Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mongolian Death Worm. O_O wth.
    I'll put a spell on you;
    You'll fall asleep, and I'll put a spell on you.
    And when I wake you, I'll be the first thing you see,
    And you'll realize that you love me.
    Aqualung (Strange & Beautiful)

Comment

^^ Love that name! Beware the Death Worm ... mwhahahaha.
      'Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air ...' [Ralph Waldo Emerson]

Comment

I'm interested in sea monsters in general, so I'd say Nessie. Because, you know, we still don't know what's in the deepest depths of the ocean.

However, a very close second would be the Jersey Devil. I remember watching a show about it about six or something years ago, and it's so very strange and intriguing.
        Last edited by Avalonia; April 30th, 2006, 12:47 PM.

Comment

i voted for jersey devil because it is closest to me. i would have voted for mothman but he wasn't an option.
          I DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO TELL YOU AGAIN !!

i will but i don't want to :

Comment

Originally posted by zede
            i voted for jersey devil because it is closest to me. i would have voted for mothman but he wasn't an option.
            It is up there in the form of "Owlman". The creature in question more closely resembles an owl than a moth... in fact, it was originally called owlman until some reporter decided to call it mothman after a batman character...

You don't hear too much about this cryptid these days, which is a shame because he is quite cool... but unfortunately tragedy seems to follow in its wake, so maybe it is best it is not seen.
            “If you are going through hell, keep going." ~ Winston Churchill

"If someone gets into your house, which would you rather have, a handgun or a telephone? You can call the police if you want, and they'll get there, and they'll take a picture of your dead body. But they can't get there in time to save your life. The first line of defense is you." ~ Tom Palmer

"It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights – the "right" to education, the "right" to health care, the "right" to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery – hay and a barn for human cattle." ~ Alexis De Tocquiville

Comment

Got to be the Mongolian Death Worm, just to creepy choose any other. Now I don't know much about it, but it does sound snappy.
              My Paranormal Life

Comment

(I suppose thread necromancy is appropriate for the paranormal forum. )

I can only recognize about half the critters on that list. The Mongolian Death Worm is not one of them, but I was driven - nay, compelled - to vote for that one, because nothing with a name like that can't be awesome.
                Patrick Stewart
                {Historian|Writer|Memeticist|Artist|Transhumanist|Blogger} {in}errant
                Homo sum: humani nil alienum a me puto
                "Every generation has the obligation to free men's minds for a look at new worlds... to look out from a higher plateau than the last generation." - Ellison S. Onizuka
                "The scorn of Nazis is a benediction." - Little Billy
                "Squick is not a valid moral compass." - Chamelaeon

Did I really just attack you?

Today's Logical Fallacy: Appeal to Consequences

Comment

i'm from Jersey....three guesses on my fav...hehe.

And i've got a good story about that too, but.... "I'll never tell"....:hahugh:
                  "If there's a Heaven up above I know
                  she's teaching angels how to love"
                  ~ R. Kelly....and me
                  Love you, mom....

"I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies; for the hardest victory is over self." --- Aristotle

"Friendship is the beginning of love; love is the beginning of life."
                  ~Source Unknown

"And our scars remind us, that the past is real, I tear my heart open....just to feel..." ~ Papa Roach

"Yeah, I think I'll have more luck with the girl if I'm drunk, cause a drunk me is like a sober you"
                  ~ one of my co-workers

MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/cheshireeyes

"*shakes head* Without CE there would be no reason to drop by MW!:hahugh:" ~~~ lowlinora
                  http://www.mysticwicks.com/showpost....&postcount=114

Comment

Thread necromancy can be cool... I missed this thread the first time.

I don't recognize quite a few of the critters on the list either. I'd never even heard/read the term "Cryptids". But my ex swore he saw Big Foot a couple of different times.

The first time he was in high school, out with a group of other guys down along the river at the south end of town (Hutchinson Kansas). They saw some saplings that were snapped in half, kinda marking a path or something. They also saw some big footprints. Then they heard a noise like nothing they had ever heard before and took off running back to where they left their car.

The guy at the back of the group felt something whack him in the back, knocking him off his feet. My ex turned back to help him up and saw a large shape moving away. When they got home they saw a huge muddy handprint on the back of the shirt on the guy who got knocked down. At least twice as big as anyone in the group when they put their hands next to it to compare.

The last time my ex saw Big Foot was about 5 years later. He was working for a farm machinery manufacturer along the same river but a couple of miles upstream of the first sighting. He worked second shift so it was around midnight when he and a coworker were both out on fork lifts moving stuff from stacks in the lot into the plant, when they heard shouting coming from one the houses nearby.

They headed that way to see what was wrong and the headlights on their fork lifts picked out a very large shape running very fast long the river bank. The other guy peeled off and tried to chase the man-shaped figure but couldn't catch it even though a fork lift can go up to 30 mph. The police showed up soon after and warned them not to talk to anyone about what they had seen. Whatever or whoever it was had broken into the back door of a house and stolen a fresh baked pie that was cooling on the kitchen table.

Comment

Oh for the love of Pete.

Annnyyway... I voted "other". I'd like to see Dragons. I think they existed in one form or another, at one point or another, though I doubt sincerely that they do now.

But, y'know, a dinosaur-like creature sure seems to be very close to a dragon. There's no reason there couldn't have been a handful surviving into Early Man's time enough to generate the legends. At least, that's what the kid in me hopes. :hahugh:
                      "The cosmos is also within us, we're made of star stuff.
                      We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

Carl Sagan, as quoted by The Symphony of Science

Comment

Originally posted by Sequoia View Post
                        Oh for the love of Pete.

Annnyyway... I voted "other". I'd like to see Dragons. I think they existed in one form or another, at one point or another, though I doubt sincerely that they do now.

But, y'know, a dinosaur-like creature sure seems to be very close to a dragon. There's no reason there couldn't have been a handful surviving into Early Man's time enough to generate the legends. At least, that's what the kid in me hopes. :hahugh:
                        Ancient Babylonians documented the existence of Dragons, and I think during Caesar's campaign in Gaul it was recorded their caravan was attacked by one...

Maybe it was just something the scribes made up to make the tale more interesting to citizens back in Rome, but it also could have been something. We're talking a few thousand years ago, and things were around back then that aren't around anymore. I doubt Dinosaurs lived into recorded history, but maybe the Romans and Babylonians and other cultures were witnessing a few of them weird giant mammals that lived until quite recently.

"If someone gets into your house, which would you rather have, a handgun or a telephone? You can call the police if you want, and they'll get there, and they'll take a picture of your dead body. But they can't get there in time to save your life. The first line of defense is you." ~ Tom Palmer

"It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights – the "right" to education, the "right" to health care, the "right" to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery – hay and a barn for human cattle." ~ Alexis De Tocquiville

Comment

It says I've already voted in the poll but it's been so long I can't remember what I voted for...but "reptillian humanoid" has always been close to my Carolina heart. Gotta love Lizardman!
                          Old thread necromancy rocks!

Thank You, CloakofStars9 and WynnJera for the beautiful banners!

Get off your butt....Rescue a mutt!!
                          It's time to scat...Save a cat!!
                          Visit Your Local Pound or Rescue!

Comment

Originally posted by Sequoia View Post
                            Always loved dragons. I've always said if dragons never existed, they should have!
                            Another possibility is that ancient people stumbled across dinosaur skeletons and footprints and, having no knowledge of fossilization, assumed they were the remains of a creature recently dead. It's a pretty good explanation, even though I want dragons to be real.

In the deepest recesses of my soul, though, I can't help but hope that somehow, somewhere, there be dragons.
                            "I would rather make the gravest of mistakes than surrender my own judgement." -- Cora Munroe in Last of the Mohicans

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -- Conan the Barbarian in "Tower of the Elephant" by Robert E. Howard

"Moral outrage has little effect on a cat." -- Garrison Keillor

"There aren't many problems than can't be fixed
                            with $700 and a .30-06." -- Jeff Cooper. Or maybe it was his daughter Lindy. I can't remember.

Comment

Hurrah for thread necromancy! It liiives!

I voted Ogopogo...
                              evil shaman turned into demonic lake monster, can't be beat.

Plus, he's local

Comment

Originally posted by Valnorran View Post
                                Another possibility is that ancient people stumbled across dinosaur skeletons and footprints and, having no knowledge of fossilization, assumed they were the remains of a creature recently dead. It's a pretty good explanation, even though I want dragons to be real.
                                Fossils probably form the basis for many myths and legends. Ancient Greeks may have came up with Cyclops from observing Mammoth skulls with their large nose cavity and assumed that was a single eye.

They perhaps also created the myth of Medusa from the fact the bones of some creatures had literally turned to stone.

Originally posted by Valnorran View Post
                                In the deepest recesses of my soul, though, I can't help but hope that somehow, somewhere, there be dragons.
                                Somewhere in this universe such creatures probably exist. Either as flesh and blood animals, or as some supernatural beings.

Comment

Working...
                                X