No announcement yet.

the phrase "The Craft"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use it when refering to my personal creations. I am an artist and designer, and have refered to my ceramic art as "my craft".

I know that's not what you're looking for. I don't use the term "the craft" because to me it means magic, and I don't do magic.

Comment

Originally posted by bshore View Post
      I use it when refering to my personal creations. I am an artist and designer, and have refered to my ceramic art as "my craft".

I know that's not what you're looking for. I don't use the term "the craft" because to me it means magic, and I don't do magic.
      I didn't post earlier because it said, "for those of you that use it..." But I do use it in a similar context that bshore does. As in hobbies or crafts. That is the only time. However, I do magic, but the term generally makes me think of Wicca and I am not Wiccan, so I don't use the term.

Comment

Witchcraft, "the craft", when I use the term I'm refering to magick rites.
        "We are such stuff as dreams are made on. . . "
        The Tempest-IV

"I believe in the fundamental truth of all great religions of the world. I believe that they are all God-given and I believe that they were necessary for the people to whom these religions were revealed. And I believe that if only we could all of us read the scriptures of the different faiths from the standpoints of the followers of these faiths, we should find that they were at bottom all one and were all helpful to one another. "
        Mahatma Gandhi

"...for I believe that which is sacred does not care by which name it is called."
        Gwynneve

“Stand at the crossroads and look
        Ask for the ancient paths
        Ask where the good way is
        And walk in it."
        Jeremiah 6:16

"What makes a religion false? If any religion is right, then maybe they all have to be right. Maybe God doesn't care how you say your prayers, just as long as you say them."
        Jeffrey Sinclair

:banallama:

Comment

if I use the phrase "the craft", I'm usually referring to witchcraft -- and by that I mean folk magic or herbalistic practices, not necessarily associated with any religion.
          little zombies by p. robertson
          i was by zetta

Comment

Originally posted by zombi View Post
            if I use the phrase "the craft", I'm usually referring to witchcraft -- and by that I mean folk magic or herbalistic practices, not necessarily associated with any religion.
            Diddo.. now I have used "my craft", which refers to my goddess art dolls that I make.

Comment

Originally posted by morganxpage View Post
              I believe I read somewhere that the original usage of the phrase was by Masons. In general usage, it tends to refer to any kind of practice, specifically occult practices in particular.
              Hutton, in Triumph of the Moon (excellent book IMO; he cites references) attributes the phrase "the craft" to the Masons. I was pretty amazed when I read that book just how much of Gardner's Wicca was straight out of Freemasonry and its many derivatives.

Comment

Well...

For me, it ususally depends on the context in which it is used.

"The Craft" can refer to:

Any magickal practice (including wish-magick on birthday cakes! ^_^)

Any art or "craft" that requires skill and that can be utilized as a worship of life and deity (painting/drawing/theatre/dance/etc)

The magickal practice of Pagans and Neo-Pagans

The movie ^_^.
                Audentes fortuna iuvat...

Comment

Working...
                X