Meshing Wicca with Trad.Witchcraft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meshing Wicca with Trad.Witchcraft

Do you as a traditional witch feel attracted to anything in Wicca? (I know there are some trads that are anti-wicca.....)

Do you use anything from the Wiccan tradition that would not normally be typical for a traditional witch to use?

Originally posted by herbal_legends View Post
    Do you as a traditional witch feel attracted to anything in Wicca? (I know there are some trads that are anti-wicca.....)

Do you use anything from the Wiccan tradition that would not normally be typical for a traditional witch to use?
    Considering Wicca is just the "new" (well new, popular you choose) witchcraft without the family tradition, I don't think there is much it has to offer that wasn't already a part of traditional practice.

They just put it in writing for the world to see

I feel the tenets of "Harm to none" and "black" or negative magic being wrong puts boundaries on me that I don't want. I tried working with a local coven in Florida, and managed to live to their rules and practices for a couple of years. It wasn't and isn't me, I have to be able to do what is necessary black, white, grey or purple.

Seriously though, I will pull the "Wiccan" card strictly because it is a recognized religion. You can do a lot to hurt a witch but god and the government help you if you do the same to a Wiccan. The ACLU would jump all over it.

Personally, I like seeing that Wicca is becoming more and more popular. True practicioners are welcome to my circle any time. We are similar enough in practice with a lot of things that it's a comfortable friendship.
    Khara's Chaos

Comment

I agree that Wicca is the new without the family tradition. I'm family trad, though I mix it with Tameran Wicca. My family trad is Penn Dutch and so that's how it fits in. I really needed to find something that spoke to me and let everything fall away. I do like some of the things in Wicca like honoring nature and the belief in the god and goddess but I don't like my magic controlled and told what I can and can't do.

My grandmother firmly believed in harming and that sometimes included a shotgun with salt pellets. And, no, I'm not advocating violence, just stating what she did to someone when she was younger.

Comment

I am not anti Wicca, its just not the path for me. There might be some small things (although I can't think of anything at the moment) that might cross over it doesn't make it one in the same. I can't really think of anything now that I think of it....

Comment

I cast circles sometimes, although I consider that less 'Wiccan' and more Ceremonial. Any overlap for me is generally more in the realm of ceremonial magic -- the practice appeals to my more rational side. Heh.
          Everything is right for me, which is right for you, O Universe.
          Nothing for me is too early or too late, which comes in due time for you.
          Everything is fruit to me which your seasons bring, O Nature.
          From you are all things, in you are all things, to you all things return.

Marcus Aurelius

Comment

Originally posted by )O( ~ Khara~ )O( View Post
            Considering Wicca is just the "new" (well new, popular you choose) witchcraft without the family tradition, I don't think there is much it has to offer that wasn't already a part of traditional practice.
            How do you define "traditional practice" Wicca incorporates a good bit of ceremonial magic that I've never really seen being associated with "traditional witchcraft".
            "The word "natural" is completely meaningless! Everything is natural! Nature includes everything! It's not just trees and flowers! It's everything! A chemical company's toxic waste is completely natural! It's part of the nature! We're all part of nature! Everything is natural! Dog shit is natural! It's just not real good food!" George Carlin

http://www.last.fm/user/kidthorazine/

Drop acid, not bombs.

Add me on facebook! (please mention that you are from MW and include username)

Comment

Although Wicca isn't for everyone, the fact that Traditional Witches call their traditions "witchcraft" owes credit to GBG, as 'traditional,' 'hereditary,' and other labels are newer than Wicca, being that they weren't coined until the 90's.

I actually have a couple questions for traditional witches as well. If following a supposed family trad(and I've already seen plenty of Irish fabrications), were you a part of this tradition upon introduction to the pagan community? Also, who has been initiated into Wicca to know that similar practices described as trad craft aren't a part of its tradition?(I can already tell you "The Rede" was a later addition.")
              Last edited by Micheal; November 14th, 2010, 04:55 AM.
              Semper Fidelis

Comment

Micheلl wrote: Although Wicca isn't for everyone, the fact that Traditional Witches call their traditions "witchcraft" owes credit to GBG, as 'traditional,' 'hereditary,' and other labels are newer than Wicca, being that they weren't coined until the 90's.
                I do agree to some degree with this. The exception is that Water Witches / Dowsers have always been called such since at least the late 1600's in the Applachian / Blue Ridge mountains in the US.

The rest were always known as many different things depending upon where their main focus and practice lay, ie Wisen Women, Cunning Women, Seeres, Gifted, etc.

Yet those that were seen as being bad or negative have always been seen as witches.

About the main exception is that I've seen a lot from my line and other mountain lines that is almost Pow Wow in nature with the usage of things inside a Christian framework.

I actually have a couple questions for traditional witches as well. If following a supposed family trad(and I've already seen plenty of Irish fabrications), were you a part of this tradition upon introduction to the pagan community?
                Yes I was part of it even when I was exposed to the greater Occultish community. I never even heard of a Pagan community until the late 90's early 2000's.

It was only upon the breaking of oaths that I saw the pagan community open up. Before that I was part of a family trad where the males usually become Water Witches and Dowsers then become followers of a Shamanic type pathwalk. The females usually becoming more folkish in traditional practices and medicine and charms.

I was fortunate in that in my youth I was also introduced and became part of a different family trad through an elderly Italian Lady that sort of adopted me. Later I found it to be based upon a Stregian practice but that is not what she called it. While I am initiated into it I do not know utilize it that much nor speak on it as it is not mine to pass to any other than my children.

Also, who has been initiated into Wicca to know that similar practices described as trad craft aren't a part of its tradition?(I can already tell you "The Rede" was a later addition.")
                Never been formally initiated into any line so can not answer that question.

Comment

herbal_legends wrote: Do you as a traditional witch feel attracted to anything in Wicca? (I know there are some trads that are anti-wicca.....)
                  As a norm no. Though I also do not claim to be a traditional witch though I was trained as such before my main focus was pointed towards a shamanic pathwalk.

I however am not Anti-Wiccan though I tend to acknowledge lineaged people as Wiccan and non-lineaged as Neo-Wiccans.

Again no. At best it would be seen as cross-overs from ceremonial magics or folkish magics.

Comment

Working...
                  X