witches in fairytales...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• witches in fairytales...

Why is it that the witch has to be evil in the fairytales, why can't they ever be a good witch? Or maybe a princess witch, hell why does the royal family always have to be exclusively Christian?

I dont know about the royal family but in the wizard of oz ya got a good and bad witch!!
    :boing:

Comment

Originally posted by gurlygurl2004
      Why is it that the witch has to be evil in the fairytales, why can't they ever be a good witch? Or maybe a princess witch, hell why does the royal family always have to be exclusively Christian?
      I don't remember any classical fairy tales, including those mentioning witches where they specifically say the "good guys" are Christian. Hell, there's no religion at all in fairy tales. The witches in fairy tales have nothing to do with modern day paganism.

Comment

Hmmm...maybe because it's fantasy, and the stereotypical idea of a witch is that with green skin and warts, cackling over a cauldron? I think it also has to do with the fact that many fairy tales were written in the early 1900's, where Christianity was (and basically still is) the dominant religion.
        My Myspace!

"I might disagree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." -Voltaire

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Comment

Because kids like witches better than trolls!

Witches are much more interesting and full of all sorts of ideas, and plans.
          Trolls just like to go around insisting that everything is their's.

No Regrets!
          Global Glasses

"You can dislike who you wish, hate what you want, or you can practice love, respect and understanding." ~Flar

"I don't abandon or dislike people for hope or love or who they are as a person. Life is too short for that." ~Dru

"When you assume, you make an ass outta you and me" ~ Someone's very intelligent Aunt
          "The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

MysticWicks Candle Altar

Compassion is the highest virtue!
          ~ ~ ~

Witchy links 4 You!
          Welcome to my World!
          Something Special!

Do you ever wonder what I wish for?

Want fast, custom web content without writing a single word?

Comment

Because the point of fairy tales used to be to scare children.
            Last edited by piglet; March 23rd, 2005, 01:03 AM.
            "Dont struggle like that or I will only love you more."
            -The Cure, "Lullaby"

Comment

Originally posted by piglet
              Because the point of fairy tales used to be to scare children.
              This is true. Alot of the fairy tales, expecially by Brothers Grimm (and there is speculation that their name isn't just a coincidence), used to be very violent compared to what people are familiar with nowadays. Even Mother Goose wasn't entirely kid-friendly.

Comment

Depends on which versions you are reading. There was a fad for a while (Victorians, and the French court tales for a bit... think Lang "blue fairy book" "lavender fairy book") where you get morality fairy tales. Many of the tales that get lumped into the fairy tale category, however have good fairies and bad, good magic workers and bad, etc. And modern versions are rewritten many ways.
                "The facts do not change, but their order is given another dimension through another myth. They are experienced differently; they gain another tale."-James Hillman

Justice is blind. A witch is not.

Comment

I can't think of a single Christian fairy tale. I'm sure there are variations on tales that have, in the modern age, been imbued with a Christian meaning, but I honestly can't think of one with an inherently Christian meaning. Fairy tales are quite agnostic.

banner courtesy Faeawyn

Comment

Fairy tales are used to teach lessons, much like mythology.

Every culture will imbed their own lessons in the tales, rewriting them all the time. What you see now, is the result of the last rewrite.

Your job: rewrite it yourself, with the premises you set. (Oh wait, didn't JK Rowling do that already?)
                    Xentor, your friendly-neighbourhood Checkerist
                    Contact me | The Dialogues on Checkerism

Comment

I think a lot of witches in faery tales and the like are not evil, but neither good either. They are both as everyone is both. One side may get more show than the other, and in a few stories here and there you have witches who are just outright evil to the core... but the same is true of good witches in a few stories as well.

Why? Many reasons. Witches, however, are not inherently good. Wiccans... maybe, but being that Wicca wasn't around when most were written and the fact that many witches have and still do have no qualms about using their magic as they see fit often causes them to be deemed evil... just look around, today's Pagan community is no different in this respect.

Comment

Because in the language of the day, the meaning of witch was an evil hag.... or something like that. Words change meaning over time. We've only recently begun to change the meaning of 'witch'... and we aren't done with the process. Only when the majority of society accepts it shall the definition really be changed.
                        Sat Bast, meryt Serqet-Aset her Yenipu-Wepwawet her HetHert-Sekhmet
                        "While I dance I cannot judge,
                        I cannot hate,
                        I cannot seperate myself from life.
                        I can only be joyful and whole.
                        That is why I dance."
                        --Hans Bos

Comment

I feel like the presence of the evil witch is showing that the good beautiful princess or royal families are Christian, and look at our real life royal families, they don't have evil witches going after them, but they are inherently Christian and fairy tales are somewhat steeped in truth. And one question why does the witch always have to be ugly? Why can't it be a beautiful witch that seduces(or at least tries to seduce) the prince.

Comment

I feel like the presence of the evil witch is showing that the good beautiful princess or royal families are Christian, and look at our real life royal families, they don't have evil witches going after them, but they are inherently Christian and fairy tales are somewhat steeped in truth. And one question why does the witch always have to be ugly? Why can't it be a beautiful witch that seduces(or at least tries to seduce) the prince.
                            Ok, why do you assume that because the villain is a witch, this means that the good guys must automatically be Christian? Name one single classic fairy tale that makes any remote reference to religion at all, or any fairy tale with witches that you can possibly link to classical mythology or wicca.

I hate to rain on your parade, but when these were written, people didn't have anywhere near the same concept of witches that we have today, and it's partly because first of all witchcraft today as we know it is not the same as it was back then, and also, there's no evidence to suggest that all the witches through history were good white witches looking to heal people. *shrug*

Personally I think your adding Christianity into fairy tales is simply another extension onto the "poor witch persecuted by the evil Christians" victim mentality.

Comment

I think it depends on what fairy tale and what culture. Fairy tales are inherently mythology, and Circe is a good example of a witch in Greek mythology who is beautiful and tries to seduce the hero. The evil step mother is Snow White is arguably a witch and is beautiful. I'm not sure why the presence of an evil witch would indicate that the family is Christian, many cultures which practice animist religions have evil witches as well. The evil "witch," in any form, is really a cross cultural phenomenon, with different terms, wizard, shaman, medicine man, etc..., being used to describe people who work magic in a positive way.

Like other's have said, people have only begun to reclaim the term witch in a positive fashion in the past 60 years or so, and in many parts of the world throughout time, it has had only a negative connotation, Christian or not.

Comment

Working...
                              X