Polytheism in Witchcraft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AkashaW
    Well, first off I'll say that I disagree with the idea that Wicca is separate from Witchcraft. By my training and in my definition, these are the same thing...
    i'm curious as to how you think an agnostic witch would feel about this statement.

i will agree that you can't take the witchcraft out of Wicca, but i do not believe that the reverse holds true. perhaps i misunderstood?
    some people are like slinkies -
    not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when they are pushed downs the stairs.

True enlightenment comes from discovering principles which challenge your spiritual view, not from inventing principles to confirm it.

Comment

Originally posted by Theres
      i'm curious as to how you think an agnostic witch would feel about this statement.

i will agree that you can't take the witchcraft out of Wicca, but i do not believe that the reverse holds true. perhaps i misunderstood?
      You'll have to define your terms. I don't know what YOU mean by "wicca" or "witchcraft." Since, as I said, to me the words are synonymous, I have no idea how one would take one "out of" the other. Nor do I have any idea how an agnostic witch would feel.

I DID ask people to please define their terms for me.
      AkashaW

Comment

nah... nevermind.
        some people are like slinkies -
        not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when they are pushed downs the stairs.

True enlightenment comes from discovering principles which challenge your spiritual view, not from inventing principles to confirm it.

Comment

I'm with Theres.

If Wicca=Witchcraft and Witchcraft=Wicca then all witches are Wiccans. And if that's the case, why are Gardnerians in particular always so upset when non-Gardnerians call themselves Wiccans?

Ben Gruagach
          MysticWicks forum guide in "Paths: Wicca", "Books" and "History"
          author of The Wiccan Mystic: Exploring a Magickal Spiritual Path
          visit my website at http://www.witchgrotto.com
          read my LiveJournal blog
          find me on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Gruagach
            I'm with Theres.

If Wicca=Witchcraft and Witchcraft=Wicca then all witches are Wiccans. And if that's the case, why are Gardnerians in particular always so upset when non-Gardnerians call themselves Wiccans?
            Since I'm Gardnerian and I don't know ANY Gardnerians who get upset when non-Gardnerians call themselves Wiccan, I have no answer to that. And just for the record, I don't know of any Gardnerians who get upset when others call themselves Witches, either. In fact, one very learned HP once said that "Gardnerian is the modifier of the term Witch."

If you could give me some names of Gardnerians who've said these things....?
            AkashaW

Comment

The Wicca vs. Witchcraft debate has been analyzed to death in other threads...

Comment

Originally posted by purplepanther
                I agree with you, i think there are lots of other threads for that debate.

Comment

~

Khaire & Blessings
                  The soul is a veiled light. When neglected, it flickers and dies out, but when it is fed with the holy oil of love, it shines forth like an immortal lamp.

Comment

Khaire & Blessings~
                    I always find discussions about one's opinion/experience conerning the nature of Deity to be extremely fascinating. I have come to the assertion or rather conclusion that the Gods care not so much of how we see them, only that we do. In saying that I am a hard polytheist as I have experienced my Gods in both collective and indepedent circumstances and as each of us is connected to the generic human gene as a species, we are also independent of one another. I am not a reconstructionist, however I do perform reconstructed versions of Hellenic rituals in my devotions because they work for me and because a half of my deities can be described as "Hellenic". Other than that I am divinely-inspirational, going with the flow and keep with the traditions and custom that arise from gnosis and intuition. Woot Woot!

Namaste*
                    The soul is a veiled light. When neglected, it flickers and dies out, but when it is fed with the holy oil of love, it shines forth like an immortal lamp.

Comment

Originally posted by purplepanther
                      Which is why I asked people to define their terms - as I did - so that we wouldn't waste bandwidth trying to determine who's right or arguing over semantics. I do apologize that my response seems to have caused others to feel the need to argue my definition.
                      AkashaW

Comment

Originally posted by Theres
                        Hi, i'm Theres and i'm a hard polytheist and a witch.

however i do not consider myself a reconstructionist, although i couldn't really give you a proper label for what i do believe... possibly a 'Hellenic Classicist'?
                        but i do not see all the various god/desses as mere facets of some great deity, nor do believe in any single 'source' ('The One', 'The All', whatever) as anything more than a background canvas.

i've never been a monotheist, having come to my Pagan beliefs from an agnostic background, so the only influence monotheism has had on me is as a comparative belief system (and one that i can't really make any sense out of).

I think I am the Norse pagan version of you ^_^

I'm not stupid - I'm entertaining you

~ Reyn til Runa ~

Comment

I'm Wiccan, and I'm a polytheist. Leaning towards hard polytheism. I think there's an Essence which permeates everything, but I don't think it is personified or anything. It's more the energetic matrix upon which things manifest. Honestly I don't concern myself much with it.

For me, the Gods are all as individual as we are. And the God and Goddess of Wicca are individual Gods, among the Gods, metaphysically... obviously, to me, their place is above the others... Or perhaps nearer to me than the others is a better description... But there's none of that Gods being aspects of my God thing. Personally, I don't like that kind of theology.

Gods are *complete* individuals, too, with all sorts of layers and idiosyncracies and such.... They're just a lot bigger and can do a lot more things than I can. ^_^ They're on a different level, but they're still as individual from each other as we humans are from each other.

I really agree that the Gods aren't just "God of thunder" "God of the sea" "Goddess of love" etc... I think that kind of 2D representation is a *misrepresentation* of the way our ancestors conceived of their Gods.

Obviously, this is all my opinion. There does seem to be a trend of soft polytheism or modified monotheism in some Pagan circles, but honestly, if it works for them, then it works for them. Who am I to naysay?
                          Before you accuse someone of LYING, please read this first.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X