Moving away from Wicca...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving away from Wicca...

Has anyone else noticed this trend amongst pagans...namely, that a lot of pagans start out from having an interest in Wicca and then progress to non-Wiccan paths? Why do you guys think this is? Is it to do with the volume of available information on Wicca as opposed to other types of paganism (the first book I ever had was "Wicca: a guide for the solitary practitioner"...go figure). Is it just that people are perhaps uneasy at first about experimenting outside of clear guidelines (the rede etc)?

Personally I started out being mainly interested in Wicca but have lately been investigating all kinds of different paths. I still follow the rede and think I probably always will, but I have ceased to call myself Wiccan, and I'm now looking into other ways of doing ritual etc (that whole "I call on the guardians of the watchtowers... just isn't me...)

Thoughts, people?
    Last edited by Iris; September 11th, 2004, 10:02 AM.

I know that I started out studying the Wiccan Path. I think that this because of the amount of information readiily available out there is a big draw. There is also a comfort level in it, knowing that is more well know, and more accepted than some of the others. Also as a newbie, I think it is a bit disconcerting and difficult to be able to create a path completely your own, or follow one less known. Additionally, I think on the surface, Wicca has a lot to offer and has a lot of philosophies that people will say, "Wow that is how Ifeel." But as they delve deeper into their studies, more comes out that they perhaps disagree with, and then have the confidence to shed what they dislike. After a while, these people realize that they are no loger practicing Wicca, but rather a religion of thier own.

Of course, this is referring maining to those who end up on an Eclectic path, rather than one who ends up in Druidry, or as a Reacon, or Heathen.

My Blog: The Musings of Faery-Wings

Comment

definitely, most of the informatioon out there is geared towards Wicca, if you look more closely there is information on many other paths but, I agree that most people possibly start off with Wicca...

*~Thanks Faeawyn for my wonderful banners~*

Comment

i think in my case, it's just because we (meaning the people i know personally), are growing up... and for us, wicca was umm... fluffy. not saying it's fluffy period. but for us it was... as we grow and mature, we leave wicca behind us and go to other paths that are more practical for us.

Comment

I think that we all have a desire to reach the place where we feel comfortable, knowing that we can be the best we can be.
          That our heart, mind and feet lead us to that place, and it seems normal to me, that there are many paths that we walk upon that lead us to that place.

No Regrets!
          Global Glasses

"You can dislike who you wish, hate what you want, or you can practice love, respect and understanding." ~Flar

"I don't abandon or dislike people for hope or love or who they are as a person. Life is too short for that." ~Dru

"When you assume, you make an ass outta you and me" ~ Someone's very intelligent Aunt
          "The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

MysticWicks Candle Altar

Compassion is the highest virtue!
          ~ ~ ~

Witchy links 4 You!
          Welcome to my World!
          Something Special!

Do you ever wonder what I wish for?

Want fast, custom web content without writing a single word?

Comment

Originally posted by Iris
            Is it to do with the volume of availbale information on Wicca as opposed to other types of paganism
            :uhhuhuh: yes.
            Is it just that people are perhaps uneasy at first about experimenting outside of clear guidelines (the rede etc)?
            no.

(of course i can only speak for myself, but i think that's pretty much the reason.)
            Last edited by mothwench; September 11th, 2004, 09:45 AM.

Comment

i started out in Wicca..
              I was a Celtic Wiccan for about 5 years... then I moved up & on to Celtic Reconstructionism.
              I guess things just change.

Comment

I've noticed that too.. and it also happens to hold true for me. I had no idea this stuff was out there until my best friend became obsessed with Wicca and told all of us all about it. I was wary, and never really became Wiccan because it seemed like a hype rather than religion, but it was thanks to Wicca that I've found out that there's more out here than I can imagine.
                --Katie Blood

Gryphon Emblem Book Series
                http://www.gryphonemblem.com

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned." --The Buddha

Comment

I was Wiccan for about three months before I realized I didn't believe most of it, and moved towards tradional folk witchcraft path. Soon afterwards, I learned about Irish Celtic Reconstruction and just jumped right into it, because it was just...me.

I think people start out Wiccan even if they don't really believe in it because its the easiest to get information on. Once a person learns about other paths, they realize if what they believe isn't right for them, and move on.
                  Faeawyn is a Goddess!

That crazed girl improvising her music, her poetry, dancing upon the shore,
                  Her soul in division from itself, climbing, falling She knew not where,
                  Hiding amid the cargo of a steamship, her knee-cap broken, that girl I declare
                  A beautiful lofty thing, or a thing heroically lost, heroically found.
                  -Yeats-

'Cause I've seen blue skies through the tears
                  in my eyes
                  and I realize, I'm going home
                  -RHPS-

Comment

That's so true!I started with Wicca and I am still wiccan,I think I will always have the main wiccan beliefs in me.It's that when I started I was mainly just wiccan,now I started exploring other traditions too.

~Anna

Oh, the summer time is coming,
                    And the trees are blooming,
                    And the wild mountain thyme
                    Grows around the blooming heather.

Comment

For me it was the first Pagan religion I was introduced to. I met Wiccan friends, so naturally, when I decided Paganism was for me, I switched to Wicca. Then, as I grew spiritually, I also grew in confidence and realized that it was okay to form my own set of beliefs. I still "think Wiccan" in many ways, and still respect a lot of what I learned, but my Path has led me to knew and different Truths now.

Seeking comfort for the concrete blisters on my soul.

It's not what you believe that matters, but simply that you do believe.

Meet , the official smilie of a Tigger lovin' {Tigress}!

Comment

MM!~
                        Wicca is the most accessible and dare I say 'mainstream' tradition of Paganism, and therefore it is often the door to the world of Magick, so to speak. It does offer a sense of comfort in that its central tenet expresses that we are individuals with a will of our own, but should work to bring no harm to others and ourself, which immediately allows an individual to feel justified in feeling an affinity with a religion that is popularly associated with Satanists.

I identified as Wiccan for the first year or two, much like everyone else here, and then I realised that I wasn't following Wicca and yet I knew that I'm Pagan. I think it's mainly because newbies aren't entirely sure of what it is to be Wiccan and think that the term is simply a broad and open term relating to anything remotely Magickal or Witchy, therefore they adopt it with great enthusiasm. But that's not to say that everyone who is Wiccan will drop it to find something more, there are many that are truly spiritually aware in that system.

Namaste, Gede...
                        The soul is a veiled light. When neglected, it flickers and dies out, but when it is fed with the holy oil of love, it shines forth like an immortal lamp.

Comment

I was never interested in Wicca,I read about wicca after the fact.I guess people move on from wicca because its kinda blah,and a little bit cheesy.but if it helps you out then use it by all means.
                          Beware my friends as you pass by,
                          as you are now so ounce was I,
                          as I am now so you shall be,
                          prepare my friends to follow me.
                          -Old Tombstone saying.

That is not dead which can eternal lie,
                          And with strange eons even death may die.
                          -H.P.Lovecraft

RAY OF LIGHT
                          Integrated Massage Therepy.
                          56 n.bedford Street.
                          E.Bridgewater,Ma 02333
                          508-350-9991
                          For messages ask for Ray
                          For Reiki,Past life regression,crystal therapy,and spirit guides ask for Kerry.
                          www.getthestressout.com

Comment

another resonwhy I think people move on from wicca is beause theres no magick there,or barely any.And its a hint of paganism.So naturally if you are interestedin magick or paganism you will move on to something less lacking.
                            Beware my friends as you pass by,
                            as you are now so ounce was I,
                            as I am now so you shall be,
                            prepare my friends to follow me.
                            -Old Tombstone saying.

That is not dead which can eternal lie,
                            And with strange eons even death may die.
                            -H.P.Lovecraft

RAY OF LIGHT
                            Integrated Massage Therepy.
                            56 n.bedford Street.
                            E.Bridgewater,Ma 02333
                            508-350-9991
                            For messages ask for Ray
                            For Reiki,Past life regression,crystal therapy,and spirit guides ask for Kerry.
                            www.getthestressout.com

Comment

I personally never gave myself a name such as 'wiccan' or anything. But I did however start out with learning about Wicca. At first it seemed like it was completely right for me, but later on I learned that it wasn't. I've found things that I don't quite agree with.

I think people start with calling themselves Wiccan and then move on because Wicca is quite well know at the moment. If you want to know something about it you can easily find information.
                              Save a tree :: Eat a beaver

Comment

Working...
                              X