Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Traditional Witchcraft

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    I don't know if it includes the Recon's. I know that some recons you have to have a degree in language and something else to be an elder. Traditional Witchcraft is anything that was before Gardner. That would include Hedgwitch, folk magic, anything from Australia, Romania, and German magical systems. Pow-Wow is included as well because it was practiced in the New World before Gardner. I hope that I helped you out, Caitlin.ann.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by Caitlin.ann View Post
      I'm just confused. Does that include all indiginous religions and reconstructionist paths as well? Just trying to learn.

      Or is it limited to witchcraft - religion only?

      Hellenismos frowns upon Witchcraft. It would not cover my Recon path.
      "The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common:
      instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
      which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that need altering."

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by Twinkle View Post
        Hellenismos frowns upon Witchcraft. It would not cover my Recon path.
        Have you read Timothy's book "A Beginners Guide to Hellenismos? He also says that Hellenists frown upon witchcraft and consider it Hubris.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Twinkle View Post
          Hellenismos frowns upon Witchcraft. It would not cover my Recon path.
          Yeah I just didn't know how broad or narrow it was. I know many reconstructionists feel the same as you, Twinkle, so I was left wondering.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by Sekhmet Soul30 View Post
            I don't know if it includes the Recon's. I know that some recons you have to have a degree in language and something else to be an elder. Traditional Witchcraft is anything that was before Gardner. That would include Hedgwitch, folk magic, anything from Australia, Romania, and German magical systems. Pow-Wow is included as well because it was practiced in the New World before Gardner. I hope that I helped you out, Caitlin.ann.
            It did, thank you.

            ETA: I should add that my idea of traditional witchcraft has been that of witchcraft without religion (could be hedge, kitchen, green, etc.) and new world witchcraft and folk practices before Gardener. Just wanted to make sure that was correct.
            Last edited by Caitlin.ann; September 29th, 2010, 05:41 PM.

            Comment


            • #36
              You would be correct. Of course Pow-Wow is a different world all together.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Caitlin.ann View Post
                I'm just confused. Does that include all indiginous religions and reconstructionist paths as well? Just trying to learn.

                Or is it limited to witchcraft - religion only?
                This is where it gets tricky. The thing is, witchcraft is the conscious act of focusing energy and will to achieve a desired outcome. Technically, prayer can fall under this, so it could be said that you have to know about whether or not such individuals did such and what was there overall view of witchcraft is as well if what you're doing is close to what they did. For example, you can't practice traditional Aztec magic, cause you can't sacrifice people now days. Also I could tell you about how many acts of witchcraft are practiced in every church all over the world, but since they have a negative view on witchcraft, then you would have to say that it's not tradition. However, many consider Hoodoo to be of tradition as it's a collection of all types folk magic from around the world, and some Hoodoo spells curse people using bible verses. Many Gypsy spells also do the same. It's a confusing hazy subject, so whether religion is apart of it is all apart of the tradition and the practitioner.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by kagekarasu View Post
                  This is where it gets tricky. The thing is, witchcraft is the conscious act of focusing energy and will to achieve a desired outcome. Technically, prayer can fall under this, so it could be said that you have to know about whether or not such individuals did such and what was there overall view of witchcraft is as well if what you're doing is close to what they did. For example, you can't practice traditional Aztec magic, cause you can't sacrifice people now days. Also I could tell you about how many acts of witchcraft are practiced in every church all over the world, but since they have a negative view on witchcraft, then you would have to say that it's not tradition. However, many consider Hoodoo to be of tradition as it's a collection of all types folk magic from around the world, and some Hoodoo spells curse people using bible verses. Many Gypsy spells also do the same. It's a confusing hazy subject, so whether religion is apart of it is all apart of the tradition and the practitioner.
                  I'll agree with this quote, I've seen what happens when a bunch of Pentecostal gets together. I received the broken nose to prove it.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by RayneStorm View Post
                    Thanks for the sites! I'm already on the traditionalwitch.net and am hoping for a full membership soon but that prbly wont happen until next month (or when they get to know me better, whichever one comes first) and I've just signed up to other one traditionalwitchcraft.net membership pending... I'll check out that other site too.

                    Thanks
                    Rayne
                    Yea I tried joining Tradwitchnet and there's really snobby and won't approve me. That's high end.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X