Making a witch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kendrah
    Elistist blue blood clan of witches? LOL. You're funny. Did I say I was the supreme ruler and when did I learn all forms of witchcraft? What special techniques would I have?

People who can't sing are told that. If you can't draw and you go to school for drawing, your teacher will sit you down and tell it to your face. I know, it happened to me. Did I take offense? No. I have no talent in drawing, in any of the forms. I tried my damnest. Didn't take any difference.

So why is it that you can tell someone they can't sing, they can't draw, they can't program on the computer, or any number of other things, but you can't say that about a witch? Why is witchcraft different from any other craft out there in the world? This is my question.
    I don't think you should tell anyone they can't do something....for any reason. People are usually smart enough to figure out on their own than they are unable to do certain things. It is irresponsible as a teacher to tell someone they can't.

Comment

Originally posted by RubyRose
      Having a talent for Witchcraft ...!? I'm sorry but I don't know how that works. Sure you could be skilled in tarot reading or runes or what have you, but first you have to learn the technique. Learning something takes time and practice. Once you've learnt the basics, well anything is possible, and then its merely about perfecting the skill.

Saying things like, 'oh your a natural witch' to me only means you've got talent. Which simply boils down to the fact that you're either a fast learner, or you've had lost of practice.
      I don't mean natural in the sense of being born with an athame. I mean natural as having some sort of ability. Even if you have to practice for years to feel energy, if you finally feel the energy, you're natural. It wouldn't've happened otherwise.

If you can't pick up even the basics, what does that make you? Are you still a witch?
      -Kendrah

'We shall not cease from exploration
      And the end of all our exploring
      Will be to arrive where we started
      And know the place for the first time.'
      -T.S. Eliot

"Oh, no no no, it was too cold always
      (Still the dead one lay moaning)
      I was much too far out all my life
      And not waving but drowning."
      -Stevie Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Dio
        I don't think you should tell anyone they can't do something....for any reason. People are usually smart enough to figure out on their own than they are unable to do certain things. It is irresponsible as a teacher to tell someone they can't.
        Personally, I'm tossed. I think it's cruel to lead someone on, yet I don't think it's trully possible to tell someone what they are or not. *shrugs* But it makes for a good discussion. ^___^

Evil Kendrah.
        Last edited by Kendrah; April 15th, 2005, 02:20 PM.
        -Kendrah

-T.S. Eliot

-Stevie Smith

Comment

Well Im glad that I gave you a good life with my silly misinterpretation of your words. Anyway you yourself described your tradition as blue blood and blue blood is elitest by definition. So I am only using your own words .also there are more than one forms of witchcraft so maybe they simply don't belong in your little group . Furthermore my point about you claming to be all knowing, in case it escaped you, is that you may not know what they can or can't achieve. Thats all Besides, Albert Einstein was thought to be stupid and he clearly wasn't.

Comment

You're not using my words when you stick Elistist on there. I said nothing about being an elistist. I never said that all forms of witchcraft belong to my group. I don't know everything, nor did it escape me what you implied - it just wasn't worth commenting on. And how many Albert Einsteins are floating around the world? Just one to my knowledge...

All I am asking is that if someone cannot grasp the basic's of witchcraft, the foundation blocks that most things build upon, can they still be called a witch. This is all...
            -Kendrah

-T.S. Eliot

-Stevie Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Sleet
              Allow me to present an alternative view from a guy without a magical bone in his body...
              Well, I'm sure you've got at least one...

Originally posted by Sleet
              Ever drop a brick onto muddy ground? Know the sound it made? That sound - a wet, dull, muffled *thud* - is a pretty good metaphor for my own early, clumsy attempts at any sort of magic at all. I really don't think it was a matter of me doing it wrong, I really just didn't have it. I have about as much magical ability, sixth sense, and energy talent as a box of rocks.
              So you opened the gift and were a little overwhelmed by the contents. It doesn't mean you don't have it in you. It's in there somewhere. There's another thing my grandmother used to say that I have found to be very true "Men have a much harder time finding where the gift is hidden."

Comment

Okay so I added elitist but blue blood is a burgeious group who are different and think themselves better than others. Anyway lets not mince words. I do not think that learning magic is like a musical instrument. Witchcraft is spiritual practice. it is not tangable like a painting or a piano. I believe exactly what temptation says about it being within everyone they just may have forgotten or it under psycological baggage. is other . I think that people who see it a a special talent are perhaps just making themselves feel special. Okay I suppose I have to explain my point more about Einstein. The so called experts (teachers) thought him stupid and he became arguablly the best known scientist ever. Maybe the person will become one of the best energy manipulators ever despite what the experts ("natural witches") say. Or to put it bluntly in case I haven't explained myself again. who do you think you are? Who gave you god like powers to determine whether or not they will ever be good at witchcraft? How do you know? The fact is that you don't and since you don't, you cannot discourage them only encourage them. If you are so irrated because they are not advancing fast enough for you then maybe you should find them another teacher for them.

Comment

i think if you are teaching someone, and no matter what you do they still aren't getting it, than they should find a new teacher. I don't mean for this to sound like you are a bad teacgher or anything, i just mean that maybe someone else has a different method that may work better for this person. there is no reason why a person shouldn't be able to do something, they just have to take the right approach for them. take math, for example. I am no mathematician, I get really lost in math class, I don't understand how most things are done. but one of my peers explains it to me in a new light, they teach me a different method of doing a problem, and all of a sudden it clicks, and it feels right. and while my math teacher may be getting through to most of the class, my mind works differently, so i need a different method. just remember, everybody is different, and yes, i do think some people are more talented at things than others, but lacking talent is just another challenge to face.

Comment

Originally posted by Temptation
                    Well, I'm sure you've got at least one...
                    Hey, settle down.

Originally posted by Temptation
                    So you opened the gift and were a little overwhelmed by the contents. It doesn't mean you don't have it in you. It's in there somewhere.
                    No, it was more a matter of I opened it and found nothing. Is it possible that I could learn with a lot of training and practice? Possibly, but I think it's in the same sense I could learn to pole vault - In theory maybe, yes, I could learn the mechanical motions of pole vaulting, but I'd never clear three meters.

But like I said, that's OK. Spell work has never been part of my spirituality, and I feel no deprivation because of it. Psychologically I'm much more of an observer than an imposer. We all have our talents.
                    - Sleet

Comment

Originally posted by Kendrah
                      I don't mean natural in the sense of being born with an athame. I mean natural as having some sort of ability. Even if you have to practice for years to feel energy, if you finally feel the energy, you're natural. It wouldn't've happened otherwise.

If you can't pick up even the basics, what does that make you? Are you still a witch?
                      But natural when referring to a witch, to me means you have an inate ability, so wouldn't that mean you wouldn't have to learn anything? Its already inbuilt ... or something.

I could be contradicting myself, but then the brain is a weird and wonderous thing.

As for picking up the basics, if you commit something to memory, its always there.

Bendithion,
                      RubyRose

My Author Page
                      That's the thing about magic. There's always consequences. Always.

Comment

I think part of the problem here lies in the meaning of witchcraft. What exactly are the basics of witchcraft? What makes a witch? What are the tools of the witch? Herbs? Tarot? Runes? Gems and stones? What are the abilities of the witch? Healing? Clairvoyance? Communication with spirits?

I think that everyone has the natural ability to be a witch, but some people are going to be better at some tasks. For instance, I'm good with tarot, but lousy with runes. And no matter how hard I try, I'll never be good at any form of math higher than basic algebra.

Comment

I agree with Pandoras. IMHO, I dislike the term "natural witch" because it instantly makes the user seem "better" than anyone else. However, witchcraft isn't a straight line because it can be different for everybody. What I believe witchcraft to be, and the areas I'm most fluent in, may not be the same as your's. Thus defining witchcraft as something somebody is talented in is impossible because it's too varied.

"Wisdom is scar tissue in disguise." -Anonymous

MAD, adj. Affected with a high degree of intellectual independence; not conforming to standards of thought, speech and action derived by the conformants from study of themselves; at odds with the majority; in short, unusual. It is noteworthy that persons are pronounced mad by officials destitute of evidence that themselves are sane. -The Devil's Dictionary," Ambrose Bierce

"I came to understand that these memories were my salvation. I no longer wanted to know why I had done such things if it meant I wouldn't want to do them anymore. I put my notebooks aside forever. I was different, and that was all. I had always know I was different; I could not trudge through life contentedly chewing whatever cud I found in my mouth, as those around me seemed to do." -"Exquisite Corpse," Poppy Z. Brite

:vanish:

Comment

I see witchcraft in its basic terms as working with magic. Which I see magic as nature.

So anyone who has an efffinity with nature, would be a natural witch but I could conteract that arguement because we are all part of that nature. So basically we all have access to magic.
                            Kickass dragon ---->

I <3 obs

Always believe in yourself. Do this and no matter where you are, you will have nothing to fear. - Baron Humbert von Gikkingen

Comment

I think everyone is good at different areas of magic. For example it seems like some people who may not be very good psychics are very good with herbs and remedies, just different. I don't really know--if someone just can't do magic I think it could be because they are holding themselves back by their beliefs as well.
                              ~Clearly you have never been to Singapore~ Pirates of the Carribean

Comment

Originally posted by StarSpiral
                                (To further your piano metaphor)

I believe that anyone can be a witch. While there are those who are naturally better at manipulating energy, anyone can do it with enough practice. Just as anyone can learn to play the piano with practice
                                Exactly!
                                Official Site Step-Child
                                ~

~Child of Eros and Persephone~

Comment

Working...
                                X