Hereditary Witches?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hereditary Witches?

I have recently come across the term Hereditary Witch, and after having looked it up I'm still a bit confused.

Obviously it means that the "witch" comes from a family of "witches", but in every definition I've found it says that it is always passed on mother-daughter.

Well, I have three great aunts (That's right, right? The sisters of my grandmother) who were as the town describes "witches" and were often seen doing.. tricky things, I guess (my mom is from backwater virgina, so it's possible there's no truth to it) my question is does that make ME a hereditary witch, or not? Furthermore, what is the actual definition of hereditary witch?
    "We may not be as strong. But we're more fabulous. We will take over." -- The Thrill

"You need to have better sex."
    "You need to have better watermelon!"
    Rita and I

yes to be pricise its your "bloodline" mine comes through my Grandmother on my Dads side not all generations choose to carry on the work .. so yes you would be considered a Hereditry witch
    Being powerful is like being a lady If you have to tell people you are, you aren't

Advanced Paganism, Meditation
    and Books Forum Guide
    and also a writer for MW Magazine

Serenity is not freedom from the storm..it is peace during the storm

:fpraise: many thanks to Patriciaj for great banner

Its your life..live it as you like

myspace.com/Mydnitejazmine

my covens site
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/archaic_silvermoon/

Comment

I agree, it is not about gender, its about family tradition. My family does go mother to daughter for at least 5 generations, but why not mother to son or father to son/daughter?
      Mitakuye Oyasin

Comment

"Hereditary witch" is based upon beliefs, not upon biology.
        Xentor, your friendly-neighbourhood Checkerist
        Contact me | The Dialogues on Checkerism

Comment

If so then is there something different about "hereditary witches" than normal ones or is it just a point of view?
          "We may not be as strong. But we're more fabulous. We will take over." -- The Thrill

"You need to have better sex."
          "You need to have better watermelon!"
          Rita and I

Comment

Yes, the difference between hereditary and not hereditary is the mother-daughter lineage. This is not a point-of-view difference, but a matter of religious conviction.
            Xentor, your friendly-neighbourhood Checkerist
            Contact me | The Dialogues on Checkerism

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_Your_Boy
              Obviously it means that the "witch" comes from a family of "witches", but in every definition I've found it says that it is always passed on mother-daughter.
              While most of the older material mentions Witchcraft being passed from "mother-daughter" there are actually references to males carrying "witch blood" as well. One 19th century folklorist to note this was Charles Leland who mentions two men from a Witch family.

Francesco Guazzo, in his 17th century writings, notes that both men and women are Witches, and addresses that Witchcraft is passed through family lines.

Originally posted by Forever_Your_Boy
              my question is does that make ME a hereditary witch, or not? Furthermore, what is the actual definition of hereditary witch?
              By the strictest definition, yes, but it should be noted that not everyone born into Witch lineage becomes a practicing Witch. So there is some room for debate as to whether birth alone makes one a Witch. For example, if a woman is born with Witch blood but grows up to be a devout Catholic Nun, is she a Witch?
              There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy...(from Hamlet).

Comment

The gene combination that allows people to enter into Magickal workings, is pretty well distributed throughout the entire human species. More significant would be what is psychologically passed onto new generations as family dynamics. People with Wisdom tend to pass that onto their children & grandchildren through association.

The Material World is the EFFECT of things going on in the Higher Planes. The appearance of solidity in matter is generated by the flow of fields of energy. Causality is generated according to whatever our Consciousness decides to relate to, and how Consciousness chooses to relate. The Soul does not assume control of a new body before the moment of birth. Thus, we incarnate into situations & conditions that match our Karma, and what we intend to do during an incarnation. It is upon the Spiritual Plane that all real decisions are made. The appearance of Causality as something occuring on the Material Plane, is merely that : an appearance, which is the basic Illusion of this World of Maya.
                "There is a Road, no simple highway,
                That leads from Dawn to the darkness of the Night.
                And if you go, no one can follow.
                That Path is for, your steps alone." : -Grateful Dead

Mental Yoga/Occult Exercises

The MysticWicks Magazine

The Gaian Dragon I Ching

The Moving Mandalas

Comment

You can be. There are those that say it is only a mother/daughter thing but I disagree. Look at it this way if that were so it would imply that only the female gender is able to use the older forms of witchcraft which simply isn't so. I've heard stories of male cousins and such that could do the same thing as the women. I have only a few male cousins because for some weird reason my family is overwhelmingly female. But one of my cousins had a son about a year ago and while it is to soon to tell I think he might be one of those with the talent to use magic well and he is a male, so there goes that theory.
                  As I was walking all alane, I heard twa corbies making a mane, the tane unto the nither did day, What sall we gang and dine the day?

Comment

Originally posted by Xentor
                    "Hereditary witch" is based upon beliefs, not upon biology.

And beliefs are based upon choices. Just because someone comes from a family of witches doesn't automatically make them a hereditary witch. That person must choose to not just learn but absorb into their heart and practice as a lifestyle being a witch... only then should they consider themselves a witch.

Comment

I read someplace on here that true witches only come from herditary witches? So how did the FIRST witch become one??

Comment

Originally posted by omar
                        I read someplace on here that true witches only come from herditary witches? So how did the FIRST witch become one??
                        I cannot help you with the first part of your statement as I do not recall seeing anyone post the position to which you refer. And, personally I certainly do not feel that only hereditary Witches are "true" Witches.

As to the question about how the first Witch came about, I can only pass on what my teachers told me when I asked the same question many years ago. So, here it is:

In early tribal human life, there were certain individuals who were different from the others, more attuned to the spirit realms than to the mortal realm. These are the ancestors of what came to be the Medicine Man or Medicine Woman of the American Indian tribes, and the Witch or shaman of the European tribes.

Over the course of time these individuals were spirit taught and learned the alignments that eventually passed certain powers and abilities to them from the Otherworld. This was a form of initiation, and the charge flowed and circulated within the blood. Once they were passed the power they were then able to teach others and pass the gift to them. These were the first Witches. Or, so the story goes.
                        There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy...(from Hamlet).

Comment

Hereditary Witch

Yes, gender doesn't matter, you are an hereditary witch if you choose that path.

I found out my great-great grandmother (probably went back further, but I know up to that point) was Strega (Italian Witch). Somewhere between great-grandmother and grandmother they chose to follow the Catholic religion and the Book of Shadows went missing. They still did spells that they memorized, but followed the Catholic religion. I thought this very interesting since I found out about three years after I had chosen the
                          Wiccan path. Maybe there is a Witch Gene.
                          My light shall be the moon, And my path - the ocean, My guide the Morning Star, As I sail home to you - Enya

Comment

so are hereditary witches generally more powerful because it has been passed down through generations?
                            Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

sigpic

Comment

And does it even have to be identified as witchcraft. My mother is a conservative Christian who rejects the practice of witchcraft as the work of the devil leading people astray. However she has considerable psychic and spiritual powers in her own right that she considers exclusively the manifistations of the Holy Spirit. For example, healing by laying of hands, prophesy, spiritual protection and banishment for herself and for others, and speaking in tounges to name a few.

Comment

Working...
                              X