Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ElizabethanWitchcraftFacts

Hello everyone,
    I dont mean to be a bother but i have to make a paper in english class, a fake newspaper in Elizabethan times about witchcraft. I have been doing some research but i was wondering if any of you would have any facts or interesting information or sights about Elizabethan witchcraft. Im not fond of writting about it as if i was negative about it so im haveing an interview with a real witch explaining the misconceptions about witchcraft. Im also talking about the punnishment and basically all interesing aspects i can find,
    anything you might know would be of help.
    Thank You SO Much
    Dont Live For How Many Breaths You Take
    But for How Many Moments Take Your Breath Away...

Well Elizabeth's mother was said to be a witch -she was nearly charged with witchcraft. Technically that was before the Elizabethan era but an interesting fact you might want to research more into as it could explain Elizabeth's view on witchcraft (the fact that a witchcraft act was produced during her time)

Comment

I'm not sure about people practicing witchcraft, but there were a couple witch trials (which might be post-Elizabethan anyway) in England, much less than in Europe. The only one I can think of was Alice Kyteler. Like Kyteler, Anne Boleyn was probably characterized as a witch because she was a woman with power that people wanted to get out of the picture. Have fun researching!!
      http://www.savedarfur.org

Check out my library at LibraryThing

Comment

Originally posted by hilary.
        I'm not sure about people practicing witchcraft, but there were a couple witch trials (which might be post-Elizabethan anyway) in England, much less than in Europe. The only one I can think of was Alice Kyteler. Like Kyteler, Anne Boleyn was probably characterized as a witch because she was a woman with power that people wanted to get out of the picture. Have fun researching!!
        Anne Boleyn was Elizabeth's mother so her trial was pre-Elizabethean era (Elizabeth was only a toddler when her mother was beheaded) I think she was actually only charged with treason though (for adultery whilst being married to the king) Edit *she was charged with treason but also said to be a witch and used witchcraft to make Henry VII fall in love with her, but I dont think there was ever a formal witchcraft charge*
        Last edited by SoulHealer; April 27th, 2005, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Actually I think John Dee is from that era -maybe you should research him for a more postive angle

Comment

You could do it as a tounge in cheek, interviewing with the "they were worshiping the devil" and then point out the real reason why the person said it... like greed... I don't really know what I'm thinking ... mabye you do! lol
            Sat Bast, meryt Serqet-Aset her Yenipu-Wepwawet her HetHert-Sekhmet
            "While I dance I cannot judge,
            I cannot hate,
            I cannot seperate myself from life.
            I can only be joyful and whole.
            That is why I dance."
            --Hans Bos

Comment

Anne Boleyn was charged with witchcraft and treason just so that they could execute her quicker. It was false accusations made for political reasons.

So no real witchcraft going on.

Comment

Alice Kyteler was in Ireland. John Dee is a good suggestion, though.
                “A book must be the pick ax that shatters the frozen sea within us.”

-Franz Kafka

sigpic
                Thanks to Lilith Morgaine for the gorgeous Book Club banners! :yourock:

“For a wise, a knowing and a learned people are the least likely of any in the world to be enslaved.”
                —Samuel Webster, 1777

To change one's life:
                Start immediately.
                Do it flamboyantly.
                No exceptions.
                - William James

Check out my new place! http://baile-dragan.myminicity.com/ind/

Comment

Thank you guys so much, i didnt realize i would get a response so fast. I really want to try and incorperate that Ann Boilin fact, and i will look up John Dee. And yes i will also point out that many were false accusations.

OMG i just cant thank you guys enough for helping me out!

Comment

You're going to find very little about "real witchcraft" during the Elizabethan period. Most of the "witchcraft" of that time involved "speaking with the devil", making "flying poitions/salves/etc", "bewitching" people, and numerous other fairytales.

If there were "real witches", they were likely simple herbalists, and the "rituals" most of them practiced were probably things like calling on angels, talking to spirits, working with the Saints, etc.

Most people were pretty Catholic, you see. Not really any women with long flowing hair prancing in multi-coloured cotton gauze gowns under the moonlight.
                    "The cosmos is also within us, we're made of star stuff.
                    We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

Carl Sagan, as quoted by The Symphony of Science

Comment

Originally posted by ~AradianMoon~
                      Thank you guys so much, i didnt realize i would get a response so fast. I really want to try and incorperate that Ann Boilin fact, and i will look up John Dee. And yes i will also point out that many were false accusations.
                      I think that if an Elizabethan newspaper had published an article reminding its readers that the head of state's mother had been accused of witchcraft, the editor would very rapidly have found himself locked up in the Tower on charges of insulting the monarch. Don't go there!

An interview with John Dee is a really good idea though as he was very much in favour with the court, at least for a time. Don't forget to ask him about his Welsh origins <G>

gwyn eich byd

Ffred
                      Ticfa Tلlcenn
                      Tar muir mercenn
                      a thrي thollcenn,
                      a chrann crombcenn.

Canfaid mيchrلbud
                      a méis ي n-airthuir a thige;
                      fris-gérat a muinter uile:
                      Amén, Amén.

Comment

Thank you guys SOOOOO much i handed my paper in confidently today andim so happy to have had your help! John Dee was a bit of a bust, but i enjoyed reading about him and i found out that mathematics used to be considered a form of witchcraft. John Dee was arrested and held in jail under the charge of....calculating.
                        I thought that was interesting.
                        thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                        X