X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to astrology

Hello all,

I am in need of some advise and help here. I would like to learn more about astrology. Right now I have one book it is the blue book called "The Only Astrology Book you will ever need". I would like to get another book that is more indepth. I do have a chart done but it is a basic one. I have done some reading on the COT astrology class and got lost fast. That also seems not to be active anymore.

I also did read here the stickys which is why I am asking for help. There are terms there I have not heard of in relation to astrology. I do not know much very little really. Is there a basic class online? Also should I be looking into software or is the online chart sites good enough?

:cheers:
    akewa

Originally posted by akewa
    I am in need of some advise and help here. I would like to learn more about astrology. Right now I have one book it is the blue book called "The Only Astrology Book you will ever need". I would like to get another book that is more indepth. I do have a chart done but it is a basic one.
    That's a good start. Reading things in a book is a great way to start learnng, but seeng them*apply* in your chart, along with reading said book, helps even more. There have been a couple of "book list" posts, but I can't seem to find them at the moment. Perhaps some of the other folks here will jump in with their favs.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the "Only Way to Learn Astrology" series, by Marion March and Joan McEvers, published by ACS. At $15 US each, they're quite affordable. Steven Forrest's 'Inner Sky", "Astrology: Classic Guide To Understanding Your Horoscope" by Ronald Davison, "Spiritual Astrology" by Myrna Loftus, "Secrets From a Stargazer's Notebook" by Debbi Kempton-Smith and Donna Cunningham's "How to Read Your Astrological Chart" are also high on my list. (The last one is especially good to help you learn to *interpret* and not just cut and paste form the "cookbook" type of astrology books.

I have done some reading on the COT astrology class and got lost fast. That also seems not to be active anymore.
    It is still active, albeit at a crawl. Valkie, who's teaching it, is having some major RL stuff she's also juggling. She assures me the class will continue! :D

I also did read here the stickys which is why I am asking for help. There are terms there I have not heard of in relation to astrology. I do not know much very little really. Is there a basic class online? Also should I be looking into software or is the online chart sites good enough?
    If you didn't find or totally comprehend what terms you were looking for here, I probably should add/clarify them. Anything in particular you wanted to know? No question is too silly - chances are if you've wondered it so have other people, too shy to ask.

Don't despair - it is a LOT to learn at first. But like anything else, practice really does help. Other than the CoT here, I can't think of any *free* online classes off the top of my head. For a fee you can find some rather good ones online - http://www.astrodatabank.com/AstrologyCourses.htm. Software is a great help until you know enough to cast charts by hand, but my recommendation is skip the expensive software for now. You don't need to buy a software package when first learning in order to get great quality charts. I currently use Astrolog32, which is a free, open-source program with almost all the features of the big boys. http://uk.geocities.com/astrolog32/ is the download site and there is a Yahoo Group that discusses its usage. The ubitquious Astrodienst
    is the king of free astrology chart generators and is much more intuitive than Astrolog. There's a post on how to use it here.

If I didn't answer anything fully, or if you have other questions, please let repy. (I love to talk about astrology anyway, so it's no bother. Stop me if I talk your ear off. )
    - Keishin
    Last edited by KEishin; December 18th, 2006, 04:53 PM.
    Astrology Forum Guide- Do you know YOUR planets?
    Certified Astrologer - AMAFA - through the American Federation of Astrologers

Comment

Hi KEishin,

I will be happy to pick your brain. First question how many different types of western astrology are there? I gather so far there is a least 2 the more comon and the uranian. I also have heard some refer to old and new but I gather that is anceint and modern.

Comment

bravo, keishin ... as always ... my 2 cents ... and yes, i love to talk about it as much as she does ...

on the types of astrology ... well, if you listen to the 'experts' there are only a few kind, but i personally believe that there are as many kinds as there are astrologers ... but that may be a discussion for another day, if you want to know my complete philosophy on how you understand the symbols of astrology, past lives, and the whole 9 yards ...

finally, for many years, the 'mundane' and 'psychological' astrology in western astrology has been it ... now there's a new term being thrown around, and *sometimes* it mostly closely describes my approach with astrology ... they are calling it 'evolutionary astrology' ... there are supposed to be a couple of 'experts' that are being heralded as the definers of this type of astrology, which is fine ... but i just started learning astrology and ended up doing evoluntionary astrology without going to anyone's school or taking a lesson. dane rudyard is one of the 'leaders' in the evolutionary astrology philosophies.

i started in astrology via numerology and sacred geometry, and i use my own understanding of charts ... i use both tropical and sidereal zodiacs (something most astrologers really get their panties in a bundle about) .... i disagree with things in books that the 'experts' write, and use my own understanding and integration of the symbols and meanings. although i've had several 'teachers' ... they have all said for me to go it alone ... they give me direction but never instruction ... everyone is different and if you are interested in a more formal training, there is keplar university up in washington state that is the only accredited college in the united states that offers in depth and degrees in astrology -- all completely coming from the standard western psychological or mundane schools of astrology.

i would add my 2 cents on the books ...

i like stephen arroyo ... he has a great introductory book to astrology, karma & transformation, as well as a basic chart interpretation book and a book on the the elements ...

i HIGHLY recommend robert hand's book on astrological symbols ... a bit text bookish, but gives all the basics and then keeps going and going and going ... i still use it and learn something new and profound, and even stuff over my head every time i re-read any section ... lots of depth.

i like and use robert pelletier's book on aspects ... although for me now, his synopsis of the planetary aspects are bit shallow and based in the mundane (albeit way more advanced and detailed than any 'the only way to learn astrology' book), they give a great basis for any understanding of any major planetary aspect.

and then there's 'your' books ... finding cool things about your chart and find the 'specialty' book on them ... whether you have a strong neptune influence (maurice fernandez has a great new book on neptune), or saturn (i suggest erin sullivan's book on saturn ... in fact, i recommend all of erin's books when you are ready for her!). if you have a particularly interesting aspect or lots of retrograde planets, get a book to understand whatever makes your chart interesting to you and go from there!

there's so many fun and interesting aspects, whatever and wherever you start, the journey is intriguing and wonderful .. be patient with yourself and don't worry about memorizing all the stuff, look it up as you need to, the memorization and understanding of all the jargon and symbols come naturally.
        Last edited by business voodoo; August 3rd, 2006, 02:23 AM.
        peace & harmony,
        elaine
        'freedom must be exercised to stay in shape!'
        ... visit my blog ... business voodoo

**** LISTEN TO THE sideREAL world ***
        Now available on PodCast
        next LIVE show on SATURDAY ... 17 MARCH 2K7
        5:30 P.M. PST
        "On Da Moon"

"as long as the youth of the world is taught what to think instead of how to think, liberation from ignorance - the problem of the era - will not be achieved." manley p. hall

... do you want to hear some good music ...

sigpichttp://www.blogtalkradio.com/blackpantyhoes

Comment

First question how many different types of western astrology are there? I gather so far there is a least 2 the more comon and the uranian. I also have heard some refer to old and new but I gather that is anceint and modern.
          Western astrology can be broken down into nine main types, in no order of importance. (Only the order they occurred to my mind :D )

1. Uranian - a system that believes in several conceptual planets beyond the orbit of Neptune that affect us. As well they developed the system of midpoints, which figures what the exact middle point between two planets would be and uses that to make predictions.

2. Renaissance/Medieval/Traditional - basically, astrology from the past, before the "Modern Age". It's a bit more scientific (a subjective judgement) than modern astrology, which leaves much up to interpretation. There are very firm rules about what each planet means and how it should be applied. This is what is thought of when people talk about the 'court astrologer' predicting the success of a battle based on a comet or eclipse. It is a very complex system and the progenitor of the "pop" astrology of today. There is really very little intuition use in this form of astrology. Horary and electional are truly subsets of this more ancient form of astrology.

3. Natal/Psychological - taking the positions of the planets at your birth and developing a picture of your personality. Your natal chart never changes during your lifetime. This type is very symbolic and intuitive and uses many Jungian concepts.

4. Predictive type 1: Progressions/transits - a way of recalculating your natal chart to predict events that will likely happen to you in the future. Progressions are more internal and developmental, and use the method "a year for a day" where one day in the sky equals what will happen in one year of your life. Progressions use the planet positions from your date of birth to approximately the next 90 days (or 3 months), as 90 years is an average lifespan. Dane Rudyhar (famous astrologer) had a lovely way of explaining it - to paraphrase, he said that while 12 months equals one solar year; the human child has a gestation of 9 months. This gestation is the development of the body while the 3 months after birth is the development of the soul which gets us to the full 12 months of a year.

Transits compare the positions of the planets at any particular moment to those in your natal chart. So you can have Saturn in Virgo in your natal chart but Saturn in Leo (its current location) affecting your chart too. How it affects it depends on what you might have aspecting Saturn in Leo.

5. Synastry - relationship astrology, for both romantic persons and non in your life. You can do a chart to find out if you and your current sweetie are compatible or if you and your boss will get along.

6. Horary/Electional - the first answers yes/no questions and the second predicts the best time to perform a certain activity. So horary can be used to ask everything from 'where are my car keys?' to "am I going to get into xxx university?' Electional works best to predict what the best day to get married or travel to another country might be.

7. Mundane - horoscopes for larger entities such as countries, wars or other world events. You can then use that chart like any other natal chart and predict what will happen to them by transit and progression.

8. Esoteric - in brief this is soul-level astrology. It uses natal charts to find out things about the spiritual development and challenges of a person. It's very different from all the other types and may seem a bit off the deep end at first.

9. Predictive type 2: Medical, economic, meteorological, relocation, vocational, etc - this last general grouping does pretty much what it sounds like. This is where one can look at a horoscope to predict what could happen to the weather, their health, the economy, etc and so forth. This is certainly not the most exhaustive list of these types of astrology - there are many more I'm sure I'm forgetting.

I think that's all the main types.
          Last edited by KEishin; August 3rd, 2006, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Wow

Thank You both that is just what I wanted. Keshin that post should be a sticky. When reading the glossary of terms I got lost with all the refeances to the other forms and that post helped alot.

Out of all the books listed I have never seen any of them but then again I have never really look anywhere but the local new age store. Thank You BV for that list. Guess a visit to amazon is in order there. :hahugh:

Ok now do all these systems use the same starting base or are the different entirly? What is tropical and sidereal zodiacs?

Comment

Ok now do all these systems use the same starting base or are the different entirly? What is tropical and sidereal zodiacs?
              I'll start with the latter question. Tropical astrology bases the positions of the signs off where they were located several thousand years ago, when the system was first developed. Sidereal (star) astrology uses the current positions of the constellations as the boundaries of the signs. What makes it confusing is that the signs have the same name as the constellations that inspired them. If we called the sign of Aries 'Bob' instead, there would be no confusion with the constellation of Aries. (Imagine how funny it would be to say 'I've got 3 planets in Bob.' Sounds mildly vulgar . . . :hahugh: )

Western Astrology is based on the Tropical Zodiac which starts at 0 Aries, the indicator of the spring equinox, otherwise called the Aries Point. Sidereal Astrology followers argue that the starting point of the zodiac isn't there anymore due to the precession of the equinox, meaning that the point where spring begins moves backwards at about 50 seconds each year. Over thousands of years this has worked up to about 24 degrees of slippage, called the ayanamsa, which is a Hindu word for the phenomenon. Astrologers can use the ayanamsa (of which there are several accepted versions) to switch from one system to another by subtracting the difference from the tropical system. One particular style of astrology, called Jyotish (the Hindu system) uses the sidereal zodiac exclusively. That means if I say the Sun is in Aries, they are likely to look at the same Sun and tell me it's in Pisces.

In brief it can be said that sidereal tracks constellation positions whereas tropical tracks sections of the sky. In one way it seems the tropical zodiac is tied to the sun, the core of our solar system, whereas sidereal ties us to the universe and the other stars - a point not to be overlooked, but less relevant for our daily life.

Without getting into if one system is better than the other, I can say with experience that each are equally valid when used appropriately. I've found that the tropical zodiac works best for natal charts whereas sidereal works best for some of the types of predictions. But I know Elaine is a siderealist, so perhaps she'll speak up on the subject. (The uses of sidereal vs tropical is high on my list of 'how to start an astrologer fistfight' :hahugh: )

As far as whether or not sidereal astrology uses similar types to the tropical folks, I'm not entirely sure. I do know that Jyotish has many of the same, with a few additions - phonetical astrology which predicts based on sounds and names, plus a special type of astrology just for women (obviously culturally biased in origin).

Comment

Ok I think I got a handle on the differnances there. I ran into a vedic site which explained the idea behind sidereal.

As far as school goes I would have to take either online or correspondence. I live in east tn and traveling out of state is not a reality for me. I have run into alot of UK schools/collages but I think I will just stay with the basics for now. Thanks for the links I have learned alot in a very short time.

It is easy to see how all of this can overwhelm a person. So many differnet schools of thought and specialites. Gads and to think to most of us astrology is just your sun sun.

Comment

It is easy to see how all of this can overwhelm a person. So many differnet schools of thought and specialites. Gads and to think to most of us astrology is just your sun sun.
                  I know! Every time I hear that 'astrology is just your sun sign' I just laugh. Those people have NO idea!

I'm glad we could help. Best of luck in your studies . . . don't hesitate to come back and ask questions either. I know everyone benefits from them.

Comment

Hello all,

I am in need of some advise and help here. I would like to learn more about astrology. Right now I have one book it is the blue book called "The Only Astrology Book you will ever need".
                    LIES!!! all lies!!! Sorry, had to bought that book, read it, was very disappointed with it.
                    I would like to get another book that is more indepth. I do have a chart done but it is a basic one.
                    There's a book out there called A to Z astrology, it's one of the better ones.
                    I have done some reading on the COT astrology class and got lost fast. That also seems not to be active anymore.
                    Sooooo my bad, RL has been juggling a lot lately. I would love it if you could PM me with what it was that you got lost with. What I've put up so far, I've tried to make it easier to follow (I say 'easier' because nothing in astrology is 'easy') but I haven't really gotten much feed back. Most of the class seemed to have disappeared within the first month. I know that there are people who still go in to read, that's the main reason why I've keep posting... even though it is a bit sporatic.

Personally, I don't think that any one class will cut it. As the others have pointed out, there are many different kinds of astrology, but there is a lot of information out there. With just learning, you may want to check out Bob Mark's (I think that was his name... Redrose posted one of his links in the Yod thread) site. He's got a basic astrology course that's free.
                    Valerie

thanks Faeawyn for the banner
                    astrology forum guide

... don't say I didn't warn you.
                    ------This is my adopted smilie, I found him passed out on the floor.

How can you say that a oak is more beautiful than an elm, or the mountians more beautiful than the ocean? Everything from the Goddess is beautiful in its own way, but not everyone is going to see the beauty. Don't spend your lives being the mountian that longs to be the ocean.

owner of Random Quote 1419

Comment

Ok I think I got a handle on the differnances there. I ran into a vedic site which explained the idea behind sidereal.
                      ... and just to mess with you even more ... i use sidereal charts without using the vedic system ...

... and although i have integrated many vedic principles and use many aspects of the vedic system, i use those same principles when i look at tropical charts as well as the sidereal ...

the more you understand about how you understand the various principles of astrology, the more you will breathe astrology the way you are designed to just know it from ages past and future for this present. a study of your own personal mercury, where if falls in the stage of its progression and retrogression, and its the prometheus versus the epimethean stages of mercury (discussed by joanne wickenburg in 'your hidden powers, intercepted signs and retrograde planets' ... which did a great job of explaining some of dane rudhyar's more obtuse notions on mercury) ... may help you understand how you understand the information you are taking in on astrology.

i remember that until i really got a grip on what joanne was teaching, i was trying so hard to learn astrology, rather than just remember it and know it. i was so busy trying to understand it "their" way, that i just didn't know it the way i understood it. after i understood more and more about how i understand, know and learn things, the freer i became to just being an open channel for the information to come in and ... most importantly for any professional astrologer ... to get out, in as pure a form as possible.

worrying about all the things you are 'supposed' to know and remember, and how its 'supposed' to be with mercury in virgo in the 2nd house, opposing saturn ... and just allowing all those factoids about mercury to be stripped away and not forgotten, because they are never forgotten, but seen in the totality of their factoids and the energy of the person ... that only you can do ... and no one can really teach you how to do that. its up to you to free yourself to allow the information to freely exercise your unique abilities and techniques and wisdom to bring the chart into context in that moment.

awe the puzzles of the galaxies ... and we are basically only dealing with one little incey, bitty bit of one galaxy ... well some use other parts of the galaxy as well ... but its still just a nano-piece of the real puzzle ... maybe if we can bring in some 4th or 5th dimensional rules, laws and tricks, we could see even bigger chunks of the puzzle?
                      peace & harmony,
                      elaine
                      'freedom must be exercised to stay in shape!'
                      ... visit my blog ... business voodoo

**** LISTEN TO THE sideREAL world ***
                      Now available on PodCast
                      next LIVE show on SATURDAY ... 17 MARCH 2K7
                      5:30 P.M. PST
                      "On Da Moon"

"as long as the youth of the world is taught what to think instead of how to think, liberation from ignorance - the problem of the era - will not be achieved." manley p. hall

... do you want to hear some good music ...

sigpichttp://www.blogtalkradio.com/blackpantyhoes

Comment

This is all great! :drool: The Only Astrology Book You'll Ever Need is an interesting book, but it's not one I'd recommend. It was the first Astrology book I read.

Astrology: Understanding the Birth Chart by Kevin Burk is one I recommend to practically everybody . I still use this book for reference.

Personally- I love Walter Gorn Old's (a.k.a. Sepharial) work! I've also read his books The Manual of Astrology (Basic Astrology, Astrology theories, and Hindu Astrology) and Kabalistic Astrology (an Occult method utilizing the Kabalah, Numerology, Tarot, & Astrology). I've also read his biography, The Astral Tramp by Kim Farnell.

Comment

Working...
                        X