Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 of Swords
    replied
    Chupacabra has my vote! Goat sucker FTW!

And why no Mothman?!? I went to school just across the river from Point Pleasant WV, Mothman has a statue downtown! How many other creatures can claim that?!?!

(Well actually most of them, but that's not the point!) :bigblue:

Leave a comment:

• DiscordianKitten
    replied
    NESSIE! I would give my right arm to see Nessie. Preferably not literally - i wouldn't want Nessie to actually rip off my right arm.

Leave a comment:

• ~Runa~
    replied
    I voted Yeti. This is not only because I'm fascinated by large mysterious beasts unknown to science, but also because of the fun I've had on computer games. In "Quake" for instance, there was a Yeti type monster on there. There are also similar creatures in the game "Rune".

Leave a comment:

• Daecon
    replied
    Originally posted by Laisrean View Post
    I think my favorite one is Mothman because it seems to be a supernatural creature.
    All the weird stuff is interrelated, cryptids, UFOs, ghosts etc. For example, while Bigfoot is usually assumed to be an ordinary (albeit rare) animal, it's been reported a number of times with aliens, sometimes as research material along with humans, and sometimes being used apparently as slave labor. In addition, if Bigfoot and the Yeti are related, then another member of the family would be the Wild Man of the Wood AKA the Green Man of Celtic and Medieval art.

Aliens and elves are nearly interchangeable. Reports of one are easily mistaken for the other. The famous Night Under the Hill story (exemplified by the tale of Rip Van Winkle) is common to many cultures. An overnight stay in the Faerie lands that lasts a hundred years, is exactly what you'd expect to happen in a UFO traveling at time-dilating relativistic speeds. As for old Rip, himself, the Washington Irving story claimed that the little men weren't aliens or elves, but ghosts. Specifically, the spirits of Henry Hudson's crew.

Leave a comment:

• Gaudior
    replied
    Nessie and the thunderbird!

Leave a comment:

• TygerTyger
    replied
    I voted Nessie because it's the closes to where I live, only several hundred miles, and I like pleisiosaurs!

Leave a comment:

• Mysterious Willow
    replied
    I voted other because I couldn't choose just one. My first one was Nessie but after I started learning about all the others then it just grew and I couldn't pick after that.

Leave a comment:

• SolitaryScholar
    replied
    My favorite has to be the Thylacine, because it's the only one that has a pretty legitimate chance of being found. We know that they existed in the past, and there's a chance that they exist to this day but are hard to find.

Even revered biologists and scientists have accepted the slim chance of there being a small group of them left in Tasmania. There are sightings all the time, of them.

I love tazzie tigers.

Leave a comment:

• Rosetta Morrigan
    replied
    Nessie has always fascinated me...I'd love to go to Scottland sometime to watch for her...

Leave a comment:

• forestrangergrrl
    replied
    i chose 'other' since i find all of them fascinating. i've always been interested in cryptozoology and have often wondered what it would be like to study and try to prove/disprove the existance of cryptids and figure out what animals mythological creatures came from.

Leave a comment:

• Laisrean
    replied
    Originally posted by HedwigHarfang View Post
    Mothman is a rogue spirit of someone's cartoon character who has gone spare and roams about the time-space continuum frightening the hell out of people. Given that he looks more like a "super-owl" I suspect he is the product of some feverish imagination in recent years than an ancient deity.
    Is that him in your avatar? :weirdsmil

Leave a comment:

• HedwigHarfang
    replied
    Originally posted by FaerieGothMommy View Post
    Great poll!

I voted for Loch Ness monster, just because theres so many reportings and even photos, and i've always found it interesting to read about.
    But i also think Mothman is extremley interesting, i'd like to learn more about the mothman.
    Mothman is a rogue spirit of someone's cartoon character who has gone spare and roams about the time-space continuum frightening the hell out of people. Given that he looks more like a "super-owl" I suspect he is the product of some feverish imagination in recent years than an ancient deity.

Most of the others are possibly homesick spirits who passed over years ago or even millennia ago and never reincarnated; Nessie certainly is as she couldn't have existed so long without there having been a breeding colony and obvious evidence of her existence apart from a few sightings of her shadowy form in the depths of photographs. I have never been into wandering about looking for clues on the shores of Loch Ness, they would assume I'm up to something else BUT I know people who do investigate things like UFOs and so on once they switch on and find out what they really are.

Leave a comment:

• VioletJadeWolf
    replied
    Chupacabras are pretty cool.

Leave a comment:

• Moonlight's Daughter
    replied
    My theory is that these exist but in other planes and sometimes depending on the time of year or just your natural ability you step between worlds for a minute and are able to see them.

Leave a comment:

• Laisrean
    replied
    Originally posted by Valnorran View Post
    Another possibility is that ancient people stumbled across dinosaur skeletons and footprints and, having no knowledge of fossilization, assumed they were the remains of a creature recently dead. It's a pretty good explanation, even though I want dragons to be real.
    Fossils probably form the basis for many myths and legends. Ancient Greeks may have came up with Cyclops from observing Mammoth skulls with their large nose cavity and assumed that was a single eye.

They perhaps also created the myth of Medusa from the fact the bones of some creatures had literally turned to stone.

Originally posted by Valnorran View Post
    In the deepest recesses of my soul, though, I can't help but hope that somehow, somewhere, there be dragons.
    Somewhere in this universe such creatures probably exist. Either as flesh and blood animals, or as some supernatural beings.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X