No announcement yet.

Eclectic Witchcraft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Magically, I am definantly eclectic, as I will take what works and use it, religiously, while I think the Sumerian one is for me, I wouldn't mix and match, that said, I do hold some personal spiritual beliefs that probably weren't a part of the religion like I'm also an animist, I believe everything has some kind of spirit and/or god in it, everything in nature is alive to me (and I don't just mean trees, stones, mountains, etc, I also mean cities, things that aren't defined as "natural" such as plastic, and concepts, etc).

Comment

I'm eclectic in my Witchcraft, not as much with religious devotion, but to a degree I am. I don't tend to wrap my Witchcraft into the religious aspect of my life any more than it is intrinsically so.
      sigpic

The Gods are not our masters, nor are we their slaves...
      ...rather, we are all allies.

Comment

Absolutley, I'm eclectic. Although I do, because it's the path I identify the MOST with, call myself a Christian Witch.
        "We are such stuff as dreams are made on. . . "
        The Tempest-IV

"I believe in the fundamental truth of all great religions of the world. I believe that they are all God-given and I believe that they were necessary for the people to whom these religions were revealed. And I believe that if only we could all of us read the scriptures of the different faiths from the standpoints of the followers of these faiths, we should find that they were at bottom all one and were all helpful to one another. "
        Mahatma Gandhi

"...for I believe that which is sacred does not care by which name it is called."
        Gwynneve

“Stand at the crossroads and look
        Ask for the ancient paths
        Ask where the good way is
        And walk in it."
        Jeremiah 6:16

"What makes a religion false? If any religion is right, then maybe they all have to be right. Maybe God doesn't care how you say your prayers, just as long as you say them."
        Jeffrey Sinclair

:banallama:

Comment

I'm a Witch and eclectic at that, so yes, there are others here too
          ~Free Your Mind~

)O( Blessings One & All )O(

***Knowledge really is Power***- Francis Bacon (1561 - 1626)

***Magic, madam, is like wine and, if you are not used to it, it will make you drunk*** - Susanna Clarke The Ladies of Grace Adieu

***Magick Works in Mysterious Ways*** - Me

Comment

I have my eclectic moments. I generally stay within the Wiccan format, however, when it comes to witchcraft, and with Kemetic deities. Occasionally Greek.

I used to be very eclectic, but that was before I sort of discovered my way.

Comment

You know I think if people really looked at the core scripts of how, when, where and how to in what degree thier religous practices called for they would find even the most dogmatic of us is really eclectic. Yes, I think many try to hold to an established construct within which we work as based upon some criteria but I bet most do not go word for word and page for page.

I think it is simply how we define eclectic that causes the arguements, not that we are eclectic.

I suppose one could say I am an Eclectic Green Witchcraft / Shamantic practioner with strong Shamanistic overtures and influences built upon a structured Family Folk Tradition and Italian Folk - Stregian Family tradition.

I am unique to myself in the practice and structure of my spiritual and religious beliefs and the implimentation of them in my daily life.

Comment

I wonder if anyone ever self-identifies as an eclectic Christian or eclectic Jew or eclectic Muslim. Maybe they wouldn't say it that way but I know a lot of Christians, some of them Roman Catholic, who take from their religious doctrine what they find makes sense to them and let the rest go. It makes sense to me. I have a friend who is intelligent, aware and involved and a practicing Catholic. She doesn't believe in transubstantiation, the virgin birth, or the exclusivity of male priests. I asked her why she was still a Catholic and she said there's a lot there that means something to her and she wasn't going top throw the baby out with the bath water. My friend is a former nun and now works with local social justice organizations. I totally respect her.

Comment

so from reading this thread...

...it sounds as tho most of those that responded are eclectic !
                  I'm an eclectic pagan witch whose looking deeper into some
                  candle magick. Herbs and stones, crystals and gems are a part of
                  healing I like also but since I fell off the horse I have a hard
                  time remembering of concentrating for very long. My mind just
                  switches channels when it wants to and don't tell me !
                  Gemtle Rainbow Light
                  MsMolli
                  "Books contain words;
                  trees contain energies and wisdom
                  books never dreamt of." author unknown
                  sigpic

Comment

I am an eclectic witch i mostly follow the wiccan path but i am not inaugurated in a coven. And i write most rituals myself or if i really dont have the time or the inspiration i use one from the wiccan path.
                    Click and save the dragons

Comment

I'm not a witch, but I would never look down on anyone practicing with an eclectic approach.

I think it's honest, and as long as it is done respectfully, there should be no issues.

I think that sometimes eclecticism is mistaken for not educated and fluffy - and nothing could be further from the truth.
                      "The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common:
                      instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
                      which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that need altering."

Comment

it seems to me that each witch (we are talking witchcraft and not religion...yes?) is unique and therefore eclectic by default.

Comment

Originally posted by *oonagh* View Post
                          it seems to me that each witch (we are talking witchcraft and not religion...yes?) is unique and therefore eclectic by default.
                          Well that's certainly my position. I practice witchcraft as a hodgepodge of whatever works from whatever culture. But I've been talking to a friend involved in the current implosion of the BTW and he's really struggling with the idea of being "eclectic" vs. being part of a tradition. He speaks of being "eclectic" as a wholly separate thing from his 20+ years of being in BTW.

And yes AFAI am concerned "witchcraft" is completely separate from Wicca of any sort. I consider myself an agnostic and although I received Alexandrian training, I am not Wiccan.
                          Yes?

Comment

Originally posted by talamh View Post
                            I wonder if anyone ever self-identifies as an eclectic Christian or eclectic Jew or eclectic Muslim.
                            My mother was an eclectic Christian and may have even called herself that and my stepmother is an eclectic Jew and would almost certainly use that term.
                            Yes?

Comment

Originally posted by Nafiala View Post
                              I am an eclectic witch i mostly follow the wiccan path but i am not inaugurated in a coven. And i write most rituals myself or if i really dont have the time or the inspiration i use one from the wiccan path.
                              I'm proud to say I have been a witch for 17 years and have never been formally initiated. :uhhuhuh:
                              Yes?

Comment

In my craft I am very eclectic, I am mainly self-taught and have picked up many bits of lore and work from many places. I mainly prefer old folk type crafting. I think I must have been a magpie in previous life :D Religiously I am not very eclectic. I follow who I do but I also acknowledge other Gods/Goddesses as quite real.

Comment

Working...
                                X