Where do non-wiccan witches stand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do non-wiccan witches stand?

I was reading an artical about wicca being a valid religon and where it is accepted as such etc.. my question is: what about witches who practice witchcraft, not wicca? (I dont mean the term "witch" as in 'magic practitioner'.) Witchcraft and wicca are very closely related, but they are not the same.. Is witchcraft a valid religon or just wicca?

did that make scence?
    ~ miriam

Witchcraft isn't a religion, valid or otherwise.

When you say witch, and it doesn't mean magical practicioner, what does it mean, exactly?

Comment

Originally posted by Mouse
      I was reading an artical about wicca being a valid religon and where it is accepted as such etc.. my question is: what about witches who practice witchcraft, not wicca? (I dont mean the term "witch" as in 'magic practitioner'.) Witchcraft and wicca are very closely related, but they are not the same.. Is witchcraft a valid religon or just wicca?

did that make scence?
      ~ miriam

Witchcraft is not a religion. It is a craft, simple as that. It has no doctrine or dogma. It can be applied to various religions and faiths all across the globe with varying degrees of success.

It does in fact denote a magical practioner, most often those who focus on low or folk magic, but not always.

Comment

"Where do non-wiccan witches stand?"...in the hearts and minds of all good catholics...yummy.
        haha I jest of course!

As far as I've ever been taught by great grandmother, and parents...In scottland Witch ment/means wise...or (sometimes used in its basterdized form) meant Wise woman..and therefore "Witchcraft" ment wisecraft or way of the wise. Its by no means a formal religion like wicca...and I dont believe can be recognised as something it is not. (Speaking as a non wiccan-witch, i knowit really gets my pantaloons in a knot when i hear that a wiccan, practicing for 4 years is recognized clergy inmy home city...yet a lifelong witch/pagan cannot be..simply because of a term...but thats niether here nor there...so please no one take offence to that ramble)
        Last edited by Mowri; December 7th, 2004, 10:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LittleRhiannon
          Witchcraft isn't a religion, valid or otherwise.
          I second...er third that. I feel that witchcraft is a practice... much like meditation or prayer and could be applied to other religions...
          Ivy Artemisia
          Twilight Spiral Coven [Site | Facebook]
          Hearth and Hedgerow [Site | Etsy Shop]

Comment

I was reading an artical about wicca being a valid religon ~ miriam
            *laughing*

I wonder if this is the same article that I read and ranted to my friends about for at least a good hour today?

Hmmm it is my opinion that witchcraft is an act and not a religion.

Many different "religions" practice witchcraft and a huge basis of any religion is the worship of deities, one can practice witchcraft without worshipping a deity.

So to me at least, that would indicate that witchcraft isnt a religion.

*still chuckling that I just commented on this to some friends......small world*
            ~*Wither thou goest, there goest I, two flames sparked from but one ember; both forward and backward doth time fly, wither thou art, remember.*~

Comment

Thanks to everyone for their view points..

LittleRhiannon, When i say 'witch' not refering to 'magical practitioner' i'm meaning people who practice witchcraft as a religon, wheather or not they use magick, similar to the practice of wicca but without the dogma. And although witchraft isnt a religon (as has been stated here) there are people who practise it as one, these are the people i am refering to.
              hope that clears that up :P

Comment

It's a...

Definitely a practice. The focus is on manipulating energy to effect change - and that can be done by anyone regardless of religious persuasion.

-Lori

Comment

Thanks to everyone for their view points..

LittleRhiannon, When i say 'witch' not refering to 'magical practitioner' i'm meaning people who practice witchcraft as a religon, wheather or not they use magick, similar to the practice of wicca but without the dogma. And although witchraft isnt a religon (as has been stated here) there are people who practise it as one, these are the people i am refering to.
                  hope that clears that up :P

Witchcraft cannot be practiced as a religion, for it is not one. Religions inherently contain dogma, therefore it again cannot be practiced as a religion. I know you realize (perhaps if only now after this thread) that witchcraft is not a religion, but that in itself denotes that it cannot be practiced as one. It can be incooperated into your own individual philosophical ideas, but that does not make your magic the spiritual path, your beliefs do.

Comment

On there feet.

But seriously, I agree with these folks on this. As far as religion is concerned, if someone is professing witchcraft to be their religion, then I might be inclined to thing that they are either referring to wicca or they simply are not sure how to label their beliefs.

k
                    If the universe puts a mystery in front of us as a gift, then politeness requires that we at least try and solve it.

"What else did they teach you?"
                    "Delight. Respect. Compassion. That for you actions to be pure they must proceed from direction, determination, patience, and strength. I am afraid, I am still working on patience. They taught me how to live, how to breathe, how to fight, and how to die."

I'm Earthy's long lost brother
                    Tanks, Flaire!!!

Comment

Since Witchcraft is not a religion but craft is why you can have non-pagan witchs like a person I know who is a jewish witch.
                      Last edited by Dark Phoenix; December 8th, 2004, 08:14 AM.
                      "It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are tweny gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg"- Thomas Jefferson
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Phoenix
                        Since Witchcraft in not a religion but craft is why you can have non-pagan witchs like a person I know who is a jewish witch.
                        For the simple reason that it [witchcraft] is not a religion, but something that can be incorporated into a religion/spiritual path.
                        We're born in a prison, raised in a prison, sent to a prison called school. We cry in a prison, we love in a prison, we dream in a prison like fools. Wood becomes a flute when it's loved; reach for yourself and your battered mates. Mirror becomes a razor when it's broken; look in the mirror and see your shattered fate. We live with no reason, kicked around for no reason, thrown out without reason like tools. We work in a prison, and hate in a prison, and die in a prison as a rule. We live in a prison among judges and wardens, and wait for no reason for you. We laugh in a prison, go through all four seasons, and die with no vision of truth. ~ John Lennon

Comment

. . .

Here's my two cents. I am a Witch--Meaning this, I am Spiritual-Not Religious.

Blessings,
                          Nepheria.

Comment

I am a witch and/or magical practitioner who makes her own path. I have no religion really, though I do borrow many of the ethics of the Unitarian Universalist church.
                            We're born in a prison, raised in a prison, sent to a prison called school. We cry in a prison, we love in a prison, we dream in a prison like fools. Wood becomes a flute when it's loved; reach for yourself and your battered mates. Mirror becomes a razor when it's broken; look in the mirror and see your shattered fate. We live with no reason, kicked around for no reason, thrown out without reason like tools. We work in a prison, and hate in a prison, and die in a prison as a rule. We live in a prison among judges and wardens, and wait for no reason for you. We laugh in a prison, go through all four seasons, and die with no vision of truth. ~ John Lennon

Comment

Well, who decides what is or isn't a religion?
                              One of the definitions of religion is : a set of strongly-held beliefs, values, and attitudes that somebody lives by
                              By that definition, Witchcraft can very well be a religion. Witchcraft to me, is not just a craft, it's also a belief system which doesn't necessarily incorporate the concept of any particular deity.

Comment

Working...
                              X