Topic Discussion - Intercepted and Duplicated Signs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Topic Discussion - Intercepted and Duplicated Signs

(This post is copyrighted and not be reproduced without written permission)

These sound incredibly confusing and difficult but really intercepted signs don’t have to be mystifying at all. I get a lot of questions about this, so here’s the basic knowledge I’ve gleaned over time. Read on!

First, I need go into a little math and geometry to explain why they happen. You can skip this part if you wish (Though why you’d not want to know is beyond me.) It shouldn’t come as a surprise that the Earth is roughly round and is wider at the equator than at the poles. In order to figure out where one is exactly on the earth at any time, you need to plot your three-dimensional location in space. Houses (and their systems) are ways of dividing that space. Astrologers look at the ecliptic (the imaginary plane which the planets move as seen from the Earth against the backdrop of the sky) the horizon (where the sky and ground meet) the meridians (the longitude lines) and the equator (latitude line). (See the attached diagram). As each of those planes intersect, we get the different sensitive points at those intersections called by astrologers the Ascendant, Midheaven, Vertex, etc. Each of these is really a pair of points – the Ascendant can’t exist without a Descendant, or a MC without an IC. These points are the source of the cusps, or borders of each house. There are many different house systems but I’m not going to get into the formulas, benefits and drawbacks of each of them here. In short, an astrologer must find the location of the Ascendant and Midheaven before the rest of the cusp locations can be found. They take the leftover space and basically subdivide it.

Closer to the equator the AC and MC axes are more evenly spaced, but due to the distortion of the earth, as the latitude increases, the space between the AC and MC grows or shrinks dramatically. This can cause houses that are greater than 30° to appear. Since each sign is exactly 30°, this causes those wider houses to fully contain all the degrees of a pair of signs. (Like the other sensitive points, interceptions must exist in pairs.) The horoscope is symmetrical. There are twelve signs and twelve houses so there has to be one sign at the beginning of every house. In order to balance the chart there must be a pair of duplicated signs, or signs that cover more than two house cusps elsewhere in the chart. (See diagram of an intercepted chart)

Okay, the math and diagrams are done.

Intercepted signs basically are showing that the chart is out of balance. Part of its energy is locked inside a house, not on the outside where it can be active. Then the duplicated add TOO MUCH energy for a particular sign which throws things further out of balance. This makes it difficult to say the least. The person who owns the chart will find it hard, if not impossible to express the intercepted energies but extremely easy to express the duplicated signs. It helps to remember that houses show how we deal with our external life and the signs and planets with our approach to those matters. The solution to intercepted signs is to work with their dispositors and those of the duplicated signs. It makes the most sense for me to work with the signs in pairs, so I will start with the intercepted signs, and then move onto the duplicated signs.

While these signs have serious oomph in a chart, please make sure to check their dispositors and the rest of the chart to see if other indications contradict this general information.

Interceptions:

Aries/Libra: Aries is aggressive and independent, while Libra is cooperative and charming. Normally Aries likes to take action, but when intercepted will often be thwarted in its attempts. Since Pisces is on the cusp of the house containing Aries, it’s much easier for that person to spend their time dreaming about what they want to do then going and doing it. Eventually they must act and when they do . . . whoo boy. All that pent up energy simply explodes out and they give 150% in whatever they are doing, without a thought to consequences or planning. Because of this polarity, the person with intercepted Aries is often afraid to do anything, including assert themselves. “But the last time I tried, I got in trouble for working too hard.” On the other side is Libra, a sign that desires equality. So what does that mean? Well, in short there is no equality for an intercepted Libra. For example, intercepted Libra in the 4th could mean trouble being treated by their family as equals; in the 7th house it would be relationships. Since Virgo is on the cusp of the house containing Libra it very easy for that person to become the servant (Virgo is the sign of servitude) or to expect others to be their servants. It depends on the rest of the chart.

Taurus/Scorpio: Taurus is about what one values and their possessions, whereas Scorpio is about getting rid of the stuff you no longer need. When the Taurus/Scorpio axis is intercepted, this is the person who never throws anything away. With Aries on the house intercepting Taurus, it’s very easy to start things in the particular house. For example, with Taurus intercepted in the 8th, it may be very easy to go get loans, but they may not be so good about paying them back! This must mean that Scorpio is intercepted in the 2nd house, so good old ‘sweep-all-the-nasty-stuff-under-the-rug’ Libra will prefer that the things they own be pretty and stylish, so may buy and buy to feed that desire and end up going into bankruptcy. Libra loathes making a scene, so even if they’re in trouble, they’d never say anything. The Scorpio talent for confronting and ending things that no longer work is broken, so they just keep going in the negative spiral.

Gemini/Sagittarius: both of these signs are about communication and learning, and when intercepted, this is where the difficulty is felt. Gemini likes details, whereas Sagittarius is content with generalizations. The two need each other so as not to get lost in either the proverbial forest or the trees. When intercepted this natural symmetry is broken. Gemini by house will gather all sorts of useless information, and Sagittarius is unable to help this person discriminate the insignificant and the important. Taurus rules the house where Gemini is intercepted, so instead of being willing to discard useless trivia, everything is held onto and there may be a tendency to be close-minded or to insist that all ideas be tangible. Scorpio rules the house containing Sagittarius, which grounds the affairs of that house. Enthusiasm may be hard to come by as may self-expression since Scorpio prefers to play its cards close to the chest.

Cancer/Capricorn: Cancer is emotions and family, Capricorn is tradition and ambitions. Since both are cardinal signs (signs of starting) and contained in houses ruled by mutable signs (signs of communication) there is not a single problem with talking about what they plan to do, but actually doing it is another story. Gemini contains Cancer so it’s much easier to think about emotions than to actually feel them. But they emotions are still there and may come out under pressure at the oddest times. When Cancer is stressed it can be more like a temper tantrum and there may be never-ending emotional demands. Sagittarius is on the house containing Capricorn. It helps to remember that Sagittarius is like the architect, developing ideas whereas Capricorn is the general contractor who turns those plans into something tangible. Guess what that means? Yes, plans either never become reality, or more commonly, there is a serious lack of organization. When Capricorn eventually rears his horned head this person changes from the happy-go-lucky Sagittarius stereoptype to a control-freak Capricorn extreme!

Leo/Aquarius: Both of these signs want to get attention, but in different ways. Leo wants to be the darling of everyone around them, while Aquarius desires to be original and different, yet still noticed. When balanced, Aquarius’s humanitarian traits keep Leo’s ego in check and Leo prevents Aquarius from getting too out of touch with the world around them. When intercepted these two signs fly off in opposite directions. Aquarius may become a screwball nonconformist just to yank people’s chains, and Leo spends so much time primping its ego that it fails to let other people have their turn in the spotlight. Where Leo is intercepted it is difficult to get noticed. A hidden Leo is not a happy Leo. With Cancer on the cusp, for example on the 11th house, this person wants to be the center of their group of friends and have that attention, but instead gets put in the role of being the nurturing and sympathetic one and shunted to the sidelines. On the other side of the chart, Aquarius in the 5th isn’t allowed to be different since Capricorn is ruling the house. The 5th being the house of hobbies, fun and children, this person may feel forced into the traditional role of parent, or feel they have to do everything just like everyone else to be accepted. They simply desire to be normal, but Aquarius won’t stay locked away forever, so eventually it’ll pop out and they’ll rebel and shock everyone around them.

Virgo/Pisces: Another pair of mutable signs, these also deal with information and communication. Except, in their case Pisces deals with spirituality, dreams and imagination and Virgo is concerned about details, facts and figures. The two need each other to keep from being either too flighty or too grounded. Where Virgo is intercepted we have a tendency to be super-picky in the affairs of that house. That person is often seen as critical, judgmental and cynical, caring more about facts than people. Yet it can also backfire, as mutable signs tend to be two-sided. This person can attract others who seem all cheery and sunny (Leo rules the house containing Virgo) yet eventually turn into critical and demanding pains. Pisces has a similar problem with being unable to discriminate. Fantasy and reality are often one and the same, which is to say this person’s reality is more like fantasy to the rest of us. It’s easy for these people to be deceived by others (or themselves) and not understand why.

Duplicated Signs:

Aries/Libra: It’s easy for this person to take action in the areas of life where Aries is on the cusp. They find it easy to go after what they want and never hesitate in their in these areas. Libra on the opposite side offers skills in cooperating, being social and generally getting along with others.

Taurus/Scorpio: Taurus is stable, Scorpio desires control, so this is the person who gathers and accumulates resources and influence in the areas ruled by those houses. Taurus tends to own things and Scorpio will use them to influence events on the mirror-side of the chart.

Gemini/Sagittarius: Ideas, communication and new experiences will be noticeable traits. They will find it effortless to plan, discuss, propose and learn about how to take action. Sagittarius will see the big picture in a flash and leave it up to Gemini to flesh it out.

Cancer/Capricorn: Cancer wants security and Capricorn wants to organize. So traits such as a desire to build foundations, gather resources, achieve their ambitions and such will be easily seen. There is a desire to be efficient and useful.

Leo/Aquarius: Here the natural balance of the two signs results in this person taking charge and reigning over the duplicated houses (Leo) while attempting to change everything on the opposite side of the chart for the better. Like the saying, “Don’t beat them. Join them, and then beat them.”

Virgo/Pisces: Virgo duplicated houses will be areas of intense activity and criticism. Everything must be perfect and the native will spend much time and energy in organizing and structuring their lives. On the opposite side, Pisces opens them to their imagination instincts and creativity.

Living with Interceptions and Duplications:

So now what you ask? If you have pair (or two or three) of intercepted signs you may feel you don’t have the tools to work with them. But no matter how afflicted your chart, each pair of signs always has their dispositors. The dispositors of the intercepted signs will be the key out of the “locked” signs, and those of the duplicated signs are like backup keys. Without them it will be very difficult to handle the affairs of those houses without objectivity.

Often the intercepted signs will also contain planets. These planets contain the same struggles that the houses to in expressing the intercepted signs. So if Venus is intercepted in Virgo the 11th house, expect trouble with friends and groups taking advantage of your good will and using you to their own ends. The Sun intercepted will have trouble expressing himself, and Pluto intercepted will be unable to take control of the portion of their life ruled by that house.

Planetary Dispositors:
    The Sun disposes Leo
    The Moon disposes Cancer
    Mercury disposes Gemini and Virgo
    Venus disposes Taurus and Libra
    Mars disposes Aries (and sometimes Scorpio)
    Jupiter disposes Sagittarius (and sometimes Pisces)
    Saturn disposes Capricorn (and sometimes Aquarius)
    Uranus disposes Aquarius
    Neptune disposes Pisces
    Pluto disposes Scorpio

I include the traditional rulerships of the planets for more than sheer nostalgia. Often it can happen that the primary dispositor is also intercepted, which is like locking your keys in your running car, so the secondary ruler of a sign is often like that spare key you keep hidden for emergencies. So if Uranus is intercepted in Aquarius, the next dispositor to look to is Saturn.

It’s important to look at the aspects from the dispositors to find the key to unlock the interceptions. It’s always a benefit if the dispositor of an intercepted sign aspects that of a duplicated sign, even if it’s a stressful square or opposition. That’s because the tension of the square will force the need to act on the aspect and not just let the opposition lie there and rot away. But the general tendency is that aspects to a benefic are helpful, while aspects to a malefic say some struggle is needed to get at those interceptions. Flowing aspects make it easier to tap into the lost energy in leaps and bounds, but the temptation can cause the native to take it for granted. Stress aspects have a harder time of it, but slow and steady (and stressful) often wins the race.

If the original dispositor is intercepted, by aspect it may be able to be used to release the interception. So if Uranus is intercepted in Aquarius but makes a trine to the Sun (assuming the Sun is well-placed), that aspect will be a shunt for that repressed the Aquarius energy. I saw such a case and the person in question was much more like an Aquarius than their Gemini Sun would suggest on first glance.

Progressions and transits to the dispositors will offer limited-time opportunities to unlock the interceptions by overpowering the natal energies. For example, if you have the Moon intercepted in Aries and the 10th house and Jupiter is stationing above it, this is the time to take a chance, do something different and make a chance in your work life. It might be changing jobs, going after a promotion or asking for a raise. But transits to such points will not hand it to you – I’ve usually seen that you have to get your butt and go get it. The rare exceptions to this canon are certain natal charts that have other mitigating factors, like a preponderance of Grand Trines. Also, if transits or progressed planets create chart patterns such as a Grand Cross or Grand Trine inclusive of the dispositors they provide the same opportunity.

It sounds complicated on first read, but don’t give up. One analogy - the dispositors and signs are like the little falling blocks in the game of Tetris. You have to find the right shape and size to unlock the row from the rest and make it vanish. I find in doing charts it helps to draw in the aspect lines from the dispositors in a different color to show their additional roles. Interceptions are blocks, but not ones that have to stay blocked forever. Once you are conscious of their actions, you can take steps to allow them to work in your chart in more positive ways.

(Questions are welcome!)

Further Reading:
    Intercepted Signs: Environment vs. Destiny, Joanne Wickenburg, 1978
    Your Hidden Powers, Joanne Wickenburg, AFA, 1992
    Intercepted Signs and Reincarnation, Donald Yott, 1977
    Visual Astrology, Michael Erlewine, 1997
    Last edited by KEishin; February 22nd, 2007, 12:09 PM.
    Astrology Forum Guide- Do you know YOUR planets?
    Certified Astrologer - AMAFA - through the American Federation of Astrologers

Oh my gosh, what a treasure load of information. I can't tell you how much I appreciate getting this kind of information from someone I trust, and have access to. I'm gonna digest this information a little more, but on the first read I didn't have anything that I wanted any more details on.

And , as you probably already know, I appreciate the list of books.

You are a scholar and gentlewoman.

Thanks a million
    Shatril

Ask, believe, receive. Thoughts become things!
    I've made it a point not to regret anything I've done, there is no point in it because you can't change it~~RunningRiot
    democracy is a failed system, people are just too stupid to realise their votes never matter anymore~~Valnorran

Comment

I just found Visual Astrology by Michael Erlewine online at this site.

http://astrologysoftware.com/resourc...logy.asp?orig=

I've made it a point not to regret anything I've done, there is no point in it because you can't change it~~RunningRiot
      democracy is a failed system, people are just too stupid to realise their votes never matter anymore~~Valnorran

Comment

I'm new here~~~just want to thank you both, KEishin for your great educational post, and Shatril for the link to the Visual Astrology site. These are both extremely helpful to me in my studies. I'm a longtime (passionate!) student of astrology, currently working toward testing & certification via organizations like ISAR & NCGR. This is primarily for my own reassurance that I'm fully grounded & ready to move to a more professional level. I joined this forum because of the astute, thoughtful posts I found here. I live in the wide-open-spaces where astrological / metaphysical community is hard to find, so it means a lot to find such a great discussion online. Thanks much!

Comment

Originally posted by BigSkyLady View Post
          I'm new here~~~just want to thank you both, KEishin for your great educational post, and Shatril for the link to the Visual Astrology site. These are both extremely helpful to me in my studies. I'm a longtime (passionate!) student of astrology, currently working toward testing & certification via organizations like ISAR & NCGR. This is primarily for my own reassurance that I'm fully grounded & ready to move to a more professional level. I joined this forum because of the astute, thoughtful posts I found here. I live in the wide-open-spaces where astrological / metaphysical community is hard to find, so it means a lot to find such a great discussion online. Thanks much!
          By Big Sky Lady I'm assuming you are in Montana or there about, and yes that is a lot of wide open spaces,with nothing in between. LOL I didn't know what big sky meant until I went there for a job. It was a tremendous surprise.

Welcome to the forum, and the website. I know you will enjoy it a lot.

Shatril

Comment

Thanks much! Yes, I live in Big Sky Country~~~it took me a lifetime to get here, & it's my heart's home. But I am more thankful than ever for the Internet! I know there must be other astrologers out there on the plains & prairies, but finding them is hard. Anyway, thanks for the warm welcome!

Comment

keishin ... awesome article! gave me some things to think about; i agree with your book selection ... joanne wickenburg is my favorite on the subject.
              you deserve a raise!
              peace & harmony,
              elaine
              'freedom must be exercised to stay in shape!'
              ... visit my blog ... business voodoo

**** LISTEN TO THE sideREAL world ***
              Now available on PodCast
              next LIVE show on SATURDAY ... 17 MARCH 2K7
              5:30 P.M. PST
              "On Da Moon"

"as long as the youth of the world is taught what to think instead of how to think, liberation from ignorance - the problem of the era - will not be achieved." manley p. hall

... do you want to hear some good music ...

sigpichttp://www.blogtalkradio.com/blackpantyhoes

Comment

EXCELLENT article, Keish! Very well written, and some valuable information...

Thanks a million.

This was an area that has stumped me for years...

(Probably because I'm a lousy math student)

Comment

This is EXCELLENT, KEishin. I can see why you are the Astrology forum guide. This is the kind of quality material all astrology practitioners should aspire to write, or else throw in their astrology software! We need more educated astrologers like yourself. Kudos!

I, for one, would like to read your thoughts on the pros and cons of the different house systems.

SF
                  B*B,
                  SoulFire

Comment

Originally posted by SoulFire View Post
                    This is EXCELLENT, KEishin. I can see why you are the Astrology forum guide. This is the kind of quality material all astrology practitioners should aspire to write, or else throw in their astrology software! We need more educated astrologers like yourself. Kudos!

I, for one, would like to read your thoughts on the pros and cons of the different house systems.

SF
                    Well, thank you!

I am planning about talking about house systems in a future article. (I think I have something like that hiding on my hard drive already . . . )
                    Astrology Forum Guide- Do you know YOUR planets?
                    Certified Astrologer - AMAFA - through the American Federation of Astrologers

Comment

Hi Shatril,

Came upon this great thread regarding interceptions.

RedRose

Comment

Doh! It must be old age, as I couldn't find this darn thread earlier. I thought I had seen this thread here, but it didn't come up when I searched for it. I'm not good with key words apparently. I'm glad you found it. Thanks. I have stickied it in the Astrology Guide now.

I won't have any trouble finding it now.

Shatril

Comment

Hi Shatril and all,

Here is the big problem I have with "interceptions" (and it is a BIG problem because I am an Aquarius Sun on the cusp of 11th House, Jupiter Conjunct Uranus at my Nadir - translation: I am an activist for human rights, deeply in love with equality and diversity).

So are people born at the top and bottom of the Earth more messed up? Do we have more hidden and secret problems? More imbalance than, say, Italians? Or people born in Mexico? People from Finland are really weird, and psychologically tied up, but those blessed to be born in the Middle East, have smoother sailing?

I dunna believe it. Rather I believe that astrology breaks down around it's edges. Which is to say, we don't know everything about it yet.

Everyone born in the town of my birth has intercepted signs. Now I am not saying that there isn't something to "intercepted and duplicate houses". What I am saying is that this area needs reserch and, in the meantime we need to compare our scopes using various House Systems. When casting for folks born in the Yukon, use an Equal House chart and then worry about the Koch and Placidus.

Using the Koch House system (which they say is more psychological) I have Virgo Pisces intercepted in the 5th and 11th Houses. My parents were Virgo and Pisces and they stunted me socially - cool. I can see that.

In the Placidus system, I have Aries and Libra intercepted in the 12th and 6th Houses, and my 12th House Arioes Mars is pretty locked up, but Neptune is a littler easier to get at, not much, but some. OK, that is very hard stuff, but I get THAT too.

In the Equal House system, we have no intercepted signs or planets and my Aquarus Sun is on my Midheaven, not the middle of the 10th House (Koch System) or the cusp of my 11th Hosue (Placidus System).

RedRose
                          Last edited by RedRose; November 13th, 2007, 09:26 AM.

Comment

I was wondering about this. You are right that many people in a specific area would have an intercepted sign. I understand what your were saying about the different houses right up you talked about the equal house system. It seemed like you were making a point there, but my limited mind just doesn't get it. Can you elaborate on that a bit for me.

I was actually experimenting some with the equal house system, and I have to say that it didn't quite capture ME. I know that there is a lot said about the different systems being used for different purposes and people being more in line with one system than the other. Maybe you are more a equal house person than I am? Is that possible in your estimation. <runs off to find the threads that match this discussion>

Shatril

http://mysticwicks.com/showthread.ph...=house+systems
                            Last edited by Shatril; November 13th, 2007, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Hi Shatril,

I use the Placidus House System because I wish to use the one being used by the most people - the McHouse System, you might say. My points:

1. When people get born WAY far North, astrologers use the Equal House System, to avoid facing the way out of balance, too many interceptions and duplications, found in those charts. There are no interceptions using the Equal House System. All Houses are the same 30* wide in the Equal House System.

2. AND people who have one set of signs intercepted in the Koch System will often have a whole different set in the Placidus. Which is right? They all are, I guess....

3. This is one of those confusing fuzzy zones, so lets keep doing some research on intercepted Suns!

RedRose
                              Last edited by RedRose; November 13th, 2007, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X