Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Witchcraft....really?

Hey everyone,

I have read many websites and even a few books that have a very broad definition of witchcraft. Many peolpe classify practices such as Seidhr, Hoodoo, Rootwork, Galdr, Streghoneria and other practices as witchcraft. Do you feel that such practices can be labeled as such? Do you personally refer to these practices a form of witchcraft? Why or why not?
    Last edited by Sage Rainsong; February 5th, 2007, 07:51 PM.

I personally feel that if you practice something that allows you to have an impact on reality that involves your own personal will and has elements of calling on higher powers to help carry out your will, which those do, then it's a form of witchcraft.

Comment

Hmm, it's a good question. I tend to think of it this way, it can be classed (in that it is all magical use) as Witchcraft in a general sense. BUT all of these traditions and religions are different and cannot and should not be generalized as a 'path' of witchcraft.

असतोमा सद्गमय। तमसोमा ज्योतिर् गमया।
      मृत्योर्मामृतं गमय॥
      ॐ Om Asatoma Sadgamaya, Tamasoma Jyoti Gamaya, Mrityoma Amritam Gamaya ॐ

Comment

I don't think I know enough about all the paths you mention (and the many that you don't) to judge them specifically, but I think my definition of Witchcraft would indeed be quite broad.

In general I would say that any system based on knowledge and/or lore which enables the practicioner to transmute will into reality could be descibed as Witchcraft...

Hmm... I have to admit that as I am writing this, the boundries between practicing magic and Witchcraft seem a bit blurred. I will have to go away and think some more. I'm interested in what others have to say.
        😈 "It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful." Anton LaVey 😈

Comment

I also cannot say I know all of those practices and paths well enough to say. I can say I consider Witchcraft to be "low magic" - ie. that magic focused on the material world and physical change. Your mileage may vary.
          Om Namah Shivaya.

"Im finding seeking the sacred, well, that its rather like falling in love, the harder you seek it, the less likely it is to happen." - Brightshores

"When your consciousness is directed outward, mind and world arise. When it is directed inward, it realizes its own Source and returns home into the Unmanifested." ~ Eckhart Tolle

Comment

Cool topic, personally, i think those paths could, in a general sense, be considered witchcraft, as in just the use of magic, but i think a lot of those paths you mentioned and others, when understood, the word witchcraft probably doesn't describe them that well.

For example, Stregoneria is, from what i understand, practiced by Catholics, and to call them witches would probably be an insult to them, although, i think the Stregheria(sp?) of Raven Grimassi, etc would be witchcraft (or the Italian equivalent as there are some who consider witchcraft only referring to the mystical aspects of the Teutonic religion).

I've never really thought of Hoodoo as witchcraft, but then i don't know much about it, i've always thought it was more folk magic, or just Hoodoo.

Seidr and Galdr, from what i've read, refer are either shamanic (seidr) or work with the runes, i'm not sure if Heathens consider them witchcraft (maybe some Heathens could comment?).

Again, i think it really depends, of what context you're using it in, if you mean a general use of magic, then they are witchcraft, but to the practicioners of those and other paths, it might not be witchcraft (and in the case of Catholics who practicer Stregoneria, it may be an insult to them).

Comment

Originally posted by Sage Rainsong View Post
              Hey everyone,
              I have read many websites and even a few books that have a very broad definition of witchcraft. Many peolpe classify practices such as Seidhr, Hoodoo, Rootwork, Galdr, Streghoneria and other practices as witchcraft. Do you feel that such practices can be labeled as such?
              I don't know these paths well enough nor do I practice them. However I think it'd be pretty much up to the individual on how they would like to be perceived and if they feel comfortable being labeled as such.

Do you personally refer to these practices a form of witchcraft? Why or why not?
              I don't view them as anything because I don't know them well enough to have an opinion.
              Facebook::Witch blog::Book Blog
              Gods and Goddesses, Paths: Dianic & Goddess Witchcraft, Theology & Philosophy, Just Current Events, and Political Pagan Forum Guide.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha

Question everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Sage Rainsong
                Do you feel that such practices can be labeled as such?
                I only feel comfortable talking about stregoneria. And I would have to say yes, that I believe some of their practices could be labled as witchcraft in a very general or broad way. I feel a more appropriate term would be "folk magic" though.

Originally posted by Sage Rainsong
                Do you personally refer to these practices a form of witchcraft? Why or why not?
                I do refer to stregoneria as a form of witchcraft, because a few of the people that I know that practice it refer to it as such. However, others that I know, do not. I do not practice stregoneria, but I have been learning much about it for a while now.

I feel that stregoneria is the practice of folk magic, but sometimes can be considered a witchcraft path as well as there are those who practice it that consider themselves witches. I feel the latter is due to the fact that they also follow a pagan path.

However, I know that some practitioners would never consider themselves as witches and would scoff at that term being applied to them because they do not follow a pagan path, but they do practice what I personally consider to be witchcraft.
                Last edited by Xirian; February 5th, 2007, 09:11 PM.

Comment

I don't view them as anything because I don't know them well enough to have an opinion.
                  I also cannot say I know all of those practices and paths well enough to say.
                  I am sorry. I should have been more clear. I am not nessesarily talking about thoes specific practices but I was speaking in more of a general sense. Do you call practices witchcraft, even if they have other names for their specific practices.

Comment

in otherwords do we generalise the names?

Comment

I am sorry. I should have been more clear. I am not nessesarily talking about thoes specific practices but I was speaking in more of a general sense. Do you call practices witchcraft, even if they have other names for their specific practices.
                      No, I try to call the practice what the people who practice it call it. What they might think is Witchcraft and what I think is Witchcraft might be completely different.

Comment

in otherwords do we generalise the names?
                        Yes but I don't mean that in a bad way. Some people seem to have a general definition of witchcraft and seem to equate it with magic. For example some people refer to say.... hoodoo as a form of african derived witchcraft. Did that help?

Comment

In that case, no. Unless, of course, they've explained to me that they do. Otherwise, I consider it disrespectful to put a word on a practice that the practitioners don't like.
                          Facebook::Witch blog::Book Blog
                          Gods and Goddesses, Paths: Dianic & Goddess Witchcraft, Theology & Philosophy, Just Current Events, and Political Pagan Forum Guide.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha

Question everything.

Comment

No, I try to call the practice what the people who practice it call it. What they might think is Witchcraft and what I think is Witchcraft might be completely different.
                            Thats true but what about the terms that you use in your own head?

Comment

Originally posted by David19 View Post
                              For example, Stregoneria is, from what i understand, practiced by Catholics, and to call them witches would probably be an insult to them, although, i think the Stregheria(sp?) of Raven Grimassi, etc would be witchcraft (or the Italian equivalent as there are some who consider witchcraft only referring to the mystical aspects of the Teutonic religion).
                              I do not think it is accurate to say that "Stregoneria" is practiced by Catholics. However, it is accurate to say that Stregoneria contains many Catholic elements. Stregheria is something different from Stregoneria. Stregheria is an older tradition and is rooted in pre-Christian European paganism. Stregoneria is a form of Witchcraft as a strictly magical system, and Italian Folk Magic is a Catholic-based form of sorcery. So in essence we are talking about three different systems (related though they may be).

This link may help: http://www.stregheria.com/what.htm

Originally posted by David19 View Post
                              Again, i think it really depends, of what context you're using it in, if you mean a general use of magic, then they are witchcraft, but to the practicioners of those and other paths, it might not be witchcraft (and in the case of Catholics who practicer Stregoneria, it may be an insult to them).
                              To call an authentic practitioner of Italian Folk Magic a Witch would be offensive. But to call someone who practices authentic Stregoneria a Witch would not offend them. However, for clarity, in Italy the word Stregoneria is used to indicate negative magic, and so we are looking at the evil stereotype. This is one of the reasons why I reclaimed the older and non-Christianized word Stregheria to indicate Italian Witchcraft (in its non-Christianized form).

Ironically there are some practitioners of Catholic-based Folk Magic here in the U.S. who call themselves Witches. This is not something you will find to be the case in Italy because in Italian culture this is insulting to authentic Folk Magic practitioners. Professor Sabina Magliocco, in her article Spells, Saints, and Streghe: Witchcraft, Folk Magic, and Healing in Italy (Pomegranate Magazine) says this about disregarding the Christian elements of Italian Folk Magic:,

"But the difficulty with interpreting this practice only as a survival is that it does violence to the way practitioners perceive themselves. It is important to remember that practitioners think of themselves as Catholic."

In other words she is suggesting that to equate Stregoneria with Italian Folk Magic is to commit cultural violence against the Italians. This is another reason to distinguish between Stregoneria and Stregheria.
                              There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy...(from Hamlet).

Comment

Working...
                              X