No announcement yet.

Moving away from Wicca...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmmmm... interesting question this. I have been a practising Pagan for 15 years now, and I can honestly say I have moved away from Wicca..

For the first 10 years or so I did call myself Wiccan, and practised it too, but as time has passed, I changed. I noticed that it was not important for me to do spells etc. I still ascribe to the tenets and philosophy of Wicca.. but..

I have to say that I am leaning more and more to becoming a Middle-pather... one that values the darkness of being Pagan as well as the light of being Wiccan. I was never really convinced that Wiccans were "white-witches" there is imho no such thing.. and magick is not black or white, but grey and so on..

I have a deep rooted interest in Satanism(proper) not the Laveyan one.. :| I don't believe in props.. and as I have studied this I have found that there are quite a few things that are comparible between Wicca and Satanism (proper) which are quite interesting..

But being a middle pather is quite satisfying actually. I have made peace with having to make spiritual sacrifices in order to grow - if that even makes sense. I feel that that is the direction the Goddess wants me to move into, so I am open to new experiences and learning as I go..
    Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow talent to the dark place where it leads. Erica Jong

Comment

Ive moved away from Wicca, because like others, I thought it was one thing and felt connected to some of the things I thought wicca was. I mean no offense to anyone who wishes to call themselves wiccan, but I no longer see it as a generic path like neo paganism. I view Wicca as BTW(Alexandrian/Gardnerian). Calling oneself Catholic but not being born or converting to it, doesn't make it so and having similarities does not make it so either. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it must be a duck, but if walks like a human and talks like a human but dressed like a duck, its still a human. But this is just my opinion.
      I tried for years to force my beliefs to what I believed Wicca was, but the more I learned, the more I realized, my beliefs & practices and "Wicca", were never going to be the same. And I realized no matter how I practiced or believed, if it wasn't Wiccan, it wasn't Wiccan, no matter how much I said it was. The beliefs and practices of Wicca, just are not my belief's. I have no "religion/path", any longer. I do however have similar beliefs with different paths.
      Last edited by Kern; June 4th, 2011, 10:03 AM.

"But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."-Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1782

My Beliefs

Comment

When I first started exploring my spirituality I knew my beliefs were not Christian so started to explore. All the information I found that had anything to do with what I believed seems to point to Wicca, so I claimed the name and explored the religion. It was only after my researching skills evolved (and perhaps more information came available) that I explored other pagan paths, and realised that what I believed (and practiced) was not really Wicca at all (which also explained why I didn't feel comfortable with calling myself Wiccan all along).
        "I'm a foodaholic and I'm on the road to recovery."
        "You can't really love anyone who never makes you laugh."

Daughter of Yinepu-Wepwawet. Beloved of Satet and Amun-Ra

I offer reasonable priced readings, please take a look here AND on Facebook

Comment

I don't think I ever really started out as a Wiccan, but I did start my research there. I just couldn't follow something that came out of nowhere in the 60s, which is what my research made it seem like. However, I suspect people who don't take Wicca seriously was the source of my information there, but yeah. Since then, I've moved onto not worrying about the label of my path, but the fact it's built on personal experience and no less, no more.

Comment

I actually started out as Seax Wicca, but Buckland got the whole Wodan relationship with Freyja wrong (Wodan and Freyja were not husband and wife), so I started to read the history and the lore of Heanthenry. I did stray away from Wicca for awhile, but if I am honest with myself, there are some parts of Wicca that I still like, and I am more drawn towards the pentacle than the Hammer. So I don't really know where I stand right now, but I'm always willing to learn and evolve.

Comment

Originally posted by Death the Kid View Post
              I later found my way into Zen Buddhism and this satisfied all of my questions, yet I still wasn't done with Witchcraft (as divorced from Wicca). Zen offered me everything I needed emotionally and intellectually; yet even it is not a complete system. It's not meant to be. I find myself walking in the shoes of a Soto Zen practitioner and wearing the hat of a Witch. I don't mix the two paths, but they do inform one another.
              Nice to see other Zen-folk around this forum.

When I first left Christianity, I looked and found Wicca. Like others I think I wanted it to fit when it really didn't, at least for me. It did, however, help open my eyes to other belief systems and give me hope that I would eventually find something that felt more comfortable - for that I'll always appreciate it. I found my connection with the Goddess there.

I too moved into Zen Buddhism, but my faith in the Goddess has remained strong. Its hard to explain, but I think the author of the quoted post does a good job of it (although at times I admit I do blend them).

-sm
              On the path to peace is where I find Her, She shows me the way there.

Comment

I think for alot of people Wicca is just a starting point. Way back when I first stumbled upon this path about 15 years ago I knew that this was the path for me. But with time it took the back seat to other interests. Now I find my self coming full circle and embracing it once again.

Comment

Wicca, in all its various permutations, still seems to be the easiest form of paganism for the seeker to discover; but as those seekers discover more about themselves, and about what else exists beneath the wide umbrella of paganism in general, many of them will gravitate away from wicca and toward more specialized spiritualities that better suit them. I was trad wiccan (Gardnerian) off and on for quite a while, but it was a bad fit from the start, and I eventually moved on. It happens. It means you're growing.
                  "When I see things and I am unable to discern the cause, my faith in reason and consequences are shaken. Two plus two equals four. I put sugar in my coffee and it tastes sweet. The sun comes up because the world turns. These things are beautiful to me. There are mysteries I will never understand, but everywhere I look I see that for every effect, there is a corresponding cause. Even if I can’t see it. I find that reassuring."

~~Dr. Temperance Brennan, Bones 5x14 "The Devil in the Details"~~

Visit my sites:

Comment

Wicca's the easiest to find information on. The easiest to find books and websites seem to be Wicca-focused. I was never a Wiccan, but I remember when I started looking for information on magic and Paganism, Wicca, and Wicca-like practices were the first thing I came upon, so that's where my reading started. And I figure that happens to alot of people, why after reading about, and maybe practicing Wicca, realise there's something better out there for them.

Comment

I'd say that there a lot more terrible books about Wicca than there are beneficial ones, and the beneficial titles are a bit dated, other than a few gems that make it out there today. The route to pursue Traditional Wicca isn't the shortest either, which would consist of having read most of the common books written by traditional authors, and knowledge of the outer-court, before seeking out a coven, completing the meet-n-greet process, and undergoing at least a years training being brought through wheel of the year, and discovering if your energy and personality is ready, and able to mesh with that of the covens. In this period of time one would imagine it would be a sufficient enough amount of time to decide if the path is right for you before going through with initiation, which will be done at the right time.

Wicca is a mystery tradition, which aren't really the easiest forms of paganism to get involved with. Maybe the easiest to hear about, but how many people that decided it wasn't for them, or even how many authors out there in the commercial world completed this cycle compared to those that haven't?
                      Last edited by Micheal; July 8th, 2011, 02:02 PM.
                      Semper Fidelis

Comment

I guess it depends how you see Wicca. Neo eclectic Wicca-ish material is widely available but I'm not sure how well it represents what Wicca was meant to be.
                        My Online Journal

Comment

Working...
                        X