witch without magick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• witch without magick?

I consider myself a humanistic witch, although not necessarily a pagan. but this morning i got to thinking, i don't really practice magick anymore... i used to, and i plan on using it again, but i honestly don't think i've used it in a few years... would that still make me a witch, then? I've always defined a witch as someone who practices witchcraft... but if i'm not currently practicing, then what does that make me?

Originally posted by halfwaynowhere View Post
    I consider myself a humanistic witch, although not necessarily a pagan. but this morning i got to thinking, i don't really practice magick anymore... i used to, and i plan on using it again, but i honestly don't think i've used it in a few years... would that still make me a witch, then? I've always defined a witch as someone who practices witchcraft... but if i'm not currently practicing, then what does that make me?
    No. Witches practice Witchcraft, which in some way relates to magic that reflects a European history and/or flavor.

As for what you are... still you, I suppose. You don't need to be a Witch anymore than you need to be a giraffe.

Comment

Hey, I dont really have a name for what I am, pagan/magickally speaking. I just am what I am. You can be part of my club "Unlabled but yet cool people".
      "We are taught you must blame your father, your sisters, your brothers, the school, the teachers--you can blame anyone, but never blame yourself. It's never your fault. But it's ALWAYS your fault, because if you wanted to change, you're the one who has got to change. It's as simple as that, isn't it?"
      -- Katharine Hepburn

Comment

I agree with everyone so far. You are what you are. Even if what you are is not easily defined in one or two words.
        A Elbereth Gilthoniel!
        Silivren penna miriel
        O menel aglar elenath,
        Gilthoniel, A, Elbereth!

Comment

I'm going to take a different view on this. If you feel comfortable calling yourself a witch, even if you don't practice magic much anymore, then what's the harm in calling yourself a witch? I don't practice a lot of magic anymore myself, but I'm comfortable calling myself a witch, so it sticks. I just call myself whatever I feel like calling myself. And besides, it's not all about labels anyway.
          Don't let yesterday use up too much of today.-Cherokee proverb

Comment

First off, 'witch' has about a thousand definitions. When a Wiccan says 'witch' it isn't the same thing as when a Wizard of Oz fan says 'witch', which isn't the same thing as when an New Guinea tribesman says 'witch.' Even when a Wiccan says 'witch' it means a dozen or so different things (just as Isaac Bonewits.)

Second, you can obsess about labels until you're blue in the face. People tend to label things instintively, but sometimes labels don't really fit. I spent some time a couple of years ago wondering whether I was Wiccan or not. In the end, I just decided that I was what I was, regardless of what I called myself.
            Come visit me at www.darkbirdy.com

A set of photos of my altar and home.

Comment

Originally posted by LadyWillow View Post
              I'm going to take a different view on this. If you feel comfortable calling yourself a witch, even if you don't practice magic much anymore, then what's the harm in calling yourself a witch? I don't practice a lot of magic anymore myself, but I'm comfortable calling myself a witch, so it sticks. I just call myself whatever I feel like calling myself. And besides, it's not all about labels anyway.
              The harm is that you're portraying yourself incorrectly. Would you go around calling yourself an astronaut if you weren't one? Think of the harm it could do to yourself and to others by incorrectly labeling yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Greybird View Post
                First off, 'witch' has about a thousand definitions. When a Wiccan says 'witch' it isn't the same thing as when a Wizard of Oz fan says 'witch', which isn't the same thing as when an New Guinea tribesman says 'witch.' Even when a Wiccan says 'witch' it means a dozen or so different things (just as Isaac Bonewits.)
                Just because everyone else is incorrect doesn't mean you should go jumping off the bridge along with 'em.

Second, you can obsess about labels until you're blue in the face. People tend to label things instintively, but sometimes labels don't really fit. I spent some time a couple of years ago wondering whether I was Wiccan or not. In the end, I just decided that I was what I was, regardless of what I called myself.
                No, labels don't always fit. This one does. It fits a very specific individual. I've grown very annoyed over the years by everyone thinking they can muddy down whatever they want and still be right. You can't. And like I said, you don't need to be a witch anymore than you need to be a giraffe. You can still go on living a happy, healthy, wonderful life without ever applying an label to yourself; especially if it doesn't fit.

Comment

Originally posted by Aidron View Post
                  The harm is that you're portraying yourself incorrectly. Would you go around calling yourself an astronaut if you weren't one? Think of the harm it could do to yourself and to others by incorrectly labeling yourself.
                  I disagree. Humans care too much about labels. Carrying too much about labels doesn't help you, only hinders you. The magic that I practice, can be rather simple, and that simple magic, that I do often wouldn't be what other's call magic. Therefore, it's what's comfortable for me. I don't go around boasting, "I'm a witch!" every chance I get. I don't flaunt, I just do what I do.
                  Don't let yesterday use up too much of today.-Cherokee proverb

Comment

Perhaps it all comes down to one's own personal definition of a witch. If your definition matches your practices, then sure. If it doesn't, then why deceive yourself?

I'm in the same boat - I've practiced witchcraft in the past, and there's nothing saying I won't in the future, but right now I don't. Maybe we're casual/part-time witches - we do the job, but without the paid vacation time. :smileroll

Comment

No. Witches practice Witchcraft, which in some way relates to magic that reflects a European history and/or flavor.

As for what you are... still you, I suppose. You don't need to be a Witch anymore than you need to be a giraffe.
                      I echo my future husband.

Unless you practice Witchcraft you can't call yourself a witch. If you don't practice ceremonial magic/ritual you can't call yourself a magician.

It's.... Just. Yeah. >_< Obvious?

- Jeremy

Comment

Just because everyone else is incorrect doesn't mean you should go jumping off the bridge along with 'em.

No, labels don't always fit. This one does. It fits a very specific individual. I've grown very annoyed over the years by everyone thinking they can muddy down whatever they want and still be right. You can't. And like I said, you don't need to be a witch anymore than you need to be a giraffe. You can still go on living a happy, healthy, wonderful life without ever applying an label to yourself; especially if it doesn't fit.
                        Actually I have to re-quote you here and reiterate this. Not because I'm secretly in love with the person I'm quoting but because he is absolutely 100% correct. You can't be a witch and not practice magic. You just can't. It's a very matter of fact thing.

- Jeremy

Comment

Originally posted by LadyWillow View Post
                          I disagree. Humans care too much about labels. Carrying too much about labels doesn't help you, only hinders you. The magic that I practice, can be rather simple, and that simple magic, that I do often wouldn't be what other's call magic. Therefore, it's what's comfortable for me. I don't go around boasting, "I'm a witch!" every chance I get. I don't flaunt, I just do what I do.
                          Gods forbid we care about labels. It's not like they ever did anything for us besides allow us to classify and identify things within our universe so that we are able to communicate about them. Oh gods, no, how dare we care.

I never said we should carry around 45,048,284 labels. I said we should not carry around incorrect ones. It's deceptive, intentionally or otherwise, and can make people appear ignorant or stupid.

As for the type of magic you practice... I don't recall asking. As for your lack of boasting and flaunting... how is that relevant to this topic? :

Comment

Originally posted by EvieLee View Post
                            Perhaps it all comes down to one's own personal definition of a witch. If your definition matches your practices, then sure. If it doesn't, then why deceive yourself?
                            Personal definitions are exactly the problem. I can't go around calling myself a Satanist while I practice Christianity, yet only do so because I fear some being called Satan. It's a lie. It's deceptive. It's just inaccurate.

I'm in the same boat - I've practiced witchcraft in the past, and there's nothing saying I won't in the future, but right now I don't. Maybe we're casual/part-time witches - we do the job, but without the paid vacation time. :smileroll
                            How about you're just a magical practitioner? Unless you practice a specific kind of magic that is associated with the word Witch, I would not think you one. Magician could also work (one who practices magic). There are a lot of occult titles out there, yet everyone seems to want to cling to Witch when it doesn't fit.

And let me again state this since I'm sure it will be overlooked at some point: People can do and practice whatever they wish. Be the giraffe I mentioned earlier. Who cares. Be happy with yourself. Just don't lie to yourself or the rest of the world.
                            Last edited by Aidron; December 20th, 2007, 02:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremy Westenn View Post
                              I echo my future husband.
                              I'm afraid you'll have to do battle with a certain someone whose name starts with an 'F' and ends with a 'laire' whom currently holds the title as my husband.

Comment

Working...
                              X