy attracts more negative energy, so negative things happen to negative people. Which is why Law Of Attraction, spells, and prayers all work.
                This is very close to how I feel.
                )O( blessed be )O(

Comment

Well, someone's got to get the ball rolling on this thread. As part of my return to the board, I'll jump right in!
                  My view is mostly hard polytheist with some elements of panentheism. I don't think the "Lord and Lady" are the only two gods--their attributes and correspondences are too specific for them to be generic, all-encompassing. But I also don't think that the gods aren't part of some greater force or even perhaps a bigger entity. I'm at the point where I do see most gods to be individual, different beings--thought some are overlapping, being the same god with different names--but that they form part of a larger energy, a larger divine presence. This is both from personal feelings and from reading up on Wicca's origins and original beliefs.

The way I've always put it, Wicca traditionally and conventionally has the same outlook on divinity as Hermeticism. It's just that the focus is different; Hermeticism aims to worship The All, the highest and most unified divine force. Whereas Wicca and other polytheistic religions focus on worshipping the ground-floor deities, the ones interacting with us directly.

Comment

I subscribe to a form of pantheism. The Monad is the sum total of all that exists, can exist or even can be conceived of. It could reasonably be called "God" but shouldn't be mistaken for YHVH, Allah or especially Jesus Christ, who as named gods are only fractions of the total, even if They are infinite in Their own right.

Comment

I might be being a bit pedantic and technical, but that sounds a bit more like panentheism than pantheism. Pantheism usually refers to things like Spinoza's conception of god; that the divine pervades all existence, but is without real consciousness or mind. It posits that the divine is more like a force.
                      Whereas panentheism is like what Thelema and Wicca usually posit: that the divine is the sum of All, and it has a central "hub" mind or consciousness. It's just that it also incarnates as many forms, many minds, i.e. the gods as individual entities. Which sounds like what you're saying. Something a bit closer to Plato, Aristotle, or even Pythagoras.

But, again, I might just be being pedantic. Panentheism certainly has elements of pantheism, and vice versa.
                      Last edited by Louisvillian; December 31st, 2011, 07:19 AM.

Comment

I believe the Lord and Lady are two of the many aspects of the True Divine as I call it. They are two of the many pantheistic aspects of the True Divine. Not all the aspects are pantheistic though. They are also dual and equal to each other

Comment

After much consideration, I'm going to say I have panentheistic beliefs with soft polytheistic leaning. The polytheism part is more cloudy since I believe the gods are individuals AND archetypes, not one or the other. I don't think individual gods are as interested in our lives as some people believe. It's hard to trust a spirit that might be a deity or might be just a spirit messing with you.
                          My Online Journal

Comment

Working...
                          X