the phrase "The Craft"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the phrase "The Craft"

for those of you that use it, what are you referring to when you say it?

(I mean how do you use it personally, don't need an explaination of the phrase itself.)
    Memories of Pain and Light
    http://painandlight.wordpress.com/

Simple acts of devotion will never suffice.
    You, I cannot worship by halves.

Hellenic Web Forum- http://forum.hellenistai.com

Good question. I think that when I use the term I am refering to all forms of Witchcraft including Wicca. when I say my Craft I am referring to my personal path only. i will have to see if that is what I realy do, but this is what comes to mind when i think about the term Craft.
    All opinions and views expressed in this post are soly those of
    Desert Witch
    and do not reflect those of his Wife, Children, Friends and Family, or arguably, any sane individual. READER DISCRETION is advised.:deviltail

Men should be judged, not by their tint of skin, the Gods they serve, the vintage that they drink, nor by the way they fight, or love, or sin. but by the quality of thought they think.

Laurence Hope

"Studies have clearly shown that repeated posting of bullshit does not result in any significant reduction in the level of bullshit contained in the information posted. "

NiftyWings

Comment

Originally posted by Fiamma View Post
      for those of you that use it, what are you referring to when you say it?
      The movie ...

Seriously though, I really don't use that term in reference to magick and witchcraft. I can see it being used in reference to spells & rituals, but I generally avoid it and refer to my practices as rituals or beliefs.

Comment

Actually, the only time I do use that term is in reference to the movie.:hahugh:

I don't use it any other time as far as I recall.

Now accepting tarot reading requests.Click here for more information.

Comment

I avoid the words "craft & witch" because they both cause the Christians to freak out & look at you like your crazy.

Comment

"The Craft" -> The occult.

Everyone's craft is different (but of course mine is the bestest of all the restest), so I can't see any use for it other than as a widespread conglomeration of magical, natural, supernatural and other phenomena and practices.

Comment

I use it in terms of my hobby which is community theatre.

Me and some of my like minded different beliefs friends write direct act in and produce plays on every level in this small town.

for awhile we called it punk rock theatre because in this twon we charged $5 for seats that would get $20 or more dollars for any other show.Unless it was a punk concert which also cost $5.

we hold the dubious honor of having a gay couple walk out of a pro-gay play for being too prejudiced. the straight hate reviews came from those that stayed till the end of the play and saw what the play actually was.

anyways a bit long but yeah. when I use the term the craft I mean theatre.

Comment

IMO, "the craft" tends to be a short hand version of witchcraft and it may sound a lot "nicer" to other people.
                Facebook::Witch blog::Book Blog
                Gods and Goddesses, Paths: Dianic & Goddess Witchcraft, Theology & Philosophy, Just Current Events, and Political Pagan Forum Guide.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha

Question everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Aidron View Post
                  "The Craft" -> The occult.
                  Everyone's craft is different...so I can't see any use for it other than as a widespread conglomeration of magical, natural, supernatural and other phenomena and practices.
                  Yeah, that's how I use it.
                  "put the pick in there Pete and turn it round real neat"

Comment

I believe I read somewhere that the original usage of the phrase was by Masons. In general usage, it tends to refer to any kind of practice, specifically occult practices in particular.
                    ~Morgan

"Witchcraft does not need to apologize for involving sex magic. It is other religions which need to apologize for the miseries of puritanical repression they have inflicted on humanity." - Doreen Valiente, Witchcraft For Tomorrow (1978)

Comment

The term "craft" as power and ability, and particularly associated with the supernatural, far predate the Masons.
                      I Fight The Backlash and Put It In Its Place!

"There was an old ideal, "The truth shall prevail." But the modern ideal seems to be, "See that the truth shall be unknown, so that it may not prevail."" -- Gerald Gardner, The Meaning of Witchcraft

Comment

Originally posted by Carla O'Harris View Post
                        The term "craft" as power and ability, and particularly associated with the supernatural, far predate the Masons.
                        What I meant was the use of the phrase "The Craft." There's a difference. And thanks for all of those helpful references you provided to back up your blanket statement.:fpraise:
                        ~Morgan

"Witchcraft does not need to apologize for involving sex magic. It is other religions which need to apologize for the miseries of puritanical repression they have inflicted on humanity." - Doreen Valiente, Witchcraft For Tomorrow (1978)

Comment

I've said 10,000 times that I am not going to do everyone's homework for them! Let me tell you something. I have done a great deal of reading in very reputable sources, and I don't have time to footnote everything I say.

http://lexicon.ff.cuni.cz/html/oe_bo...ler/b0168.html

CRئFT, es; m. ...III. craft of mind, cunning, knowledge, science, talent, ability, faculty, excellence, virtue ... Chauc. craft: Laym. crوft, craft: Orm. crafft: Plat, kraft, kracht: O. Sax. kraft, m. and f: Frs. O. Frs. kreft: Dut. kracht, f: Kil. kracht: Ger. M. H. Ger. O. H. Ger. kraft, f: Dan. kraft, m. f: Swed. kraft, m: Icel. kraptr, kraftr, m.] DER. aclو-acute;c-crوft, و-acute;-, لtor-, beadu-, bealo-, bَc-, deَfol-, dreلm-, dr‎-, dwol-, ellen-, firen-, flيter-, galdor-, gleَ-, gْ‏-, hell-, hyge-, lو-acute;ce-, lلr-, leornung-, leَ‏-, leoًo-, leًَu-, mَd-, mor‏or-, nearo-, ofer-, rيm-, sang-, sceَp-, scيn-, scip-, scَp-, searo-, snytro-, stوf-, sundor-, swinsung-, tungel-, tungol-, un-, wوl-, wic-, wicce-, wيg-, word-, woruld-, wَ‏-, wundor-.
                          http://www.northvegr.org/vigfusson/354.php

kraptr or kraftr, ... might, strength, or power ... krafta-verk...'power-work', a miracle ... powers, supernatural, whence krapta-skald, a 'power-skald
                          , a poet whose song has a magical power...
                          There's a few for you. You do the rest.
                          I Fight The Backlash and Put It In Its Place!

"There was an old ideal, "The truth shall prevail." But the modern ideal seems to be, "See that the truth shall be unknown, so that it may not prevail."" -- Gerald Gardner, The Meaning of Witchcraft

Comment

Originally posted by Carla O'Harris View Post
                            I've said 10,000 times that I am not going to do everyone's homework for them! Let me tell you something. I have done a great deal of reading in very reputable sources, and I don't have time to footnote everything I say.

http://lexicon.ff.cuni.cz/html/oe_bo...ler/b0168.html

http://www.northvegr.org/vigfusson/354.php

There's a few for you. You do the rest.
                            You still don't see the difference between the word craft and the phrase "The Craft."
                            ~Morgan

Comment

Originally posted by morganxpage View Post
                              What I meant was the use of the phrase "The Craft." There's a difference. And thanks for all of those helpful references you provided to back up your blanket statement.:fpraise:

Carla used the exact same number of references in her post as you did in yours to which she was responding. I went back and counted. So what was meant by"your blanket statement" exatly?
                              Last edited by Desert_Witch; January 3rd, 2007, 06:22 AM. Reason: clarification
                              All opinions and views expressed in this post are soly those of
                              Desert Witch
                              and do not reflect those of his Wife, Children, Friends and Family, or arguably, any sane individual. READER DISCRETION is advised.:deviltail

Men should be judged, not by their tint of skin, the Gods they serve, the vintage that they drink, nor by the way they fight, or love, or sin. but by the quality of thought they think.

Laurence Hope

"Studies have clearly shown that repeated posting of bullshit does not result in any significant reduction in the level of bullshit contained in the information posted. "

NiftyWings

Comment

Working...
                              X