Skin walkers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skin walkers

I just read about these on about.com paranormal. They're pretty scary!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin-walker

If you do a search there are a number of threads here that talk about them. Some discussions are buried in the Shaman threads or Shape-Sifter threads.

The difficult thing about them is seperating one notion from another. Then you find which are supernatural and which are mundane.

http://mysticwicks.com/showthread.ph...ht=skin+walker

http://mysticwicks.com/showthread.ph...ht=skin+walker

http://mysticwicks.com/showthread.ph...ght=skinwalker
    Last edited by monsnoleedra; December 30th, 2009, 09:48 PM.

Comment

They just sound like shape-shifters to me, nothing to be frightened of.

:uhhuhuh:

sigpic

Comment

Just the mention of wiindigoog and yee naaldlooshii makes my skin crawl.
        JFGI

Comment

Originally posted by Winter_Witch View Post
          They just sound like shape-shifters to me, nothing to be frightened of.

:uhhuhuh:
          Actually there is quite a bit to be worried about by them. In general they will kill anyone that discovers their true identiy it's stated. They as a norm also use some darker facets of things such as human body parts and ash from them as part of their medicine. According to some research they are not only Witches according to Navajo lore but almost a cult that exists on the fringes of their society and exploit the terror they bring.

Most groups will not talk about them.

One thing is for sure they are not your run of the mill shape shifter who assumes animal form or wears animal skins to take on the characteristics of the animal.

I suppose the best thing about them is that they are normally found in the area of the Navajo reservations though other forms of them are supposed to exist on other reservations.

Comment

Most groups will not talk about them.
            :uhhuhuh: I didn't even feel very comfortable typing out those words, especially at this time of year. It's veering a bit too close to a major taboo, at least for tribes around here. Some things are better off not being discussed unless you have a really good reason.
            Last edited by Tiberias; February 19th, 2010, 02:17 PM.
            JFGI

Comment

Originally posted by Tiberias View Post
              :uhhuhuh: I didn't even feel very comfortable typing out those words, especially at this time of year. It's veering a bit too close to a major taboo, at least for tribes around here. Some things are better off not being discussed unless you have a really good reason.
              That's the general impression I've gotten about them. I've heard there are cycles but like you said somethings are better left alone.

I remember one person telling me they are like the men in black associated with UFO's. You start talking about them and it makes them come looking. Perhaps a bit dramatic but I think that is enough for now on the subject.

Comment

I live in utah, a 2 hour drive away from the fabled skin walker ranch. Weird things go down there, increased ufo activity, animal/cattle mutilations etc. Also theres a canyon called dry fork a 30 minute drive from the ranch, there's been a story floating around the Internet about some weird creatures seen up in there to. Their pale flaccid looking deals? and up dry fork, there's a smaller canyon named " Magic Canyon." it appears that the native Americans around these parts considered this to be their Bermuda triangle.

Also on skin walkers haha, sorry I got carried away. My family used to own a very popular railroad pit stop/diner along these parts. this really sickens me to tell this part, but this was back in the 60's/70's sort of deal where prejudice against native Americans was still a very real problem. My mother when she was a little girl used to sneak outside and give food to the natives that used to huddle in front of the restaurant. She told me about a very tall Navajo man who had a bowler cap on with some sort of feather stuck in the side of it. This man had told her thank you for the food and also began telling her to stay indoors for a few days, something bad was roaming around lately. She said he told her what it was but she cant pronounce it correctly?

in short, in the 2 days after that had been told to her. Her Kit fox she had raised came up missing along with her Vizsla. The horses she owned had jumped out of the pen and they spent a whole day looking before they found them.

Believe it, these people have lived here for centuries upon centuries in this country and have roamed the lands millions of times. They know what their talking about.

Comment

Wow, that's really creepy. I had never even heard of them...but I'm glad to be informed.
                  02-07-1943
                  05-19-2009
                  Papi - R.I.P.
                  I love you. Always.

Comment

Out here we've had a rash of kidnappings, and between that and "activity" stirring up, it's become a wasteland at night. NO ONE is out. People who are found out are generally regarded with a lot of suspicion, especially the white woman that pretty much everyone knows "does stuff."

Some of the locals (affiliated with various tribes) have been giving stern warnings that "they" are out "hunting" and to stay indoors. One of the few folks willing to say more than that nearly went into fits when I asked "Are 'They' the things howling at night?" and begged me not to talk about it anymore when I asked about whether or not they wear skins.

The fear is almost like some of the folk belief about the Fair Folk. You talk of them only in coded ways, otherwise you'll draw their attention and good or ill, you do not -want- that attention.

I have seen things that 100% DEFIED belief, things I refuse to accept were actually real, and things I refuse to speak of. And it seems to be I'm not the only one 'round these parts that feels that way.
                    sigpic

Comment

Not to trivialize the situation, but the warrior in me can't help but see these people as nothing more than common thugs. Mystery and fear are great tools for gangsters to keep the population in check. But it is not magick.

I don't care what dark spirit these guys are following, all magick has it's limitations. The Devil was never omnipotent, no matter how much they feared him back in the Dark Ages. Perhaps the skin-walker's magick centers around knowing which person sticks his or her head up and shares knowledge that could damage them. But in warfare, knowledge is all important. They most certainly do not want their secrets to be known, and for everybody to know the limitations of their power.

Magick is magick. We are fully capable of learning what they do, and finding ways to combat it! All it would take is to expose a few secrets that they are hiding, and more military guys with guns will come after them than what they know how to deal with! Provided of course, they actually are responsible for kidnappings and disappearances.

I'm thinking about Harry Potter, and how the Death Eaters found Harry and friends because they were the only ones brave enough to talk about Voltemort by name. I wonder if there is a real magick that senses when someone is not frightened by you, and if this is something they employ?

Not that I'm volunteering to take any of these guys on. Just saying. If there ever was a need, the way I'd go about doing it would be to rip open their spiritual smoke-screen cover, and let what they don't want exposed be found out by the authorities.
                      Tobias

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its labourers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children.

-Dwight D Eisenhower

Comment

Last edited by Tiberias; February 19th, 2010, 10:19 PM.
                        JFGI

Comment

Tiberias,

I don't know what you wrote but I had a nice long reply all typed out and as soon as I hit post it vanished and the page error'd out on me. So to me that means it's time to let this one go, so I shall.

Comment

Crap.

"They" are on to us... :hairred:

Tobias

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its labourers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children.

-Dwight D Eisenhower

Comment

I actually find the whole idea quite interesting. If anybody with the courage to kill a family member can be a skinwalker, then one would think that there are more than just a few.

Also, with regards to fear, I don't particularly see a reason to fear them. Do they commit acts of vandalism and murder just because? or is there a reason behind it? Animals NEVER kill without a definitive reason, only humans do. Therefore, why would a human who physically shifted into an animal use that as an excuse to cause pointless damage?

The way I see it, they're like wasps- if you don't bother them, they won't bother you. If somehow you hurt them, however, then they will sting back. Such is the way of all animals. Why would that change because the contherian is part human?
                              "All good things are wild and free."
                              - Henry David Thoreau

:shift:

Comment

Working...
                              X