Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is an Aspect?

What is an Aspect?

When one Planet contacts another by conjunction, sextile, square, trine, or opposition, it creates an Aspect. If you consider a 360 degree circle, a conjunction is when 2 (or more) Planets are 0 degrees apart, or conjunct. A sextile is a 60 degree angle, a square is a 90 degree angle, a trine is a 120 degree angle, and an opposition is a 180 degree angle. These major aspects were first noted by Ptolemy. Astrologers usually allow an orb of several degrees for an Aspect. A 3 degree orb is used when casting tite aspects. There are also *minor* aspects that are important; ie, the semisquare (45 degree angle), the sesquiquadrate (135 degrees), the inconjunct (150 degrees).
    Ideals are like stars;
    you will not succeed in touching them with your hands,
    but like the seafaring man on the desert of waters,
    you choose them as your guides,
    and following them you reach your destiny.

Re: What is an Aspect?

Originally posted by Litha
    What is an Aspect?

When one Planet contacts another by conjunction, sextile, square, trine, or opposition, it creates an Aspect. If you consider a 360 degree circle, a conjunction is when 2 (or more) Planets are 0 degrees apart, or conjunct. A sextile is a 60 degree angle, a square is a 90 degree angle, a trine is a 120 degree angle, and an opposition is a 180 degree angle. These major aspects were first noted by Ptolemy. Astrologers usually allow an orb of several degrees for an Aspect. A 3 degree orb is used when casting tite aspects. There are also *minor* aspects that are important; ie, the semisquare (45 degree angle), the sesquiquadrate (135 degrees), the inconjunct (150 degrees).
    Do you work with a standard degree of Orb when determining aspects?

MP B*B
    Krom
    "That if that which thou seekest thou findest not within thee,then thou wilt never find it without thee"

Comment

M*M* Krom,
      Yes, I do and I believe most do as well.
      I like to keep a tight orb, the ibggest is perhaps 10 and that only with the luminaries.
      Ideals are like stars;

Comment

Originally posted by Litha
        M*M* Krom,
        Yes, I do and I believe most do as well.
        I like to keep a tight orb, the ibggest is perhaps 10 and that only with the luminaries.
        I guess I do mine a little different. Mine are based on what house the sign and the degree of coarse ( Angular, Succeedent, or Cadent.) The the biggest degree of orb I use is 12* and that is in an Angular house and only on conjunction and opposition.

MP B*B
        Krom
        "That if that which thou seekest thou findest not within thee,then thou wilt never find it without thee"

Comment

I include other planets....

Merry Merry,
          That would otherwise be "out of orb" if they
          are part of a stellium with the planet or planet that is within orb.
          Love and Lights
          Swannie
          As Above So Below, As Within , So Without,

http://pub18.ezboard.com/fthecrossedswordsfrm4

http://homepages.about.com/swanheart/swansvisionaryart/index.html
          Others are merely mirrors of you. You cannot love or hate something about another person
          unless it reflects to you something you love or hate about yourself.

Comment

Whoa! This is a foreign language to me! ::Backs away slowly::
            "Warriorship is a profession of courage, a calling to valor - not just on the battlefield, but in all of life’s conflicts."
            "If there is any hope for the future, it surely must rest upon the ability to stare unflinchingly into the heart of darkness."
            "The gentleman desires to be halting in speech but quick in action."
            "Do right, fear no man."
            "Men whose acts are at variance with their words command no respect, and what they say has but little weight."
            "Lying is done with words and also with silence."
            "If you stand straight, do not fear a crooked shadow."
            "A man does not extricate himself from difficulty at the expense of his associates."
            "If the enemy leaves a door open, you must rush in."
            "I have a high art, I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me."
            "If he is willing to kill, then he must be prepared to die. It is only right."
            >>>Yah ta hey! Hoka hey!<<<

Comment

planets are plotted on a circular chart.....

Merry Merry
              and a circle has 360 degrees SO.......
              if they are conjunct they are together or within a certain number (=orb of influence) of one another say one plant is 12 degrees Aries and another is 22 degrees Aries they are "within the orb of influence....
              A stellium is BUNCH of planets within an orb; a bunch being three or more >:
              Angles are figured by where the planets are in relation to each other and are called aspects ..... if one planet is directly across the circle say 180 degrees its opposite OR in opposition, and the way the planets energies interact...... is known to astrologers....
              any better .....??
              HUGS
              Swannie

Others are merely mirrors of you. You cannot love or hate something about another person

Comment

Hmm...I think so.....

::still backs away slowly, hoping no one notices::
                "Warriorship is a profession of courage, a calling to valor - not just on the battlefield, but in all of life’s conflicts."
                "If there is any hope for the future, it surely must rest upon the ability to stare unflinchingly into the heart of darkness."
                "The gentleman desires to be halting in speech but quick in action."
                "Do right, fear no man."
                "Men whose acts are at variance with their words command no respect, and what they say has but little weight."
                "Lying is done with words and also with silence."
                "If you stand straight, do not fear a crooked shadow."
                "A man does not extricate himself from difficulty at the expense of his associates."
                "If the enemy leaves a door open, you must rush in."
                "I have a high art, I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me."
                "If he is willing to kill, then he must be prepared to die. It is only right."
                >>>Yah ta hey! Hoka hey!<<<

Comment

This is basically what I use for Aspects and orbs:

Conjunction : 7 Deg. 00 Min
                  Opposition : 6 Deg. 00 Min
                  Square : 6 Deg. 00 Min
                  Trine : 6 Deg. 00 Min
                  Sextile : 4 Deg. 00 Min
                  Semisextile : 2 Deg. 00 Min
                  Semisquare : 2 Deg. 00 Min
                  Sesquiquadrate : 2 Deg. 00 Min
                  Quincunx : 3 Deg. 00 Min
                  Ideals are like stars;

Comment

aspects

When one is dealing with mundane Astrology, the key to all Solar reckoning is the Novile -40 degree aspect. (this information is not in the books) I use the term Novile because there are 9 of them in the Zodiacal circle. This form of delineation should also be incorporated in the natal chart as well. The Novile is a strong aspect, as long as the Sun is approaching (within 5 degrees or so) any 40 degree aspect to any other planet, however, once the aspect is culminated, it quickly dies away. The conventional aspects comprising of basically 30 degree separations, or any multiple there of, is based on Lunar Astrology. The smallest aspect is 10 degrees (decilium) and any Astrological bodies must be partile before the decilium is considered valid.
                    methanespirit. Yggdrasil, the true eternal tree is from heaven, downward to the Earth.

Comment

The novile is also called a nonagen, often used in karmic astrology
                      and connotes recognition & release of past life attitudes that hold you in bondage.
                      Ideals are like stars;

Comment

Septiles Octiles Noviles Deciles Undeciles.....

Merry Merry,
                        I love the other aspects,, but I confess I dont use them very often, but here is a NICE page on those aspects :> .http://www.adze.com/astro/aspects.html#9
                        Love and Aspects of Astrological Magic
                        Swannie
                        Last edited by Swanspirit; August 3rd, 2001, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Noviles

In Sidereal Astrology, the Novile has other ramifications also. However these factors are only functional within the works of the Sidereal Zodiac. First, there is the 40-day prophetic chart which can pin-point an incident within a couple of days that one is heading for. This chart is called the " Solar Ennead". There are no books on this form of Astrology. I have been using Ennead forecasting for almost 30 years now and I have never known it to fail. Second, is the Novienic equivalents, again based on the 40 degree separation (multiplied by 9= 360 degrees) All planteary separations are multplied by 9 thereby allowing all aspects of 40 degrees to show up as conjunctions. But more than this is where thy actually fall within the real stellar Zodiac, and especially the Novienic Moon. That this form of Astrology was used in India many years ago and is the key to determining what will be the major factors of all the factors that make up a Sidereal Prophetic chart, as well as in the natals. That the Novienic equivalents are based on the Sidereal position of 0 degrees of the fixed signs. This is established by reckoning where the beginning of the Sidereal Zodiac is located, which is at the Solar Apex -a point between the stellar constellations of Sagittarius and Capricornus. Thus, the Novienic equivalent to this apex point equates to 0 degrees of Taurus. Again, there are no books on this subject. In order to fully grasp Sidereal Astrology, some rudimentary knowledge is necessary of Astronomy.
                          Last edited by Methanespirit; August 4th, 2001, 02:28 PM.
                          methanespirit. Yggdrasil, the true eternal tree is from heaven, downward to the Earth.

Comment

Until you write one!!!

Merry Merry,
                            Thank you for the heads up with the Saturn -Pluto conj Mars opp.... helpful to know on many levels :> I put a heads up post at my own astrology forum .... The Night Sky ..
                            You are welcome to post there as well :> .
                            The Stars are always out at the Night sky :> , it is a combination astronomy and astrology board, at a much smaller pagan community of old internet friends , but you are more than welcome and invited to post there .... as are any of you that wish to drop by and say HI and post :>, LITHA HINT HINT :> .
                            I have been trying for some time now to help a n astrologer/witch friend of mine (name drop alert) who had his chart done by ...and played music with Dane Rhudyar, and who was a personal friend of Isabel Hickey..... to get over his cyberKlutziness...... and register to post here and at my forum, but alas not yet..... sigh.. BUT if you see someone named IOLO about be sure and say HI ..... we discuss and argue ....uhhh debate debate !!! on a regular basis, via email and icq .
                            So Methane , or Litha or anyone .... what do you think about PLuto going direct? and what is the import of Galactic Center? I know astronomically it is considered to be a HUGE black hole, but what do you consider the meaning astrologically to be? And what happens when Pluto get there ?
                            Love and Light
                            Swannie

Comment

....think I'll mosey on over and have a look see....
                              Ideals are like stars;

Comment

Working...
                              X