Making a witch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making a witch

In my tradition, witches are people how have 'the good blue blood'. And I'm sure you've all heard the term natural witches. (Not meaning that you came out of the womb with an athame waving, but rather an inclination/ talent like some people can play the piano really well.)

However, there must be opposites of these terms. Not everyone has it in their blood. What about Someone who doesn't have it in their blood, no apparent talents, and such. How would you train those people who seem hellbent on being witches? Should you continue throwing energy at them or should you tell them what you think of them being witches or whatnot?

Just a random thought.
    -Kendrah

'We shall not cease from exploration
    And the end of all our exploring
    Will be to arrive where we started
    And know the place for the first time.'
    -T.S. Eliot

"Oh, no no no, it was too cold always
    (Still the dead one lay moaning)
    I was much too far out all my life
    And not waving but drowning."
    -Stevie Smith

(To further your piano metaphor)

I believe that anyone can be a witch. While there are those who are naturally better at manipulating energy, anyone can do it with enough practice. Just as anyone can learn to play the piano with practice
    :fpraise: Hail the mighty Wikipedia :fpraiseyo

Comment

Ditto what Starspiral said

here blue blood tends to mean you are royality, noble, aristocracy .....wonders how many witches there are in the royality

I think the other part is unless they throw their own energy -whether they have natural talent or not they will never be a witch

Comment

Double Ditto.

I've always been somewhat skeptical of "natural witches", because I think everyone can train and hone their natural abilities to manipulate energy. While some may take longer than others to get the hang of it, if the drive and desire are there, it will happen.
        My Myspace!

"I might disagree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." -Voltaire

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Comment

I do believe that some people will take to it better/faster/easier than others, though that doesn't make them any more superios to those who aren't 'naturals'. Just like anything. if you have the determination and the ambition and the drive (the same thing three times, i know!) then you can do whatever you want. I heard somewhere that it's not talent that's important, it's how often you practice. There might be some 'naturals' who don't even know they are 'naturals' and never end up finding paganism/witchfraft/etc. Just my opinion.

Argent

Comment

But there are people who study the piano for years and years and years who are still tone deaf. You all must admit there are things you just can't do. It doesn't make you less of a person. You just know what you are capable. So why wouldn't it be that there are people who can't be witches, have no talents for it, etc?

(I'm not an avid believer in the theory that if you try hard enough you can do anything, if you can't tell )
            -Kendrah

-T.S. Eliot

-Stevie Smith

Comment

They might not be an award winning pianoist....but they can still play the piano and play it far better than me who can't and have never learnt

They might not meet the same standard of greatness but I think sometimes those that have struggled to achieve the stage they have have a deeper understanding and appreciate it more than natural talented people, as they have really put they heart and soul into it where as naturally born talented people tend to take it for granted more

Comment

Originally posted by Kendrah
                But there are people who study the piano for years and years and years who are still tone deaf. You all must admit there are things you just can't do. It doesn't make you less of a person. You just know what you are capable. So why wouldn't it be that there are people who can't be witches, have no talents for it, etc?

(I'm not an avid believer in the theory that if you try hard enough you can do anything, if you can't tell )
                Well, they may not be able to call themselves a pianist, but if playing the piano is something they love, and is a source of happiness, who are we to judge whether or not they should be allowed to play.

Same thing with spiritual paths. Someone may come to it because they get something out of it. It helps them grow, it fullfills them spiritually. If someone wants you to teach them, then by all means, teach them. Regardless of whether or not you thinlk they have 'talents'. If someone is that dedicated to learning, then they are there for a reason. You cannot question why. And you cannot question whether or not you feel your time will be waisted.

It doesn't matter if someone is 'good' at what they do. All that matters is that they are giving it their best.

Comment

Originally posted by SoulHealer
                  They might not meet the same standard of greatness but I think sometimes those that have struggled to achieve the stage they have have a deeper understanding and appreciate it more than natural talented people, as they have really put they heart and soul into it where as naturally born talented people tend to take it for granted more
                  Having all the apprication in the world doesn't mean you can perform and function as a pianist, or a witch in this case. If you have tried and tried and still can't carry a tone, can't play 'mary had a little lamb', and such, all the apprication and special understanding doesn't amount to anything.
                  -Kendrah

-T.S. Eliot

-Stevie Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Dio
                    It doesn't matter if someone is 'good' at what they do. All that matters is that they are giving it their best.
                    so if you commission the services of a witchdoctor to raise your dead grandfather to find out where he buried the family fortune, and theyre not good enough to come through with the goods, then it doesnt matter that they end up losing control and setting free evil spirits that eat your head, as long as they were doing their best?

disclaimer: whilst i am no longer in the business of offending people, if you're offended, eat me. i'll defend what ive said until i get bored with you :kooky:

Comment

Right, but I don't think magic is as specific as a piano. You could say that doing magic is like making music. Perhaps one tradition is the piano, another the flute, you've got voice, percussion, etc. Now, say you're like me and you just can't get bass clef. I took piano two years, and while I can do simple things still, it wasn't for me. But did I give up music altogether? No. Next I sang in the choir. Actually, I got to sing a lot of lead parts, not because my voice was great, but because I could sing in-tune. After the other kids in choir developed their pitch, though, I just became peripheral... So then I decided to play the flute. Turned out to be a good match. Now, say if I was, indeed, tone-deaf, that doesn't mean I have to give up music altogether either. I won't be able to tell if I'm out of tune and won't really be able to play by ear, but given good music and notes, I can make something serviceable. And even then, if tonal music just isn't working, there's always percussion. Tone-deaf people tend to still have good rhythm even if they can't "carry the tune"...

Personally, I think that if you are looking at only one or only a few systems of magic or manipulating energy, then yes, some people will just be incapable of doing it, and some will naturally have that bent, while people in between need training. But if you look at the vast array of ways to do magic, then it seems to me that if a person is dedicated enough, they will eventually find something that fits with them. ^_^

And people often don't realize that even though you may not see it or feel the energy/magic, that doesn't mean you can't do it. It just means that you need to be very careful and deliberate. ^_^

I don't know, just my thoughts... ^_^

Tashi delek!
                      Dawa Lhamo
                      Before you accuse someone of LYING, please read this first.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dr_zeus440
                        so if you commission the services of a witchdoctor to raise your dead grandfather to find out where he buried the family fortune, and theyre not good enough to come through with the goods, then it doesnt matter that they end up losing control and setting free evil spirits that eat your head, as long as they were doing their best?
                        Heheh. Well, you have a point....a little outlandish, and off-base. But ok. Point taken.

Comment

Originally posted by Dio
                          But isn't it cruel to lead someone on. If you're teaching someone, it's implies that there is something there for them. They soon grow frustrated and would leave in a greater fuss then someone who you were frank with.
                          -Kendrah

-T.S. Eliot

-Stevie Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Dawa Lhamo
                            Right, but I don't think magic is as specific as a piano. You could say that doing magic is like making music. Perhaps one tradition is the piano, another the flute, you've got voice, percussion, etc. Now, say you're like me and you just can't get bass clef. I took piano two years, and while I can do simple things still, it wasn't for me. But did I give up music altogether? No. Next I sang in the choir. Actually, I got to sing a lot of lead parts, not because my voice was great, but because I could sing in-tune. After the other kids in choir developed their pitch, though, I just became peripheral... So then I decided to play the flute. Turned out to be a good match. Now, say if I was, indeed, tone-deaf, that doesn't mean I have to give up music altogether either. I won't be able to tell if I'm out of tune and won't really be able to play by ear, but given good music and notes, I can make something serviceable. And even then, if tonal music just isn't working, there's always percussion. Tone-deaf people tend to still have good rhythm even if they can't "carry the tune"...

Personally, I think that if you are looking at only one or only a few systems of magic or manipulating energy, then yes, some people will just be incapable of doing it, and some will naturally have that bent, while people in between need training. But if you look at the vast array of ways to do magic, then it seems to me that if a person is dedicated enough, they will eventually find something that fits with them. ^_^

And people often don't realize that even though you may not see it or feel the energy/magic, that doesn't mean you can't do it. It just means that you need to be very careful and deliberate. ^_^

I don't know, just my thoughts... ^_^

Tashi delek!
                            Dawa Lhamo
                            Nicely said, Dawa. This is exactly what I was getting at

I have had many folks come my way, wanting to learn. I have had some very exceptional people who are talented in many ways. Others have none at all. Those who don't, never stay around for long. I have yet to have someone with absolutely NO ability stick around.

However, if someone with no apparent talents truly wanted to stay and learn, I would teach them. There are no limits to someone's desire....you just have to help them cultivate it. If it is something they want, you should never tell them "they can't".

The only time I have ever turned someone away is if they are either a danger to me or themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Kendrah
                              But isn't it cruel to lead someone on. If you're teaching someone, it's implies that there is something there for them. They soon grow frustrated and would leave in a greater fuss then someone who you were frank with.
                              Teaching someone is not leading them on, nor is it lying to them. If they leave, they were never meant to be there in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                              X