Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone here practice dark paganism?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone here practice dark paganism?

Does anyone here practice dark paganism? If you do then what exactly do dark pagans draw from their practices. Just a question that popped into my mind in the middle of the night.

Perhaps it might be helpful to the thread if you outline what you think Dark Paganism is... after all, to some there's no such thing as a light/dark dichotamy.

असतोमा सद्गमय। तमसोमा ज्योतिर् गमया।
    मृत्योर्मामृतं गमय॥
    ॐ Om Asatoma Sadgamaya, Tamasoma Jyoti Gamaya, Mrityoma Amritam Gamaya ॐ

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Stimpson View Post
      Perhaps it might be helpful to the thread if you outline what you think Dark Paganism is... after all, to some there's no such thing as a light/dark dichotamy.
      I very much agree with this. By some definations I follow a "Dark" path for I follow cthonic dieties associated with death, ie Hekate and Sekor. To some the very fact of following a cthonic diety versus a celestial deity makes ones pathwalk dark.

Comment

I have a hard time understanding 'light' and 'dark' at the best of times...

What do you mean by 'dark paganism'?
        I'm sure if you clarified a little we might be able to better answer you.

Comment

Like curses, hexes, following the dark gods, not following the rede, stuff like that. Do you read books by notable Satanic authors (don't know any), do you just not give a damn what people think and like the dark side of life. Sorry if I didn't clarify what I was asking.

Comment

Originally posted by Sekhmet Soul30 View Post
            Like curses, hexes, following the dark gods, not following the rede, stuff like that. Do you read books by notable Satanic authors (don't know any), do you just not give a damn what people think and like the dark side of life. Sorry if I didn't clarify what I was asking.
            Proportionately few pagans follow the rede... are you implying that the majority of pagans "practice" "dark paganism"?

Our ignorance is not so vast as our failure to use what we know. ~ M. King Hubbert

Comment

Does anyone here practice dark paganism? If you do then what exactly do dark pagans draw from their practices. Just a question that popped into my mind in the middle of the night.
              i study in the dark arts. I have been a student of the Occult for sometime now.

I do not practice.

Necromanic arts and Demonology are my 2 fields of study. alot falls under the 2 titles.

some people use the darker arts for evil some for good. evil people have worked texts in line with evil doings and good people have used the darker side of crafts for helpful reason. its like all magik you do what you want with it.

some people find that speaking or dealing with the dead to be evil. while some find it to be dark do to the line of study/work. Not alot of people would sleep next to or in the same room with a dead body for a night.
              Last edited by DHR; October 11th, 2010, 01:44 AM.
              “A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.”

-Oscar Wilde

Comment

I worship Shiva and Kali... and I don't follow the rede. I guess that would make me a Dark Pagan... but as I'm not a religious Pagan at all, that would mean I'm not one. Likewise, only a very small percentage of Wiccans and Pagans follow the Rede, as it's primarily a Wiccan thing.

I'm very curious as to what you man by Dark, is it a general feeling of what society has called 'Dark'. Curses and hexes are generally seen to be evil by general western society... and your inclusion of Stanism also raises some concern for me. Are you looking at it from a viewpoint of what general society rejects as being dark? Or are you getting more at just the less mainstream Wicca? The reason I ask is only because again, I get this sense that your understanding of 'Dark' is a little skewed, or atleast fuzzy. and it fascinates me, please don't take me wrong. I'd love to also hear why it was on your mind... is this something you have been considering?
                Last edited by BenSt; October 11th, 2010, 01:45 AM.

असतोमा सद्गमय। तमसोमा ज्योतिर् गमया।
                मृत्योर्मामृतं गमय॥
                ॐ Om Asatoma Sadgamaya, Tamasoma Jyoti Gamaya, Mrityoma Amritam Gamaya ॐ

Comment

I'll answer this one point at a time...

...curses, hexes...
                  I'm not ethically opposed to hexing/cursing. In fact, I just finished reading Utterly Wicked: Curses, Hexes, and Other Unsavory Notions by Dorothy Morrison.

following the dark gods
                  It depends on your definition of "dark". In Hellenic Paganism, for instance, some/most Olympian gods had their "cthonic" ("earthly") aspects.

not following the rede
                  Not all witches are Wiccan, so they don't concern themselves with following a rede. The rede is a fairly modern concept. The concept of not harming anyone by magic was alien to many (if not all) ancient Pagan cultures.

do you just not give a damn what people think and like the dark side of life
                  I don't care for the rede, but this particular point is very dualistic in its wording. I don't think "the dark" is necessarily evil.

Comment

Er...I'm trying to think of how to answer your question as I am one that doesnt understand it either.

Most Traditional Witches don't adhere to light/dark/etc etc. It is just what it is, we do stuff that needs to be done, be it good or not good, depending on your definition.

From a religious POV, again that would depend on your definition. Just because a god/ess is considered *dark* doesnt make them evil.

Comment

Originally posted by TuathaSidhe View Post
                      Er...I'm trying to think of how to answer your question as I am one that doesnt understand it either.

Most Traditional Witches don't adhere to light/dark/etc etc. It is just what it is, we do stuff that needs to be done, be it good or not good, depending on your definition.

From a religious POV, again that would depend on your definition. Just because a god/ess is considered *dark* doesnt make them evil.
                      THIS!!

I work with what I would presume to be "dark" deities, they are an aspect of the whole. You can't have one without the other.

Also, I think you are bunching Pagans, Satanists, Wiccans etc all in one group. The term Pagan does encompass many individual "paths" under one heading, however each one is its own entity and for a question like this, it might be better to be a lot more specific.

"It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

well I'll curse & hex if necessary, I don't believe in the rede, and am rather fond of Hel.

But i wouldn't consider myself a "dark pagan". I'm just a witch, nothing more and nothing less. And as far as I'm concerned that means I do what is necessary, and if that makes me "dark" to some then so be it. But i think it makes me practical ^^
                        ~*~ )o( Blessings in Shadow & Light! )o( ~*~

~ Semper Fi ~

Comment

Originally posted by Infinite Grey View Post
                          Proportionately few pagans follow the rede... are you implying that the majority of pagans "practice" "dark paganism"?
                          No, it was just a question.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Stimpson View Post
                            I worship Shiva and Kali... and I don't follow the rede. I guess that would make me a Dark Pagan... but as I'm not a religious Pagan at all, that would mean I'm not one. Likewise, only a very small percentage of Wiccans and Pagans follow the Rede, as it's primarily a Wiccan thing.

I'm very curious as to what you man by Dark, is it a general feeling of what society has called 'Dark'. Curses and hexes are generally seen to be evil by general western society... and your inclusion of Stanism also raises some concern for me. Are you looking at it from a viewpoint of what general society rejects as being dark? Or are you getting more at just the less mainstream Wicca? The reason I ask is only because again, I get this sense that your understanding of 'Dark' is a little skewed, or atleast fuzzy. and it fascinates me, please don't take me wrong. I'd love to also hear why it was on your mind... is this something you have been considering?
                            I've met people that have said that they don't follow the rede, which is something that I'm with them on. I don't follow the rede. Also the question about does anyone here practice 'dark' paganism was something that had been going through my mind. Sorry if I'm still not clear in my questioning. No, I'm not saying that pagans practice dark paganism or anything like that. I also understand that curses and hexes are viewed as evil by society as a whole, which I don't understand.

Since Satanism is considered a misunderstood path I've included that because a girl that I met on-line read about Satanism among others and did away with some and kept the rest. That's a reason that I've included that, as she's included that in her dark paganism path. To answer both questions that you posted I'm more interested in hearing what Wiccans, other pagans, think about dark paganism and if they practice it or know anyone that does.

Your right about me being a little fuzzy about what dark paganism is as I'm a Seeker, seeking things. It would also help me to understand things from my brother's view. He practices what he calls dark paganism and I was just wondering more about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Siochain View Post
                              THIS!!

I work with what I would presume to be "dark" deities, they are an aspect of the whole. You can't have one without the other.

Also, I think you are bunching Pagans, Satanists, Wiccans etc all in one group. The term Pagan does encompass many individual "paths" under one heading, however each one is its own entity and for a question like this, it might be better to be a lot more specific.
                              This is so the last time I post a topic without hardly any sleep. I really like everything that people are saying and I would like to hear more. I didn't intend to lump them all together, and I'm sorry if I came across as that. Like I said this is the last time I post a topic without hardly any sleep.

To Lokabrenna: I've done a lot of research into Hellenism and I know what your saying. Hades and I think his wife, along with Hecate, were considered dark, or cthonic, gods. Of course I might be wrong about the wife because she had her own temple with her mother, Demeter.

Comment

Working...
                              X