Saying Grace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saying Grace

If a witch were to say grace, if at all, what would it be? How would it be worded? To whom would it be addressed? Do you, as a witch, pray before your meals (if you pray at all)?
    "If the stars should appear but one night every thousand years how man would marvel and stare." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Remember your spirituality" - Ganesha to a friend in a dream, 2008

I don't classify myself as a witch. I honestly don't think that thanking the powers that be, or the items/animals that you are eating for the meal. I personally thank all the gods/kami for allowing me to eat, giving me the means to eat. Etc. I also offer the meal to them, and tell them that I hope it pleases them, etc etc. I then thank the items of my meal for giving their life so that I can continue to live. Etc.

For me it has nothing to do with being pagan or being/ or not being/ a witch.

-Devo
    dA | FB | LJ

Comment

If I'm at a family event, then I'll keep it anonymous. "Thank you for providing us with this food, and letting our family come together to appreciate it together. Thank you for our happiness, blah blah etc." I sometimes throw in a Lord or "God" because they are various shades of Christian.

If it's just me alone, I will name off various deities who I feel have been with me lately and thank them for what I feel they have done.
      Even when your hope is gone, move along just to make it through the night.
      my blog

Accepting Tarot Requests

Comment

I've always like the one I picked for my class when I was teaching at a Waldorf School:

The Harvest
        Alice C. Henderson

The silver rain, the shining sun,
        The fields where scarlet poppies run,
        And all the ripples of the wheat
        Are in the bread that I do eat.
        So when I sit for every meal
        And say a grace, I always feel
        That I am eating rain and sun,
        And fields where scarlet poppies run.
        ________________________________________________________________________

Buy my latest book, ACHERON, as an exclusive audiobook from Audible.com now!
        (Or sign up for a 30-day trial of Audible.com, and get it for free!)

Comment

I'm guessing the ever favorite....

God bless the bread, god bless the meat, god I'm hungry, let's eat is not in the running for grace of the year?
          Khara's Chaos

Comment

LOL I love that!

"Good bread, good meat, good God, let's eat!"
            "If the stars should appear but one night every thousand years how man would marvel and stare." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

whenever I visit my pagan family, we have a blessing that goes like this:

The table round, contains the Earth
              and thus becomes the mother
              we share her bounty in this hour
              and bless and love each other
              So Mote It Be....SMIB!
              (followed by a cute chorus of SMIB! from the little ones)

It's really cute, and for a while, I found myself saying it in the cafeteria before lunches at school... now it's just in my head.
              Christina Sparrow

previous MW usernames: VioletStarLizard - lil'BuddhistWich - SunflowerWriter

I am a sparrow, the smallest of songbirds...

Comment

Not necessarily related to witchcraft other than I know of a few witches that say it. It being Will.

The solo version.

"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law!

It is my will to eat and drink!

That my body may be fortified thereby!

That I may accomplish the Great Work!

Love is the law, love under will!"

Semper Fidelis

Comment

Ah yes! You reminded me of the Saying Will, which, if I am not mistaken, is a Thelemic practice I had forgotten about that, but I really like that a lot.

Comment

One that I heard from my brought-up-Catholic-but-hasn't-been-to-church-since-the-60's dad (I don't think he's ever said it at a meal, though):

Father, Son, and Holy Ghost,
                    Whoever eats fast gets the most!

Comment

My dad has a variation of that:

Our Holy Father who art in jail
                      Eating peanuts by the pail
                      Along came the holy ghost
                      He who eats the fastest
                      Gets the most.
                      Don't Let My Dragons Die! Clicky clicky!

MysticWicks Trusted Retailer Thread

:boing:Southeastern Peach State Pagans - Come Join Us!:boing:

Comment

Originally posted by Selah View Post
                        Ah yes! You reminded me of the Saying Will, which, if I am not mistaken, is a Thelemic practice I had forgotten about that, but I really like that a lot.
                        Yes . Its connection to witchcraft is through those that happen to be Wiccans&Thelemites.

Considering a more secular approach to witchcraft, would be akin to whispering an imprecation while something is baking. Or, in a traditional sense of being a product of time and culture(Christian), here's an old Scots Gaelic one from the Carmina Gaedelica, a collection of prayers, charms, hyms, incantations&runes, that can of course be adapted.

"AN BEANNACHADH STRUAIN

Gach min tha fo m' chleibh Theid am measgadh le cheil, An ainm Mhic De, Thug fas daibh.
                        Bainn is uibheann is im, Sochair mhath ar cuid fhin, Cha bhi gainne 'n ar tir, No 'n ar fardaich.
                        An ainm Mhicheil mo luaidh, Dh' fhag againn a bhuaidh, Le beannachd an Uain, 'S a Mhathar.
                        Umhlaich sinn aig do stol, Biodh do chumraig fein oirnn, Cum uainn fuath, fath, foirn, Agus gleidh sinn.
                        Coisrig toradh ar tir, Bairig sonas is sith, An ainm an Athar an Righ, 'S nan tri ostal gradhach.
                        Bearnan bride, creamh min, Lus-mor, glasrach is slim, Na tri ghroigeanan-cinn, Is lus Mairi,
                        Cailpeach ghlas air a buain, Seachd-mhiarach, seachd uair, Iubhar-beinne, fraoch ruadh, Agus madar.
                        Cuiream uisge orr gu leir, An ainm usga Mhic De, An ainm Mhuire na feil, Agus Phadruig.
                        D'uair shuidheas sinn sios Gu gabhail ar biadh, Cratham an ainme Dhia Air na paisdean."
                        "THE BLESSING OF THE STRUAN

Each meal beneath my roof They will all be mixed together, In name of God the Son, Who gave them growth.
                        Milk, and eggs, and butter, The good produce of our own flock, There shall be no dearth in our land, Nor in our dwelling.
                        In name of Michael of my love, Who bequeathed to us the power, With the blessing of the Lamb, And of His Mother.
                        Humble us at thy footstool, Be thine own sanctuary around us, Ward from us spectre, sprite, oppression, And preserve us.
                        Consecrate the produce of our land, Bestow prosperity and peace, In name of the Father the King, And of the three beloved apostles.
                        Dandelion, smooth garlic, Foxglove, woad, and butterwort, The three carle-doddies, And marigold.
                        Gray 'cailpeach' plucked, The seven-pronged seven times, The mountain yew, ruddy heath, And madder.
                        I will put water on them all, In precious name of the Son of God, In name of Mary the generous, And of Patrick.
                        When we shall sit down To take our food, I will sprinkle in the name of God On the children."
                        Semper Fidelis

Comment

Working...
                        X