This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to use Astrodienst/Astro.com

So I was thinking about this last night, and I realized we’re always sending people off to www.astro.com (Astrodienst) to get charts, but never once have we told them how to use it!

First off, it’s pronounced ahs’tro’dee’nst, for all of you who were wondering. (It means 'Astro Service'; 'dienst' is the German). Now that we’ve got that out of the way . . .

Really Basic
    When you get there, you want to go to the ‘Free Horoscopes’ link at the top. (See attached image)

From here you have a lot of choices. If you simply want to find out what your rising sign or what house your Moon is in, go to ‘Chart Drawing, Ascendant.” That’ll give you a down and dirty image. You can also grab additional information like planetary declinations or aspects by going to the “additional tables” link. (See attached image)

A Little Deeper
    The interactive horoscopes can be fun if you want to see how each part of your ‘scope relates to the other. Click on the different parts of the chart and descriptions will come up in the floating box. (See attached image) The short statements are still very general however . . .

Down the Rabbit Hole
    Extended Chart Selection is the page where I spend most of my time. There’s a lot to take in, but that’s because this has nearly everything the novice astrologer could want and some pros too! (See attached image)

You’ll default to Astrodienst Round. ‘Pullen/Astrolog’ will give a chart like what comes out of the Astrolog program – functional, but not always pretty; ‘Astrodienst Special’ gives you such things as declination charts (the football looking ones), astrocartography and graphical ephemeredes.

1: Use the pull down box to select the profile you want a chart for. To compare two people, you need to put a name in the ‘partner’ box.

2. Select the chart type (natal, synastry, progressed, etc)

3. 'Web default style' is almost always appropriate for a basic natal chart. Play with the other options if you wish.

4. House system: only change this if you know what you’re doing. Most natal charts are cast with the Placidus or Koch systems (‘default’ is Placidus).

5. Additional objects can be included, such as asteroids, hypothetical points, Arabic parts and such. The default chart will show the 10 planets.

6. Here is where you can set some of the less used options:
    § Always use True Node – Lunar Node positions are usually averaged. This forces it to be exact.
    § Always use day formula for Pars Fortunae: Back in the day this part was calculated the same whether the chart was an AM or PM birth. These days it's changed. But you can still relive the old days!
    § Aspect lines to all: draws bolder aspect lines in the chart diagram
    § Add some fixed stars: Shows any fixed stars that aspect planets or points in your chart (usually just by conjunction or opposition)
    § Topocentric: use coordinates based on the Earth’s surface as opposed to the center of the planet
    § Draw no aspect lines: exactly what it sounds like
    § Additional asteroids or "hypothetical" planets: these each have a code, like h333 or 2867, and a link to the list is provided. See below
    § List of over 10000 named asteroids: that asteroid belt is pretty populated
    § List of "hypothetical" planets: access the Uranian planets here, among others

7. If you prefer using a sidereal chart instead of the standard tropical, you can access those settings here. The drop down box allows you to pick your ayanamsa (if you don’t know what that is, choose Fagan/Bradley). WARNING: a sidereal chart, whether heliocentric or geocentric will not match your regular or tropical chart. That’s on purpose. Don’t mess with this setting if unless you REALLY need to.

8. If you choose any charts based on a second date (transits, progressions, returns), you need to enter the second reference point here. If you were born January 1, 1990 and want to progress your chart to March 24, 2006, you enter the latter date in the box and the computer will calculate the rest.

Voila, the down and dirty how-to.

There is a LOT more to discover on this site. Go back out and click on some more of the free horoscope options. There's lots to keep you entertained!
    Last edited by KEishin; August 7th, 2006, 04:52 PM.
    Astrology Forum Guide- Do you know YOUR planets?
    Certified Astrologer - AMAFA - through the American Federation of Astrologers

Very nice, KEishin. Thanks .

Comment

Thanks KEishin!

I had been meaning to go there because I am interested in Astrology, but was a little confused at what to do-I had loads of fun finding out alot of useful info!
      :hahugh:
      ♡ ~*Love, Passion & Peace*~ ♡

"The hardest thing in this world, is to live in it. Be brave, live"-Buffy-Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Comment

Brilliant overview, thanks Keishin!

If anyone is still stuck and you'd like step by step instructions on drawing a basic chart (not the extra bits and pieces Keishin mentioned, though), I've got a step by step tutorial on my site here:

http://www.chrismitchell.bristolastr...ne_charts.html

Comment

KEishin added: Always use day formula for Pars Fortunae: Back in the day this part was calculated the same whether the chart was an AM or PM birth. These days it's changed. But you can still relive the old days!

Ok, now I see why mine chenged! Back in the early 90's when I had my first chart done , my POF was Gemini in the 12th house. Now it's Cancer in the 1st.

BTW, thanks for adding this. It will be helpful for so many.

Comment

Exactly. The standard formula these days is for day births: Ascendant + Moon - Sun; night births: Fortune = Ascendant + Sun - Moon. but it used to be ALWAYS done the day way.
            Astrology Forum Guide- Do you know YOUR planets?
            Certified Astrologer - AMAFA - through the American Federation of Astrologers

Comment

Originally posted by KEishin
              Exactly. The standard formula these days is for day births: Ascendant + Moon - Sun; night births: Fortune = Ascendant + Sun - Moon. but it used to be ALWAYS done the day way.
              Bernadette Brady maintains the single formula was as a result of ancient Greek sexism!

The Greek Lots (where we derive Arabic Parts from) all have two formulae - one for day, and a reversed one for night. Ptolemy, however, didn't like the idea of "downgrading" the obvious male entity (the Sun) at night, and giving power to the female entity (the Moon). The Greek view was that the Sun is more important than the Moon - and of course that men were more important, and more "perfect", than women. For this reason, the Lot of Fortune *had* to be solar only, to fit in with the Greek view of male/female. Ptolemy appears to be the only ancient authority who insisited on not switching day time and night time formulae.

Now, it may be that Brady is being unnecessarily unkind to Ptolemy; English translations of Ptolemy certainly make it look as though he's insistent that the formula applies *by night or by day*, but I found this very interesting comment by Rob Hand:

The reason why most people who are born at night have been given the wrong Part of Fortune is that most of the modern authorities have used the day formula for night births! This is because one ancient authority, Ptolemy, seemed to advocate doing all charts with the day formula. We are now fairly certain from our new translation of Ptolemy and his ancient commentators that he did not intend this. Most other ancient sources advocated using the day formula for day births and the night formulas for night and so did the medieval astrologers. And these people knew what to do with the Part of Fortune.

(bold is mine - the full site is http://astrologix.de/artikel/rhand/rpof1.htm)

Comment

it might be nitpicky but...when I used it to do my chart it wouldn't accept the town I was born in, didn't know it, had no obvious way to enter lat and long either. I could get it to accept Buffalo NY but Buffalo is 55 miles north east of where I was born and I just want it accurate. Any ideas on how to get it to either find my town or accept the entry of coordinates? (I have AstrolDL so I have a chart...I was just curious)

Comment

Working...
                X