Feeling a little less witchy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeling a little less witchy

I haven't been as passionate about Witchcraft as I have always been. I'm starting to get tired of all the talk of magic, spell work, energy, visualization and such, and I feel that all I really want is to worship the gods. I feel like I'm going in a more reconstructionist direction because I want to worship the Gods in a more traditional way and stray away from the typical Witchcraft God-forms. I've never really been a fan of triple gods/goddess based on age (youth-adult-elder). I don't see what the maturity of a god has to do with his or her characteristics. A maiden goddess might have certain similarities with a crone goddess or a mother goddess, it doesn't really matter what their maturity level is, does it? I feel like I'm becoming a harder polytheist, recognizing lots different gods instead of archetypes that represent stages in human life.

It's really confusing, because I've been studying Feri, and I love it and relate to it well, but I just don't know about all the meditations and exercizes, and if they actually make any difference. I'm starting to think spiritual work is a bunch of crap and that worshiping our gods is the only thing that really matters and makes a difference in our lives. Casting circles, calling quarters, honouring the elements, casting spells... it all just seems imaginary. Devotion to gods is the only thing that seems real.
    Last edited by Arion; November 5th, 2006, 10:25 PM.

Its ok. I dont think its bad.

Comment

I definitely know where you're coming from. I felt the same way when I was Wiccan and felt better suited to a more reconstructionist path.

Sat Set her Djehuty, Meryt Ra her Heru-wer

My Poetry My LJ My deviantART

Comment

I don't know, I'm feeling at the opposite end of that spectrum at the moment, feeling more into it than ever. Yet at the same time, I'm branching out into different things I haven't studied before and considering new ideas. I'm in a very very scholarly period right now, and I almost don't even know what to do with all the information coming in. So I can relate to your confusion, if nothing else....
        sigpic
        My artwork is for sale!! Visit http://etsy.me/dIFblg. Support a starving artist!!!! (Please... I'm hungry!) [email protected]

Thanks to Faeawyn for my banner.

Comment

Originally posted by purplepanther
          I haven't been as passionate about Witchcraft as I have always been. I'm starting to get tired of all the talk of magic, spell work, energy, visualization and such, and I feel that all I really want is to worship the gods. I feel like I'm going in a more reconstructionist direction because I want to worship the Gods in a more traditional way and stray away from the typical Witchcraft God-forms.
          I think you're pretty close to the state I'm in at the moment. I'm in 'study mode,' mostly reading history texts, rather than doing anything stereotypically 'witchy.' That and developing a relationship with my gods. No magic, spellwork, visualization, etc, just deep trance and devotion And trying to find out how the gods were worshipped historically.

It's really confusing, because I've been studying Feri, and I love it and relate to it well, but I just don't know about all the meditations and exercizes, and if they actually make any difference. I'm starting to think spiritual work is a bunch of crap and that worshiping our gods is the only thing that really matters and makes a difference in our lives. Casting circles, calling quarters, honouring the elements, casting spells... it all just seems imaginary. Devotion to gods is the only thing that seems real.
          Not sure what you mean here... I would think devotion to the gods would be spiritual work, and the other things you list (circles, spells) would be magical work... But perhaps I'm being nit-picky I don't think all ritual and magic is meaningless, but then again I rarely perform ritual, and then only in honour of my gods or in order to reach them...

I'll stop here 'cause my brain has failed me (happens often, or perhaps I'm failing it...)

Cheers,

Semjaza
          FFFF
          "Being Nietzschean requires one to think apart from him, starting from the spot where the "work in progress" that is philosophy was transformed by his passage. He called for unfaithful disciples who, by their betrayal, would prove their loyalty. He wanted people to obey him by following themselves and no one else, not even him. Particularly not him."
          -- Michel Onfray, In Defense of Atheism

Comment

Yeah, the confusion part is no fun at all.
            Not sure what you mean here... I would think devotion to the gods would be spiritual work, and the other things you list (circles, spells) would be magical work... But perhaps I'm being nit-picky I don't think all ritual and magic is meaningless, but then again I rarely perform ritual, and then only in honour of my gods or in order to reach them...
            You're probably right, I never know what labels go with what. I was thinking that devotion to the gods would be religious work, but maybe it's the same thing. I'm just bored of the magical aspects, and I'm not sure I really believe in them. Maybe it's just a phase and I'll go back to my witchy self after a while. I'm going to keep up with the exercizes I've been doing, but at the same time look into ancient Greek religious practices, and time will tell what I decide to do.

Comment

The Occult side of The Path brings you insight into how the Universe operates. The Devotional side of the Path shows you why. I think we need both.
              "There is a Road, no simple highway,
              That leads from Dawn to the darkness of the Night.
              And if you go, no one can follow.
              That Path is for, your steps alone." : -Grateful Dead

Mental Yoga/Occult Exercises

The MysticWicks Magazine

The Gaian Dragon I Ching

The Moving Mandalas

Comment

There's nothing wrong with feeling this way.

I've never been a witch and have never regularly practiced witchcraft. My path is solely based on Goddess and honoring Her. I view all of the various Goddesses as aspects of the One Mother Goddess, which is who I worship and honor. I find that the various aspect Goddesses are important in others' paths and I can see how They are important in witchcraft, but because my personal path does not involve that I have had no need to incorporate specific Goddesses into my path.

If you're interested in taking a step back and simply getting to know your deity, I think that's great and you should go for it. Recon definitely sounds interesting.

Remember, down the road you can always turn back to witchcraft if ever you feel those energies tugging at your sleeve. I know at times even I am intrigued by the craft. One day I may give it a try myself.

Comment

Hey many people feel the way that you do. Its perfectly fine. Maybe you should just pick a God/dess and build an altar to them. Just see what happens and let them lead you. Of course you need to do your research to see what they like a book called, A Book of Pagan Prayer by Ceisiwr Serith. It has really helped me with my connection to other beings. By the way you can PM me any time.

Comment

I can understand what you mean and sometimes get those thoughts as well. It's the relationship you wish to build that's important if they don't demand more than your devotion in means other than circle work then what's the problem? You could just be evolving along your spiritual path to where you want to be and where they want you to be. There are many different ways to worship those upstairs just talk and work with them no one elses beliefs or thoughts matter
                    ~*~*~*~

"I shall not see a world that will be dear to me. Summer without flowers, Kine will be without milk, Women without modesty, Men without valour, Captures without a king, Woods without a mast, Sea without produce" The Morrighan
                    ~*~*~*~

"Take the splinters of my shattered dreams, build a casket for my tears" ~ R.I.P Dylan 30.07.09
                    Aussieland 'Druid Crafter'

Comment

I haven't been as passionate about Witchcraft as I have always been. I'm starting to get tired of all the talk of magic, spell work, energy, visualization and such, and I feel that all I really want is to worship the gods. I feel like I'm going in a more reconstructionist direction because I want to worship the Gods in a more traditional way and stray away from the typical Witchcraft God-forms. I've never really been a fan of triple gods/goddess based on age (youth-adult-elder). I don't see what the maturity of a god has to do with his or her characteristics. A maiden goddess might have certain similarities with a crone goddess or a mother goddess, it doesn't really matter what their maturity level is, does it? I feel like I'm becoming a herder polytheist, recognizing lots different gods instead of archetypes that represent stages in human life.

i agree with you 100%, that's exactly how I feel.
                      Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu
                      Meryt Aset-Serqet her Herthet-Sekhmet

Comment

Keep in mind--also--you've been doing some very strong work in the exercises. When you are about to make a breakthrough in something--it can be scary to change. So, we find a way to not make that breakthrough and discount the work we've done.

Make sure that that is not the case with you.

Elise
                        *~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Resident Beotch

It seems some folks confuse "secrets" with Mysteries.
                        The Mysteries aren't secret.
                        They are there for whoever wishes to seek them out.
                        There just aren't any shortcuts.

That's the Secret.

Don't ask Life to polish you into a jewel and then complain about all the rough treatment!

If you're talking shit behind my back - then you're close enough to kiss my ass.

Comment

Originally posted by pearls59
                          Keep in mind--also--you've been doing some very strong work in the exercises. When you are about to make a breakthrough in something--it can be scary to change. So, we find a way to not make that breakthrough and discount the work we've done.

Make sure that that is not the case with you.

Elise
                          I never thought of that, but you make a good point. I fully intend to keep up with my Feri work though, because that is where my heart really lies I think. My interest in the Greek religious system might be more of a hobby than a spiritual choice, even though I work with the Gods of ancient Greece as well as acknowledging the Feri Gods.

Feri teachings have given me a whole new wonderful perspective on life, and I don't intend to give it up. It's just hard though, not having a teacher in all this to help me integrate the parts of Greek religion that I like into my Feri practices. I'm just extremely confused... as usual, lol.

I'm probably just bored of the magical aspects because they don't really mean a lot to me personally, but just because I'm not big on the whole magical ritual, doesn't mean I should give up a whole system. At least, I don't think so.

Comment

Feri teachings have given me a whole new wonderful perspective on life, and I don't intend to give it up. It's just hard though, not having a teacher in all this to help me integrate the parts of Greek religion that I like into my Feri practices. I'm just extremely confused... as usual, lol.
                            Of course, you have a Teacher in this... perhaps the best Teacher, other than the Universe itself. The Soul always Guides us to the things we need to learn, and returns us to things we've studied before, in order to pick up where we left off. Nothing is ever wasted or lost. The Soul resides in Eternity, and while the Ego is mortal, each of us holds a Divine Treasure within.

Devotional Practices show us the Universe outside of our mortal Egos. That is quite Liberating, because we are all much more than we generally imagine. Occult Practices open up the channels of Divine energies, so that the Universe can work through us. This is why we need both sides of the Equation. One shows us the what of the Universe, and the other shows us how. Taken together, Contemplation & Implementation lead to Realization.
                            "There is a Road, no simple highway,
                            That leads from Dawn to the darkness of the Night.
                            And if you go, no one can follow.
                            That Path is for, your steps alone." : -Grateful Dead

Mental Yoga/Occult Exercises

The MysticWicks Magazine

The Gaian Dragon I Ching

The Moving Mandalas

Comment

Originally posted by jcldragon
                              Of course, you have a Teacher in this... perhaps the best Teacher, other than the Universe itself. The Soul always Guides us to the things we need to learn, and returns us to things we've studied before, in order to pick up where we left off. Nothing is ever wasted or lost. The Soul resides in Eternity, and while the Ego is mortal, each of us holds a Divine Treasure within.

Devotional Practices show us the Universe outside of our mortal Egos. That is quite Liberating, because we are all much more than we generally imagine. Occult Practices open up the channels of Divine energies, so that the Universe can work through us. This is why we need both sides of the Equation. One shows us the what of the Universe, and the other shows us how. Taken together, Contemplation & Implementation lead to Realization.
                              Very true jcldragon. I guess I should just stop worrying about what label I fit under and let the Universe take me where it will.

Actually, I'm feeling a bit differently now. I realized again what a deep sense of spirituality Feri has, and lately I've been needing that spiritual outlet. I still don't know about spells and magical stuff like that, but the Witchcraft path is worth it because of the spiritual aspects of it, especially Feri. For me anyway. I was reading through some of the exercizes and I remembered the progress I've made because of them. Sometimes I forget these things.

It was Greek reconstructionism I was looking into, and it looks like a beautiful practice, but it doesn't really suit me ethically. Especially since some of the cardinal virtues are exactly the same as what we studied in my Catholic theology class last year in school (Prudence, Temperence, Fortitude, and Justice), not to mention trying to achieve "the good." Exactly like Catholicism, ick. That comes from Stoicism, I believe, so its not originally Catholic (... then again, what is? )

i still lean more towards Greek gods than the traditional god and goddess trinities, but that's not a big deal i don't think.

Comment

Working...
                              X