X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Astucity
    replied
    My humble opinion.

As far as I am concerned, every religious path has been man made. Very few religions exist that remotely resemble those that were practiced since prerecorded history or even survived the mass conversion that happened in so many, many places.

With that said, since we know that "sticking to the old ways" is sort of .. not happening anywhere inside of paganism for the most part (there are exceptions, Vodou being one) then we should all agree that some man/woman studied a bit, but based their religion around their own opinion and got a couple people to agree. Does that make them wrong? No.

It doesn't make an eclectic wrong either, though.

Leave a comment:

• LittleAcorns
    replied
    I don't consider myself an eclectic witch, just a green witch. Although I am drawn to and inspired by Druidry.

Leave a comment:

• brandonc1981
    replied
    Originally posted by hikarilove View Post
    I agree, Autumn-Forest. After much soul searching, I've found that there is no one religion that is right for me. Instead, I find wisdom, peace, and empowerment by learning from various paths.
    That's like me. I couldn't either so if I had to call it something now i'd say Eclectic Pagan Witch. lol

Leave a comment:

• WildThing
    replied
    I'm an eclectic pagan & witch. =)
    Been for nearly four years now...and it's always interesting.

Leave a comment:

• amidalen
    replied
    I am eclectic as I have found that every path that I have looked into has something missing for me. I found the 'eclectic pagan that is also a witch' path to be the best for me.

Leave a comment:

• SpiritCaller
    replied
    In my "humble" opinion, every path is somewhat eclectic due to the fact that each individual brings something unique to their path, whether they are taught formally by others or self-taught. No two witches/pagans (or even Christians) believe the exact same way, and even if they are entirely devoted to one pantheon or form of magic, they add their own flair however small it may be.

So, each individual is a bit eclectic since no two individuals are exactly alike.

Leave a comment:

• David19
    replied
    Originally posted by Twinkle View Post
    I'm not a witch, but I would never look down on anyone practicing with an eclectic approach.

I think it's honest, and as long as it is done respectfully, there should be no issues.

I think that sometimes eclecticism is mistaken for not educated and fluffy - and nothing could be further from the truth.
    QFT, and I definitely agree, eclecticism does not = fluffy or uneducated, it means finding inspiration in multiple religions and paths, and drawing inspiration from them, to create something new, something person for yourself. That's probably a lot closer to what I do.

Leave a comment:

• Philosophia
    replied
    Originally posted by Twinkle View Post
    I'm not a witch, but I would never look down on anyone practicing with an eclectic approach.

I think it's honest, and as long as it is done respectfully, there should be no issues.

I think that sometimes eclecticism is mistaken for not educated and fluffy - and nothing could be further from the truth.

Leave a comment:

• Ravens Call
    replied
    In my craft I am very eclectic, I am mainly self-taught and have picked up many bits of lore and work from many places. I mainly prefer old folk type crafting. I think I must have been a magpie in previous life :D Religiously I am not very eclectic. I follow who I do but I also acknowledge other Gods/Goddesses as quite real.

Leave a comment:

• roguetamlin
    replied
    Originally posted by Nafiala View Post
    I am an eclectic witch i mostly follow the wiccan path but i am not inaugurated in a coven. And i write most rituals myself or if i really dont have the time or the inspiration i use one from the wiccan path.
    I'm proud to say I have been a witch for 17 years and have never been formally initiated. :uhhuhuh:

Leave a comment:

• roguetamlin
    replied
    Originally posted by talamh View Post
    I wonder if anyone ever self-identifies as an eclectic Christian or eclectic Jew or eclectic Muslim.
    My mother was an eclectic Christian and may have even called herself that and my stepmother is an eclectic Jew and would almost certainly use that term.

Leave a comment:

• roguetamlin
    replied
    Originally posted by *oonagh* View Post
    it seems to me that each witch (we are talking witchcraft and not religion...yes?) is unique and therefore eclectic by default.
    Well that's certainly my position. I practice witchcraft as a hodgepodge of whatever works from whatever culture. But I've been talking to a friend involved in the current implosion of the BTW and he's really struggling with the idea of being "eclectic" vs. being part of a tradition. He speaks of being "eclectic" as a wholly separate thing from his 20+ years of being in BTW.

And yes AFAI am concerned "witchcraft" is completely separate from Wicca of any sort. I consider myself an agnostic and although I received Alexandrian training, I am not Wiccan.

Leave a comment:

• *oonagh*
    replied
    it seems to me that each witch (we are talking witchcraft and not religion...yes?) is unique and therefore eclectic by default.

Leave a comment:

• Twinkle
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Nafiala
    replied
    I am an eclectic witch i mostly follow the wiccan path but i am not inaugurated in a coven. And i write most rituals myself or if i really dont have the time or the inspiration i use one from the wiccan path.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X