No announcement yet.

Traditional Witchcraft Path info....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wasnt calling witchcraft itself a religion, The website did that.

It was trying to describe older religions predating wicca, which most likely involve witchcraft as a practice.
    Kickass dragon ---->

I <3 obs

Always believe in yourself. Do this and no matter where you are, you will have nothing to fear. - Baron Humbert von Gikkingen

Comment

Originally posted by teishabee
      I wasnt calling witchcraft itself a religion, The website did that.

It was trying to describe older religions predating wicca, which most likely involve witchcraft as a practice.
      Raven Grimassi's books look at that, as do C. G. Leland's. It looks like most of these types of religions based on witchcraft existed in Italy. Witchcraft in the UK seems to be more of the cunning man and wise woman type -- it's more of a craft than a religion.

Ben Gruagach
      MysticWicks forum guide in "Paths: Wicca", "Books" and "History"
      author of The Wiccan Mystic: Exploring a Magickal Spiritual Path
      visit my website at http://www.witchgrotto.com
      read my LiveJournal blog
      find me on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Gruagach
        Witchcraft itself is not a religion -- but it is very possible to make a witchcraft system that is an actual religion. Wicca is a perfect example.

It's a mistake though to assume that all witchcraft is Wicca. And it's still wrong if we substitute any of the specific systems calling themselves "traditional witchcraft" (or whatever they call their denominations) for Wicca in that sentence.

You can be a witch and follow any, or no, religion. If witchcraft were inherently a specific religion that could not be true.
        I agree (I think I do at least -got a little lost with one of your point -but its early here-my mind is not awake)

But you see I don't call myself a witch or a pagan, I don't call myself anything -its a waste of time because for example I am a traditional witch -but as I live in the UK that means something different to the US. There isn't a universal language to describe things so I can't been bothered to find a name (or possible long winded sentence) to give myself -which would then make me sound like I was trying to be better than everyone else, which I'm not as there are some very wise people out there who know some who are novices and unsure of their path.
        I'd sooner discuss practises of the different groups not the name

Comment

Originally posted by SoulHealer
          But you see I don't call myself a witch or a pagan, I don't call myself anything -its a waste of time because for example I am a traditional witch -but as I live in the UK that means something different to the US. There isn't a universal language to describe things so I can't been bothered to find a name (or possible long winded sentence) to give myself -which would then make me sound like I was trying to be better than everyone else, which I'm not as there are some very wise people out there who know some who are novices and unsure of their path.
          I'd sooner discuss practises of the different groups not the name
          The problem though is that "traditional witchcraft" is used by some people to refer to a specific formalized religion that is based on witchcraft. (And to be honest I think it started in the UK -- Robert Cochrane was one of the earliest I can think of who called his denomination "traditional witchcraft" and insisted it was distinct from other forms of witchcraft like Wicca.)

It would be better if people would stop trying to use generic terms as the names of specific denominations. It is confusing, and in my mind is purposefully deceptive. It's like if I were to start up a Christian denomination and call it "Real Christianity."

Ben Gruagach
          read my LiveJournal blog
          find me on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Gruagach
            It would be better if people would stop trying to use generic terms as the names of specific denominations. It is confusing, and in my mind is purposefully deceptive. It's like if I were to start up a Christian denomination and call it "Real Christianity."
            I wish people would stop taking fairly specific terms and turning them into generic ones..... and then complaining when people attached to the more limited meaning object.
            "The facts do not change, but their order is given another dimension through another myth. They are experienced differently; they gain another tale."-James Hillman

Justice is blind. A witch is not.

Comment

I am a witch. I was born with the natural "pull" and instinct, along with a useful gift or two, to be a witch. I don't care what people say about that. I know the truth. I live it every day. I am different from everyone I know. That does not make me better, for I have lived a very lonely life. And I am anything but 'cool'. (Yes, it has been in my family sporadically for probably hundreds of years, but that doesn't help when you have no friends at school.) Yes, I practice witchcraft and yes, it is a highly Spiritual experience for me. I breath it. I eat it. I sleep it. I live it. It is so engrained in me, that I don't know how to live any other way. I am what I am. I am who I am. This is me. I go on sheer gut instinct, just as I have since I was a very young girl. There is nothing elaborate or ceremonial about me or what I do, but I get results, satisfaction, and peace of mind just the same. I believe the 'religion' of "Traditonal Witchcraft" is indeed a religion, as I understand what they are referring to by calling it one. It is a Spiritual way of life, a daily walk down a spiritual path, just as any other religion is intended to be. Of course, not everyone who practices witchcraft considers it a religion. That's ok. But, that does not mean that those of us who want to, who are deeply rooted in our spirituality, with pre-Gardinarian witchcraft as part of our daily walk, cannot consider this as our religion if we see fit to do so. I, personally, don't claim any religion, but so what if others do. If I had to claim one religion, it would be "Traditional Witchcraft". When people ask me what religion I am, I simply say this: "I claim no religion, but I am deeply Spiritual." They seem to be satisfied with this and don't ask any more questions. And, where I live, it's a darn good thing!

Comment

Originally posted by -Ember
                I wish people would stop taking fairly specific terms and turning them into generic ones..... and then complaining when people attached to the more limited meaning object.
                Care to elaborate? I'm curious what specific examples you can give.

Ben Gruagach
                read my LiveJournal blog
                find me on Facebook

Comment

Working...
                X