No announcement yet.

Why do eclectic-Wiccans cast a circle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do eclectic-Wiccans cast a circle?

No, really, i want to know why you feel drawn to casting a circle. I don't mean a circle of salt, I'm referring to the quarters, pentagrams, the whole thing.

This reason we see this in eclectic Wicca, is obviously because Gardner incorporated a lot of ceremonial magic(k) into his praxis and while while his praxis is very different than the non-trad Wicca most have been exposed to, the circle casting is one of aspects
    which has been widely adopted. This is interesting because while Wica is very ceremonial it is often sold to those who are not very ceremonial at heart. One thing i hear a lot by those who transition out of non-trad Wicca is that they just couldn't do the whole circle thing, it didn't work well for them.
    Or, there correspondences were different and they felt like they'd rather do their own thing than adapt the existing format.

So, to the non-trad Wiccans out there, does building up a circle conflict with your general style of witchcraft? Does it seem at odds with the rest of your practice, or have you been able to integrate it well?:
    Last edited by Humming Bird; December 19th, 2016, 03:02 PM.
    Tsalagi Nvwoti Didahnvwesgi Ale Didahnesesgi
    (Cherokee medicine practitioner of left and right hand paths)
    anikutani.stfu-kthx.net - The Anikutani Tradition

Since I don't have a dedicated space yet with the exception of my altar in order to do my work, I cast a circle to create a sacred space for rituals. That's the only time I cast circles, when doing rituals. And I'm pretty sure I don't do it the traditional ways. =)
    Even when your hope is gone, move along just to make it through the night.
    my blog

Accepting Tarot Requests

Comment

For my purposes the circle serves multiple purposes. It creates sacred space, and serves as a model of the structure of the universe.
      The circle contains power and helps us to direct it.
      Each man performs his service to the Holy according to what he is, not according to what he is not; after all, the sacrifice must not surpass the proper measure of the worshiper. - Iamblichus

Comment

I'm not Wiccan and I cast a circle. Like Sollie, it creates a sacred space for me. Celtic Reconstructionists like to use sacred places in nature but my altar is on a breakfast table in my closet. Not may outdoors scared places nearby.

Also, it *feels* witchy. For me, I've found that it's more important how something feels than what it conventionally signifies.
        "It's like a dream to try to remember but it's gone
        Then you try to scream but it only comes out as a yawn
        When you try to see the world beyond your front door"

*Banner and sig by Geministar*
        AM currently accepting reading requests (because why not?)

Ghosted by Eternal Night!
        :irish: Shamrocked by Annorah!

Comment

My house has guards and wards around it, and my room in particular is a place I try to keep peaceful and welcoming to the Gods, spirit guides, and elementals. So I don't feel a need to cast a circle here.

(It's also welcoming to my family, adult daughter, two teen grandkids, three small dogs and a guinea pig. They all come in and hang out with me at least once a day.)

I'm part of an eclectic group that does cast a circle and invite or invoke the elementals and the Goddess and God at rituals. With a group it helps to focus group energy on the same thing and to hold the energy in place until it's released at it's peak. Otherwise you can imagine little lightning bolts of energy going off at random times in random directions, not nearly as effective.
          Home is not a place, it's a feeling.

Comment

For me, casting the circle is more of a mental practice whereby I move from ordinary consciousness to nonordinary, magical consciousness. The sacred is always there, we are just taking the time to focus on it. Casting circle is part of the mental practice of moving from the regular thought patterns to more magical thinking. It's kind of like "tuning in". I tend to see magic more in terms of psychological transformation though.
            My Online Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Rain Gnosis View Post
              For me, casting the circle is more of a mental practice whereby I move from ordinary consciousness to nonordinary, magical consciousness. The sacred is always there, we are just taking the time to focus on it. Casting circle is part of the mental practice of moving from the regular thought patterns to more magical thinking. It's kind of like "tuning in". I tend to see magic more in terms of psychological transformation though.
              I see this as very spot on. I was taught that it was very important to be in that space psychologically, that it wasn't enough to just do the ritual gestures but that they were the external tot the internal process of creating and aligning to a liminal place and space.

Much of the work in and out of circle was learning to hold that liminal space of the crossroads, it was and is from there that we work.
              Tsalagi Nvwoti Didahnvwesgi Ale Didahnesesgi
              (Cherokee medicine practitioner of left and right hand paths)
              anikutani.stfu-kthx.net - The Anikutani Tradition

Comment

Working...
              X